First year turkey hunting

Biggest04

Not sure where to go but call softly and infrequently is probably my best advice. Keep very.very still at all times. perhaps a stick blind in front of you to hide hand movements of calling and moving gun. Them birds can hear and see better than you can imagine. Try a slate call, pretty easy to use. Yelps, purrs, clucks can all be done on a slate. I've heard worse sounding hens than my own calling. Cadence, what to say and how loud and you should be good.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/2/2016 at 5:35 PM, ....rob said:

I would look into Thatcher Park. You have to get a parking permit though. 

http://nysparks.com/parks/128/

There are other state lands in that area as well, just look at the DEC site.

There is no spring turkey hunting in Thatcher. I would try Partridge Run. It's much larger and holds a good population of turkeys.

I took the time to learn the mouth call. I can make 4 distinctly different sounds now and it keeps my hands free and on the trigger. Not that I get much chance to shoot Turkey in the woods. Its fun, but bloody difficult to draw them away from the surrounding fields. Worth the challenge and time in the woods tho.

9 hours ago, grampy said:

There is no spring turkey hunting in Thatcher. I would try Partridge Run. It's much larger and holds a good population of turkeys.

I know that now. My post was a year old, before I moved out this way and started hunting the area.

There's Partridge Run ( as mentioned ), Margaret Burke, and Black Creek Marsh as well. If your willing to drive a bit, here's a link to some public land.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/48283.html

Not to mention the state land in 4A.