Yet again,rain....

growalot

Just missed us..Like one road south and 2 miles north...not. good. They sprayed the corn field yesterday...I had to shut all Windows...the dust he kicked up blew toward the house. So much of it that it looked like fog rolling in..

Hope the hedge row caught what every amount of Roundup was in that dust..

All my equipment as covered in a thick layer of dust...strip down and thorough hosing is on my list of must do' s....better rain soon

And from what I just saw, it looks like no rain until next Tuesday for western New York. I hope everybody has better watering systems for their gardens than I do. I have to get it from a pond and carry it over to the garden in sprinkling buckets. And also I just put in a section of grass. There is no watering for that. That's at the mercy of the weather.

The weatherman always seems to get it wrong. My phone app. said sunny, for yesterday, which it was most of the day, then clouded up and started to rain about 6pm last night?

Then today was suppose to pour and thunder out......sunny here? What gives with this forecasting!!!!

Doc I have two plastic 55gal. Barrels....I put one in the gator,use to use a small wagon,the other in garden. Fill one and transfer to to the other.

I have the perfect setup if I could just find a few minutes to spare. The barn is up on an elevated pad right next to the garden (20 feet away) and is maybe 5' higher that the garden. I need to hook up a rain barrel to the barn gutters and set up a gravity feed system to the garden. Ha-ha.... just another addition to a long, long, long list of "things to do when I get time".

We have one of those farm tanks Mr B got me years ago to water the garden...But his Dad had water issues at their place so I loaned it to him...15yrs later when he sold the place I got it back last year...lol I will be setting it up for next year because the Gator has hook ups built into it for the pump...I think its 200 gals and his dad set it up so you can attach a pump and hose ...I just need to put it on the wagon so I can fill and park it in the garden easily. He had to hire some one to haul in water to fill it...hhhmmm I bet that yard is looking pretty yellow this year.

Edited by growalot

I just spent hours weeding and putting 55 gals of water in the garden and still didn't water every thing...It is so so dry out there...

Clover needs mowing and but I'm afraid to do it right now it's holding the moisture...and I have no idea when we will see rain again...ready to plant but I fear the birds will get the seed before it even comes close to germinating...I bet that corn I just planted a few days ago will end up very thin....irregardless as to how fast those shiny pin wheels are turning...

Edited by growalot

The lack of snow melt and no real spring time rain sure is a problem.Rain barrels are a great way of conserving water from our wells but with no measurable rainfall to fill them I have had no choice to pull warter from the hose for the garden/flowers.

Not sure we've had any measurable rain here in Lancaster (WNY) since youth turkey season. Unless you consider 1/10" of an ince the other day but that ain't squat. And it's going to be hotttttttt the next 3 days. Our hostas and strawberries seem to like the heat and dry weather though.

Not sure we've had any measurable rain here in Lancaster (WNY) since youth turkey season. Unless you consider 1/10" of an ince the other day but that ain't squat. And it's going to be hotttttttt the next 3 days. Our hostas and strawberries seem to like the heat and dry weather though.

I haven't got any strawberries that I planted but the wild ones sure are doing well.Hosta's are doing very good was weed wackng and couldn't help but to cut them

I haven't got any strawberries that I planted but the wild ones sure are doing well.Hosta's are doing very good was weed wackng and couldn't help but to cut them

no strawberries yet either but plants themselves are liking the heat and drought. Ya , going to need to split hostas soon.

Those new strawberry plants I put in last month are blossoming like crazy! It's killing me having to pick them all off...but I'll have great plants this fall and will be able to pick a few berries when they reloading then...I took the clover I planted in the garden and have been munching them...It works great...They dry to a nice straw consistency very fast.

• Like 1

I have to tell you, it's not looking good. I went to tractor supply this a.m. and hit the back roads...I saw farmers coming out of both corn and bean fields heads down and looking like the wind was dropped out of their sails...the corn in many places looks like tightly twisted 9" ropes stick out of the ground and the beans just stopped growing all together. I went into the water hose section of TS and it looked like winter just before and after a big storm ,where snow shovels are at a premium and no where to be found...out of 3 shelves they had just 3 rolls all 50-60 dollars...every thing else...gone...lol

We were to get rain on Tuesday 60% chance, Now its Friday 60% chance... :dontknow::umbrage:

We best get out those dancing shoes and start hoofing up a rain dance.......The farmers that plants corn behind us...disced the field and left it ...furrows and all....The farmer next to him Is haying his  big round bales...not getting as many as usual...

Edited by growalot