Reframing Trophy Hunting

tughillmcd

I thought we were talking about the Adirondack Park's land classifications and general conservation practices?  I have no idea how you went about making those assumptions about my overall political, religious and philosophical beliefs, but I'll pretend that post didn't happen.

He goes off on those kind of far fetched outdated thoughts of his at times... Yet he is fine feeding raptors untested whitetails so they can go and spread disease all over the countryside if they happen to pick a positive!  That must be good conservation practices!

• Like 1

The birds would be feeding on those deer if they were still on the edges of the roads. Unlike deer farmers, we don't move them far.

Yeah right...Like those kind of birds are going to travel far and wide and sit on the side of the road and eat. Once again you are full of it.

Unlike tested deer deer farms, Which are the only ones that can move animals, You cry and whine about the slim chance of a bird eating lead but have no problem feeding those same birds untested meat to fly around and drop disease for miles.

Truly shows the so called sportsmen you say you are. Right!

"Green Energy" windmills are a far greater threat to raptors than lead bullets IMHO.  I find it amazing the federal government will give these wind farms permits to "accidentally" kill a certain number of Bald Eagles every year.  They also give permits to kill lots of other endangered raptors.  People concerned about lead bullets should be equally, if not more concerned, about windmills.

post-7653-0-86447100-1463924193_thumb.jp

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

Yeah right...Like those kind of birds are going to travel far and wide and sit on the side of the road and eat. Once again you are full of it.

Truly shows the so called sportsmen you say you are. Right!

I'm not exactly sure what your point is. This bird spent 3 days eating on the side of NY 17 just east of East Branch - and that isn't the only time. That is that overlaid cluster of data points. She also spent time along local 2-lanes and I-87 during migration. She found a pile of dead deer put out by a coyote hunter. That kept her off the roads for over 2 weeks.

post-5300-0-77166900-1463932560_thumb.jp

That bird on the bait while waiting for that young bald eagle to get out of the way of the net

post-5300-0-71863200-1463932868_thumb.jp

"Green Energy" windmills are a far greater threat to raptors than lead bullets IMHO.  I find it amazing the federal government will give these wind farms permits to "accidentally" kill a certain number of Bald Eagles every year.  They also give permits to kill lots of other endangered raptors.  People concerned about lead bullets should be equally, if not more concerned, about windmills.

attachicon.gifEagleDead.jpg

No argument on wind projects. I have a long history on industrial wind issues. There are areas that are effectively off limits due to my efforts. Lead is a separate issue. Just like cats. The wind industry likes to use your same methods, arguing that cats kill many more birds than turbines.

Edited by Curmudgeon

Since we are already off the rails, why not keep going. If you have been around a while, if you care and pay attention, one of the more obvious problems is how women are treated here. You have to be a tough woman to persist even if the men who are a problem are a minority.

OK I have to say Whoa to this....I'd say it to a few other things as well,  but what's the point...Any who, I won't assume to speak for any other woman on this site. Though there as only been one woman I have noticed "bashed" and that would be me.

Now I know why it happens and will continue at some point to happen again. It has little to do with my gender. Mostly personality and a lot to do with ....this is me being polite ,as it were, "other issue." Those  I have no control over.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I'm not exactly sure what your point is. This bird spent 3 days eating on the side of NY 17 just east of East Branch - and that isn't the only time. That is that overlaid cluster of data points. She also spent time along local 2-lanes and I-87 during migration. She found a pile of dead deer put out by a coyote hunter. That kept her off the roads for over 2 weeks.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

That bird on the bait while waiting for that young bald eagle to get out of the way of the net

attachicon.gifCapture2.JPG

No argument on wind projects. I have a long history on industrial wind issues. There are areas that are effectively off limits due to my efforts. Lead is a separate issue. Just like cats. The wind industry likes to use your same methods, arguing that cats kill many more birds than turbines.

Im sure a couple do hit road kills but a heck of alot more hit the piles left for them that are deer from any miles away. And possible disease ridden. Not a safe practice for the landscape!

Im sure a couple do hit road kills but a heck of alot more hit the piles left for them that are deer from any miles away. And possible disease ridden. Not a safe practice for the landscape!

We keep them closer to home than DOT does.

OK I have to say Whoa to this....I'd say it to a few other things as well,  but what's the point...Any who, I won't assume to speak for any other woman on this site. Though there as only been one woman I have noticed "bashed" and that would be me.

Now I know why it happens and will continue at some point to happen again. It has little to do with my gender. Mostly personality and a lot to do with ....this is me being polite ,as it were, "other issue." Those  I have no control over.

Simple questions Grow: What happened to Jennifer? Why is she gone?

Edited by Curmudgeon

Simple questions Grow: What happened to Jennifer? Why is she gone?

I really do not know...I will say I do not recall any "bashing"...Isn't she the artist that did the duck stamp?...Perhaps she got busy,bored,or didn't care for the general over all nastiness that occurs in many posts . Which has nothing to do with  gender...hhhmmm well in some regard.....

You beat me to it Doc.  You are so right.  Not joining the NRA because of a single issue, that is a lot more complicated than a purist is willing to admit, is helping the antis take away ALL gun rights.

Because of one issue, some people are willing to jeopardize the entire program.  I don't support a lot of what the American government does either, but I still pay my taxes.

Here are some of the things Doc has condoned over the years:

Predator extirpation

Lead ammo

Closing the state pheasant program

Removing the Governor

Repealing the safe act

Here are some of the things he expressed opposition about:

Conserving wild pheasant

Crossbows

Dove hunting

Non-game and endangered species projects and their funding

Here are some of his absurd opinions:

Grouse are rare in NY state or in his region

I also believe he claimed there are few rabbits as well

Nobody hunts turkey in the fall

Nobody hunts pheasants

Take Home Message:

Doc divides the hunting community

Doc turns off non-hunters

Doc reinforces the propaganda of anti hunting organizations

Doc discourages people from pursuing grouse, woodcock, rabbits etc, claiming they cannot be found

Doc opposes opportunities which will offset declining hunting participation

Doc is probably an anti hunter pretending to be a hunter. 

Doc is not the only one on here.

Everything you all think helps hunting, hurts it

Edited by mike rossi

Predator extirpation

Lead ammo

Closing the state pheasant program

Removing the Governor

Repealing the safe act

Here are some of the things he expressed opposition about:

Conserving wild pheasant

Crossbows

Dove hunting

Non-game and endangered species projects and their funding

Here are some of his absurd opinions:

Grouse are rare in NY state or in his region

I also believe he claimed there are few rabbits as well

Nobody hunts turkey in the fall

Nobody hunts pheasants

Take Home Message:

Doc divides the hunting community

Doc turns off non-hunters

Doc reinforces the propaganda of anti hunting organizations

Doc discourages people from pursuing grouse, woodcock, rabbits etc, claiming they cannot be found

Doc opposes opportunities which will offset declining hunting participation

Doc is probably an anti hunter pretending to be a hunter. 

Doc is not the only one on here.

Everything you all think helps hunting, hurts it

You are a Joke. People Tell you the truth and you spit shit at them. Hope about you go to some of theses places and get the truth shoved in your face. Your stupid so called new seasons on song birds and wasted money on put and shoot game birds. Yeah i bet that brings in all kinds of new hunters!

• Like 1

Removing the Governor

Repealing the safe act

You guys don't condone these things?

I think the original post was about being an NRA member.  Doc is a member.  IMO, that makes him better than most of the gun owners in NY state.  

Opinions vary.  That's a good thing.  The burden is on others to discredit them with facts.  That's also a good thing.  Is attacking other hunters a good thing for hunting?

So..........

How do we make people see how hunting older bucks can be a good thing, as well as letting those who shoot does or spikes still be a viable way to hunt?

How do we restructure the way people look at a trophy hunter?

• Like 2

You guys don't condone these things?

I think the original post was about being an NRA member.  Doc is a member.  IMO, that makes him better than most of the gun owners in NY state.  

Opinions vary.  That's a good thing.  The burden is on others to discredit them with facts.  That's also a good thing.  Is attacking other hunters a good thing for hunting?

If you are asking me if I condone the safe act, the answer is no. However, I knew from the beginning it was not going to be repealed nor was the Governor going to be voted out. All the wind was bravado. People who (actually) hunt have no time for "blow harden". 

Andrew Cuomo is pro hunting. He was more than willing to work with the hunting community for several years. The safe act was and is a done deal. It should have been considered a disagreement and the hunting community should have continued to work with AC. Numerous opportunities were blown and it is unlikely we will see another governor as in tune with hunting as him. 

The safe act and posturing about AC was a red herring and grandstanding to dumb down the hunting community. Doc and others had no shortage of time to fish for red herring when there were other fish to fry. 

If you are asking me if I condone the safe act, the answer is no. However, I knew from the beginning it was not going to be repealed nor was the Governor going to be voted out. All the wind was bravado. People who (actually) hunt have no time for "blow harden". 

Andrew Cuomo is pro hunting. He was more than willing to work with the hunting community for several years. The safe act was and is a done deal. It should have been considered a disagreement and the hunting community should have continued to work with AC. Numerous opportunities were blown and it is unlikely we will see another governor as in tune with hunting as him. 

The safe act and posturing about AC was a red herring and grandstanding to dumb down the hunting community. Doc and others had no shortage of time to fish for red herring when there were other fish to fry. 

So...

Your buddy Andy is pro hunting, and anti gun....Not sure how that works.

The "Cuomo Act" was the dumbest law ever passed. Even people in other states think he's donkeys backside for putting it into place. All it did was make many people irate due to his ignorance on knowing the difference between a "sporting rifle" and what he and his minions think an assault rifle is. Will the Cuomo Act stop criminals from having these guns? No! 

Moving on....

If you want to jump on Doc or other members for having an opinion that differs from yours, maybe try using BabySoft. I hear it helps with chafing.

Mike, you do the same damn thing with your anti-lead and all about dove hunting.

Now, if we can get back on topic....

How do we reformat the way people look at trophy hunters?

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 1

Doc can be very intellectually nimble to one issue while simultaneously being obtuse with regard to another. That is how I am positive he is a fraud....

One issue is Doc tell it how it is and speaks the truth. At his age he was hunting when the population of some animals were low while some where high. He then hunted when small game was more than plentiful and he now has hunted when small game is all but gone. Feed for the flying and four legged vermin.

You may want to listen because while Doc was hunting and growing with the hunting world you were just an itch in your daddy's Levi's!

If anyone on this site would be considered a fraud it would be you. Tell us again how many Songbirds there are in Ny state!

• Like 1