Non resident pistol permit(s) for those who travel

turkeyfeathers

So 7 years ago I took my non resident Utah class. It got me 32 states but as of late PA declines recognizing it. That was in Rochester but since then Buffalo area has Utah/Florida non resident classes wrapped into one. Obviously you need a NYS permit. You can also do a online New Hampshire which gets you as bunch of states with no course involved just send in your check. Easy peasy to drive to PA sheriffs office to get a non resident permit in 15 minutes. I recently learned that a few states do recognize NYS's permit as well. Just throwing this timbit of info for those who travel .

I was thinking about doing a CO or WY back country hunt this September. I currently have a NYC premise permit, along with the hunter authorization card. I wanted to bring my side arm with me into the field. Any idea if this will fly out of state? I figure a NYC permit should be good as gold anywhere. Getting on a plane just freaks me out as I feel like there is some hidden law I will miss that will turn me into a criminal over night.

So 7 years ago I took my non resident Utah class. It got me 32 states but as of late PA declines recognizing it. That was in Rochester but since then Buffalo area has Utah/Florida non resident classes wrapped into one. Obviously you need a NYS permit. You can also do a online New Hampshire which gets you as bunch of states with no course involved just send in your check. Easy peasy to drive to PA sheriffs office to get a non resident permit in 15 minutes. I recently learned that a few states do recognize NYS's permit as well. Just throwing this timbit of info for those who travel .

A friend of mine with a NYS Pistol Permit was recently told when he drove over to PA for an out of state permit that PA no longer issues them to residents of NY

I was thinking about doing a CO or WY back country hunt this September. I currently have a NYC premise permit, along with the hunter authorization card. I wanted to bring my side arm with me into the field. Any idea if this will fly out of state? I figure a NYC permit should be good as gold anywhere. Getting on a plane just freaks me out as I feel like there is some hidden law I will miss that will turn me into a criminal over night.

Make sure you declare your pistol and that its locked in your checked bags are you will be arrested at the airport

I took a class for NH, FL, and UT but only sent in paperwork for NH. So now I have NY and NH. If I remember correctly, the Florida and UT didn't give me anything extra that I cared enough about to pay for.

A friend of mine with a NYS Pistol Permit was recently told when he drove over to PA for an out of state permit that PA no longer issues them to residents of NY

They are issuing them to residents of NY in Scranton, PA. I got mine in Montrose but soon after they stopped accepting them.

so difficult and costly to travel with a gun.  my life would be threatened by some in some states but I think a federal law for universal permitting requirements and guidelines would be good.  no worries just one set of laws to abide by and take your pistol to any US state or territory.  what states recognize what is just political money grabbing BS.

• Like 1