Colorado OTC Elk Hunt

BKhunter

Has anyone here ever done an OTC Elk hunt in Colorado? Looking for some advice on what units to look into. This will be a learning experience as I am going to try making this a backpacking trip, so I am leaning towards an archery tag this way the weather is a little more forgiving. Even though I will most likely come home empty handed, it will be more about the experience. Trying to find a unit where I can get an either sex tag to increase my chances. Any advice would be appreciated.

lots of units to choose from.  what kind of shape are you in?  how are you going to get your elk out?  do you want to go with an outfitter?  do you want to sit? do you want spot and stalk? do you want to call?  are you going by yourself? thats a start.   

lots of units to choose from.  what kind of shape are you in?  how are you going to get your elk out?  do you want to go with an outfitter?  do you want to sit? do you want spot and stalk? do you want to call?  are you going by yourself? thats a start.   

I am in my early 30's and in great shape. My goal is to make this a DIY pack hunt and pack in and pack everything out. I would love to go with someone else, but I think this may wind up being a solo mission as all my hunting buddies either don't have the time or aren't to keen on the idea. I wouldn't mind bouncing around glassing some times and then doing some calling. Really looking for a good unit for a newbie to make mistakes and learn.

I did join huntin fool, but found that forum not to be to friendly for beginners. I have done a lot of reading and am trying to find units on my own, but still trying to find people that have done it before and can lend some words of wisdom.

• Like 1

if you want i'll pick a unit for you.  today is the deadline for putting in for limited entry tags, did you put in?  did you put in for a point? do you have any points?  do you want go early bow season(starts end of august) or september before muzzy(muzzy runs 9/10-9/18) or during muzzy or after?  how many days? 

• Like 1

I have been looking into doing just what you are thinking about.  What I did was go to the Colorado website and look up the statistics on hunt success in each unit and each hunt.  Then I eliminated units/times that didn't have OTC licenses as well as units/times that didn't have significant public land to hunt.  After I did it for the past 4 years (to take into account regional variations based on weather) I was left with a few top choices.  I don't have the data with me... its packed SOMEWHERE in a box of all of our stuff for our upcoming move otherwise I'd share.

It takes a lot of work, but you should be able to narrow it down by the stats to a few decent choices. 

if you want i'll pick a unit for you.  today is the deadline for putting in for limited entry tags, did you put in?  did you put in for a point? do you have any points?  do you want go early bow season(starts end of august) or september before muzzy(muzzy runs 9/10-9/18) or during muzzy or after?  how many days? 

Dmandoes,

The reason why I didn't submit yet is I was thinking of doing my research and then going the OTC route when they went on sale July 26th I believe. I probably should buy a point as well just to start accumulating them.  I have 1 elk and 1 antelope point currently in WY but nothing in CO. As far as time I am really open to anything that was another reason I was trying to go the OTC route so if I could find someone to come with I could work around that. The reason I was thinking archery, is less hunters so more for me to bumble around and not step on toes, as well as the weather being more forgiving as I plan on camping out. Thanks for any advice you can offer. Its much appreciated.

Buying points is a great thing to start for you young bucks...........Even if you don't have the time or money to do a hunt now but would like to someday, start accumulating points NOW.  10, 12 or even 15 years from now (blink of an eye, trust me) you'll be in great shape to draw a dynamite tag.

Ask Pygmy...................... :)

• Like 3

Good luck.....dmandoes.......my muzzy is all set up for white tail with the scope and I know you can't use a scope out there. I may give archery a shot and if all goes well try my hand at muzzy next season. This will definitely be a learning experience.

BKhunter,

Good luck on your quest. Prior posts have good suggestions. Doing your homework is very important. Don't leave out

talking to Elk Biologists or game wardens either.

Another thing I would consider is if you have never hunted at higher elevations is selecting an area in which you can get down. Say 8k feet or so. I know this sounds low when talking about Colorado but we have found that 8-9k feet is

comfortable for camp elevation. Some guys can handle higher elevations but if you have never done this before I would

suggest starting at lower elevations. It would be ok to hunt an area where elevation increases above 10k so you can try it out and see how your body reacts to this condition. Being in good shape will benefit you tremendously and elevation

may not effect you like some.

The last thing I would absolutely suggest is taking someone with you. I'm not saying you can't handle a hunt like this

alone but it's challenging enough even when you do have company. My brother in-law and I are also doing a bow hunt this

year during the last week of archery season after the muzzleloader season. We hope to hear some bugling to get into

some bulls.

I'm in no position to do this very moment but a DIY hunt out west like this is definitely something on my bucket list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elmo,

If you ever decide to go let me know. I am trying to build a network of people from NY that would be interested in out west hunts. I already started buying points in CO and WY for elk and antelope. Trying to make this an annual thing.

• Like 3

BKhunter,

Good luck on your quest. Prior posts have good suggestions. Doing your homework is very important. Don't leave out

talking to Elk Biologists or game wardens either.

Another thing I would consider is if you have never hunted at higher elevations is selecting an area in which you can get down. Say 8k feet or so. I know this sounds low when talking about Colorado but we have found that 8-9k feet is

comfortable for camp elevation. Some guys can handle higher elevations but if you have never done this before I would

suggest starting at lower elevations. It would be ok to hunt an area where elevation increases above 10k so you can try it out and see how your body reacts to this condition. Being in good shape will benefit you tremendously and elevation

may not effect you like some.

The last thing I would absolutely suggest is taking someone with you. I'm not saying you can't handle a hunt like this

alone but it's challenging enough even when you do have company. My brother in-law and I are also doing a bow hunt this

year during the last week of archery season after the muzzleloader season. We hope to hear some bugling to get into

some bulls.

Buckman,

Thanks for the tips. I have been skiing in CO and the elevation didn't seem to bother me to much so I hope to be good. Have you been buying points or are you planning on doing the OTC route?

BK

Buckman,

Thanks for the tips. I have been skiing in CO and the elevation didn't seem to bother me to much so I hope to be good. Have you been buying points or are you planning on doing the OTC route?

BK

BK,

I have points for Elk (10) and Mule Deer (11), however, my brother in-law and I will be doing an OTC hunt this year. We already

took care of receiving our tags and points. All of our hunts are DIY style. While we're bow hunting, my father in-law and a friend

of his will be rifle bear hunting in a neighboring (Target) unit. This hunt is actually a combined hunt/scout trip for future

quality Elk and Mule deer hunts.

This will "only" be my third trip. Absolutely love it our there and was very fortunate to kill a bull on my second trip.

During both of my trips, we hunted near Craig for the second rifle season in a zero point zone. My in-laws go on average every other

year. We have following approach to hunting Colorado:

#1. Most important, get points every year!! to build toward future hunts in higher quality zones.

#2. Scout, do your research on quality zones for animal you want to pursue to gauge how many years it may take. Then, if you want to hunt while accumulating points find those which allow you to get points and a tag (second choice or OTC). This way you continue

building points and hunt. We prefer to hunt a zone next to or in the zone of the future quality Elk/Mule deer hunts. Then, we scout with boots on the ground in the future targeted zone. I say we, but it's my father in-law and brother in-law up to this point who

have done most of the homework.

#3. Have fun but be prepared. One hunt was "hot", 70's in October while the next trip was "cold", single digits at night along with

22" of snow. You never know what to expect!! I don't expect snow in Sep. for the bow hunt but in the Colorado mountains, anything is

possible.

• Like 2

BK,

Another point I'll make. When talking about points and future quality hunts there are some units which continue to point climb. There are hunts for Elk and Mule Deer which take 20+ points to get a tag. That's why buying now and every year is so important. If you want to hunt the very best units during the "prime" hunting period for that particular animal, it will take you 20 plus years!! Essentially a once or maybe twice in a lifetime experience.

Our group is doing something a little different. Buying enough points for quality hunts in zones with less than 20 points. Once we use the points we are considering buying just enough points for bow or muzzleloader hunts in the same unit/s. Basically increasing our hunts to the point where we could hunt quality units just about every year. The downside if there is one, we would be hunting during the season when trophy animals are most difficult to kill.  

Edited by buckman4c

I strongly agree on the points about wacky weather.

I hunted October 1-5 in 2012 in Wyoming and it was in the 70s first couple days then we got snowed out 1 of the day's towards the end.

I hunted October 1-4 in 2012 in Wyoming and it was the opposite. Snow rain wind the first day or 2, then it was warm.

One thing you guarantee is that you will have wind. Lastly, keep an eye open for sheds. I always bring back a bunch. Worth an extra few bucks to buy a cardboard box out there and throw all the sheds in them to fly home with in my opinion.

cd49d8e27a4e3a3a59534e1e285abea1.jpg

7956e725470ae55fd41ef7a55d84dcee.jpg

aa171c83d9a632b29eefdeda50f83857.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

unit 19 or 20,

years we don't draw we sometimes still go to visit friends there, mainly hunt all private lands,

years that we don't get tags and figure to stay home we hunt montana or Idaho and here in WY when we get tags.

this year I have tags in CO, drew here in WY and have friends coming to hunt MT , another to trap wolves so will be running around sept like a  nut

Definitely on the list of things I would love to do. I have done hours of research on this to see if I would be able to do it, and i was amazed how affordable it can be. I surely wouldn't mind going with a few guys from here. I suggest you look up randy newman on youtube...he offers a ton of useful info on DIY public land elk hunts.