Turkey gun show off

Buckmaster7600

I hunted with a 935 for a few years. Its the 3 1/2" semi. It patterned well and I took some nice toms with it. The only problem was the bolt release button was big and right on the side of the frame. It was easy to accidentally hit the button, while walking through the woods, or just holding the gun by the frame. If you hit the button, while the gun was loaded, it would release a round from the mag and it would be stuck under the bolt. It happened to me 4 or 5 times. I would have to take the barrel off to clear it. I think the 930 has the same set up.

I finally sold the gun and went back to my 835.

• Like 2

Ill be using my mossberg 535. Never got anything with it, but I haven't had much time to turkey hunt the last 4 years. Ill be using a hevi-shot choke with hevi-shot mag blends and a truglo red dot that came with the gun. 

Sounds like a a winner. how does it pattern?

Edited by ants

Like you, I also have a Winchester 1300 NWTF Edition from many years ago. I had some barrel work done to it by Pro-port, a sister company to Mag-Na-Port. Had the forcing cone lengthened, along with having the barrel ported. This work seems to have improved the overall patterning of the gun. Not so much the porting, but the forcing cone work did.

Jerrysnewboxcallworkedwell.jpg

I have always liked the overall looks of that gun. 

I also like the look's of this gun. The Mossberg 930 Turkey gun. New for 2016.

Price wise, much more reasonable than some of the other brands out there. And from the reports I have been reading on other forums, holds up very nicely!!

85222-media_zpsma4qmbcv.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on that. I was actually looking for a new turkey gun, as I need to get my daughter into something, and I almost pulled the trigger on the Winchester SPX, but the Mossy 930 is the same price. Ill take an auto over a pump any day of the week.

Started off with a single shot 10 gauge.... after a while it got too heavy to lug up/down the mountain.

Then I got the Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag in the early 1990's. It has the NWTF medallion in the stock , but the camo paint eventually started coming off. I painted it a few times and other than that ,  I never had a problem with it.

So today I decided to treat myself to a 2016 Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag ($499) . I also considered the 935 but I didn't feel like dealing with the routine maintenance of the gas piston rings/seals. I remember those problems with my 1100 . Anyway , I hope to Christen it next month.

post-787-0-47963300-1461277910_thumb.jpg

post-787-0-30263900-1461278241_thumb.jpg

post-787-0-58620600-1461278911_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Started off with a single shot 10 gauge.... after a while it got too heavy to lug up/down the mountain.

Then I got the Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag in the early 1990's. It has the NWTF medallion in the stock , but the camo paint eventually started coming off. I painted it a few times and other than that ,  I never had a problem with it.

So today I decided to treat myself to a 2016 Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag ($499) . I also considered the 935 but I didn't feel like dealing with the routine maintenance of the gas piston rings/seals. I remember those problems with my 1100 . Anyway , I hope to Christen it next month.

You could always send your older 835 out to get dipped. It lasts a lot longer than paint.

Sounds like a a winner. how does it pattern?

Patterns great out to 45 yards...maybe more, but that's all I cared to pattern it to. The whole black portion of the target was completely covered in shot with only one or gaps. Wish I had a picture of the pattern. Defiantly recommend these shells and gun. 

You could always send your older 835 out to get dipped. It lasts a lot longer than paint.

Thanks for the suggestion WNYBuckHunter , and your right about the camo dipping lasting longer than paint.

The only problem is , that I cant find any companies that have the original camo dipping pattern available. I guess I'll go with the realtree xtra green pattern when the time comes. Maybe I'll give Mossberg a call and see what they suggest. Thanks again.

• Like 1

bc3b97c46801d5d5d08cbb85195aee92.jpg

Only pic I have on my phone with my Benelli super nova. Pic was from a few years ago. Took down 2 hens during the fall at camp. They sure were good eaten!

Love my Benelli super nova though. That gun had been used and abused for about 8 years now. From being submerged and lost in a pond for a weekend and all the dropping and slamming around it has received on turkey and waterfowl hunts, it still shoots true and never complains. O and the recoil absorbing stock on the benellis is worth every penny to shoot 3 1/2in mags all day on waterfowl! The pattern master choke is also a awesome add on. I can drop birds from crazy long distances with that thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Adkhunter1590

Good thing you clarified it is older pic with 1 bird limit now in play in fall

Haha. I was wondering if anyone was going to flame me for that without catching the "a few years ago" part. Good catch! But ya that pic is like 3-4 falls ago I believe. That area has a very healthy flock and was able to sustain a thinning of hens. We actually started shooting more hens during the fall to increase spring time fun. For years the flock kept growing and the toms just wanted nothing to do with us in the spring as they had so many hens already to choose from. There has been times we would sit on the porch at camp and count over 100 birds in a single group as they walked through our backyard/field. Otsego county has some great turkey hunting!

• Like 1