Mountain Men

Tughill Tamer

Is Yukon Men done for the season I haven't seen any new ones on in awhile?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

There are two new episodes on next Friday, May 16. Last two of the season I believe.

I thought of two interesting Bushcraft/hunting shows people might like...

1.) The Outdoor channel every friday night (channel 408 in the southern tier Time Warner) has "Movie Night" at 9pm I think. Check out their Twitter for tonight's movie: https://twitter.com/OUTDChannel/status/730820016707383296

2.) Believe it or not: Naked and Afraid teaches you stuff! I didn't watch one single episode until last month and it's been on TV for like six years. They all make a "first fire" and there is a substantial amount of hunting from scratch with no equipment. Yes they stay in the rainforest too long, the Eastern Woodlands would be much better but at least in the first Season I watched, there was very little drama. My sister told me to watch it and I said no for a long time, then tried it and it has redeeming values even though some of it you need to FF through.

Edited by NYHuntFish

What I find interesting about those shows is that they make it look easier to live off the land down here in NY state than way up there in Alaska.   Those folks seem to struggle most of the time to get game and fish.  In one or two long weekends up on the St Lawrence or out on Lake Erie, we always come back with plenty enough fish for the whole year (mostly smallmouth bass) and putting 3 or 4 whitetails in the freezer each fall is seldom an issue.  Our longer growing season also makes garden vegetables plentiful.  Even the scenery is better up in the Adirondacks (Check out Robin's videos in the "big woods" section).   More than anything, watching them programs makes me appreciate how good we have it here.   Watching them is entertaining, and better than most of the crap on TV, but has pretty much eliminated any urge I may have had to visit the great state of Alaska.          

What I find interesting about those shows is that they make it look easier to live off the land down here in NY state than way up there in Alaska. Those folks seem to struggle most of the time to get game and fish. In one or two long weekends up on the St Lawrence or out on Lake Erie, we always come back with plenty enough fish for the whole year (mostly smallmouth bass) and putting 3 or 4 whitetails in the freezer each fall is seldom an issue. Our longer growing season also makes garden vegetables plentiful. Even the scenery is better up in the Adirondacks (Check out Robin's videos in the "big woods" section). More than anything, watching them programs makes me appreciate how good we have it here. Watching them is entertaining, and better than most of the crap on TV, but has pretty much eliminated any urge I may have had to visit the great state of Alaska.

I would love to visit there, but don't know that I'm ready to start making a living of the land there

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What I find interesting about those shows is that they make it look easier to live off the land down here in NY state than way up there in Alaska.   Those folks seem to struggle most of the time to get game and fish.  In one or two long weekends up on the St Lawrence or out on Lake Erie, we always come back with plenty enough fish for the whole year (mostly smallmouth bass) and putting 3 or 4 whitetails in the freezer each fall is seldom an issue.  Our longer growing season also makes garden vegetables plentiful.  Even the scenery is better up in the Adirondacks (Check out Robin's videos in the "big woods" section).   More than anything, watching them programs makes me appreciate how good we have it here.   Watching them is entertaining, and better than most of the crap on TV, but has pretty much eliminated any urge I may have had to visit the great state of Alaska.          

I thought that was very well put.

One other note on shows while I'm spewing all this out there....If you're not subscribed to Youtube channels about Bushcraft, you're missing out on what I believe is one of the Great things created by the internet. For instance, Dave Canterbury's channel, "Wilderness Outfitters" has literally changed my life. I've learned about and practiced books, methods, tactics, theories, etc. He's done more for me than probably anyone else in the regard of Bushcraft (yes I hate that word, it is what it is).

Here is his channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters/videos

How I do it: 1.) "Subscribe" 2.) When he puts out a new video you'll see it under your "channels" in Youtube. Works from the web or your smartphone. I have a LIST of other Excellent channels so just ask if you want a few I really admire. 

Edited by NYHuntFish