Timber Rattler Spotted At Letchworth

DirtTime

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/rochester/news/2016/05/27/black-timber-rattlesnake-letchworth-state-park-rochester-buffalo.html

Interesting.

They say we have two species, The timber and the golden. I never heard of the golden until reading this. I thought we have the timber, the copperhead, and the massasauga. That would be three, add in the golden and that makes four.

No such thing as a golden rattlesnake...Some reporter who don't know **** is referring to a yellow phase timber rattler as a " golden " as if it is a distinct species..

Three venomous snakes in NY....The copperhead, the missauga rattler and the timber rattler in it's several color phases..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 5

No such thing as a golden rattlesnake...Some reporter who don't know **** is referring to a yellow phase timber rattler as a " golden " as if it is a distinct species..

Three venomous snakes in NY....The copperhead, the missauga rattler and the timber rattler in it's several color phases..

That's what I thought. I been looking up "Golden Rattler" and found nothing to state they are an actual species.

Oh, and just for a giggle, the massasauga is also known as the "pygmy" rattler. LOL. 

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 2

The guy (Ken Wallace) who keeps finding these rattlers in the park is a friend of mine.

He's also an incredible flintnapper, shed hunter, and very knowledgeable guy about many things in nature.

No surprise to me at least that this is his second rattler find in as many years here!

He has a you tube channel that documents a lot of his time spent in the park and many of his encounters, along with some great knapping, and I believe some caching videos.

I would love to have an opportunity to shoot one of those suckers with the camera just once!

• Like 3

The guy (Ken Wallace) who keeps finding these rattlers in the park is a friend of mine.

He's also an incredible flintnapper, shed hunter, and very knowledgeable guy about many things in nature.

No surprise to me at least that this is his second rattler find in as many years here!

He has a you tube channel that documents a lot of his time spent in the park and many of his encounters, along with some great knapping, and I believe some caching videos.

I would love to have an opportunity to shoot one of those suckers with the camera just once!

Just to keep things straight, I am not discounting the video, or your friend wooly. I am discounting the author of the written article for getting a few things wrong.