First shots out of htx

stoneam2006

So got sight good enough at 15 yards to shoot consistently these are left over arrows mine are on order...no stabilizers or quiver yet just single pin and Qad drop away. First thing I noticed was how quiet this bow is I mean quiet quiet what a difference not to mention how smooth the bow shoots it holds back nice doesn't want to jump forward at all overall I'm stoked can't wait to get some longer ranges dialed in to shoot some deer.

2016 matthews htx

28 draw

60 # dw

Trophy Ridge single pin

Qad drop away

bc94f4f6e6de8c548f2610f89fcb16af.jpga49640716caf5fcd884c37784e8093aa.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I bought used off archery talk said to have 50 shots on it....new strings installed, what ever cams I wanted for draw length, 100 sight,150 Qad rest, paper tuned 900 total to my door. Bare bow at shop was 899 so figured I did alright

Steep for me as I am only one working as wife is stay at home mom but as many here and many I have talked to said buy once cry once. I plan to make this my 6 yr Olds first hunting rig in 5 or 6 years hopefully. So money well spent

Edited by stoneam2006
  • Like 4

I bought used off archery talk said to have 50 shots on it....new strings installed, what ever cams I wanted for draw length, 100 sight,150 Qad rest, paper tuned 900 total to my door. Bare bow at shop was 899 so figured I did alright

Steep for me as I am only one working as wife is stay at home mom but as many here and many I have talked to said buy once cry once. I plan to make this my 6 yr Olds first hunting rig in 5 or 6 years hopefully. So money well spent

Defiantly a good buy and good deal! You wont need another bow for 10 years unless the little guy ends up wanting it. 

• Like 1

My wife will kill me if I miss...lol that was my excuse for "needing" a new one

HAHA.... may have screwed yourself there.  once you get home I'd start the conversation with the deer activity seemed slower than it should be.

• Like 4

HAHA.... may have screwed yourself there. once you get home I'd start the conversation with the deer activity seemed slower than it should be.

Yea it won't be I missed on that's for sure...as long as I don't need to keep buying more arrows lol....best part is she likes venision more than me

• Like 1

You seem to be having better results with your new rig then I'm having with mine , at the rate I'm going ,my new bow will be my back up.

not to hijack the thread....  PM me or start another and I and some other bow savy folks I'm sure will try to help the best we can.

• Like 1

I don't really enough info gathered to determine what the actual problem is just yet . Here's a quick run down so far , i took 2 bows to the range , the Pure which hits a half dollar at 40 yards no problem , now the problem bow , i just got a 2015 Elite I 31, i realized i only 3 arrows to shoot , 2 arrows would always hit high at 30 yards and one was dead on , i didn't have a marker to number the arrows (guess i could have kept the good shooter seperate) Next time ill bring more arrows , i also lost the bottom limb damper and need to get the new one on still . My left to right was fine and the arrows that shot high were both the same distance above the mark every time.

2015 elite I31

70 pound draw

Whisker biscuit 

3 pin rush sight

Arrows are 400 g easton axis

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

I don't really enough info gathered to determine what the actual problem is just yet . Here's a quick run down so far , i took 2 bows to the range , the Pure which hits a half dollar at 40 yards no problem , now the problem bow , i just got a 2015 Elite I 31, i realized i only 3 arrows to shoot , 2 arrows would always hit high at 30 yards and one was dead on , i didn't have a marker to number the arrows (guess i could have kept the good shooter seperate) Next time ill bring more arrows , i also lost the bottom limb damper and need to get the new one on still . My left to right was fine and the arrows that shot high were both the same distance above the mark every time.

2015 elite I31

70 pound draw

Whisker biscuit 

3 pin rush sight

Arrows are 400 g easton axis

that's always something good to do... I number all my arrows with a sharpie marker.  a number is written on a vane for each arrow.  arrows break down and become less consistent after shot into stuff over time. 

important things to remember when it comes to arrows is your bow is a fast bow.  it has a brace height less than 6.5" which is equivalent to shooting 5 lbs more draw weight when selecting arrows or checking for correct spine.  you'd add about 3 lbs of draw weight for every 25 grains more than a head or point that's 100 grains.  arrow length often correlates with draw length but arrows are sized by using the actual length of the shaft versus draw length.  biscuit doesn't really effect shaft selection to correctly tune I've found.  a drop away can be more forgiving at times but a biscuit does absolutely fine.  slightly too stiff is better than slightly too weak.  especially when you plan on throwing on fixed blade heads come fall.  a weak spine will over react to a center shot or nock/rest height that's off.  sounds like your center shot is good.  that means as long as you're not canting the bow and shooting poorly at all, your right to left shouldn't drift at all as you move back in yardage.

assuming you've got a point weight of 100grains and your arrow shaft lengths are somewhere between 26.5 - 28.5" long, you should be shooting 340 spined arrows.  when you say 400 gr I assume you meant weight.  if you meant spine as in the shafts have a "400" on them, then you should probably get stiffer arrows.  for weight anything over a minimum of 350 grains (5 grains per lb of draw weight) is fine.  a heavier arrow will help penetration and make the bow shoot quieter and with less vibration.

Edited by dbHunterNY

it is possible your nock point is off a little or rest is off a little.  if you can't weed out a bad arrow then maybe that could be looked at further.  rest height should have the shaft centered at the same height as the rest mounting hole called the berger button hole.  anyway start at the top of this info and work through it to rule stuff out.

I just got back from talking with Jeff . I was there when he did his checks on the bow ,including through paper ,so im confident the bow isn't the problem , my arrows were hitting the same each shot so i can safely remove the archer as the problem , my homework was to return to the range with numbered arrows and weed out the ones that wander from the rest . The next step is to start indexing nocks and see if that corrects the problem ,if it does then he'll strip and refletch those arrows to keep the cock side inline with the rest. Thanks for the responses so far guys ,ill post back after i get some shooting in.

I just got back from talking with Jeff . I was there when he did his checks on the bow ,including through paper ,so im confident the bow isn't the problem , my arrows were hitting the same each shot so i can safely remove the archer as the problem , my homework was to return to the range with numbered arrows and weed out the ones that wander from the rest . The next step is to start indexing nocks and see if that corrects the problem ,if it does then he'll strip and refletch those arrows to keep the cock side inline with the rest. Thanks for the responses so far guys ,ill post back after i get some shooting in.

didn't have this info so I threw out what could've been.  your plan sounds like a good one to me.  if you index the nock I wouldn't even strip and refletch an arrow if it's shooting good.  just throw some "up" arrows on the top vane.  if you're worried about nocking it wrong during those moments when a deer is coming in just don't have it as a back up arrow at the ready.  move it accordingly in your quiver or whatever you have to do.

• Like 1

f9761f70d4187a723b7e85504ae337a5.jpge90e74c0c6eb44b152510f546739185c.jpg

But I really need to concentrate on my form...hit a few times normally from fatigue after 30 ish shots...won't wear and armband bc that won't break the bad habbit...

good to maintain muscle strength into fall but shooting a good 1st arrow and then walking away will do much better than shooting a good 10th arrow and then 20 not so good arrows after it.  muscle memory is a crazy repeatable and accurate thing when you don't think about it and just do something.  that can hurt or help you though. levi morgan, one of the best archers in the world, was forced by his dad to shoot 1 arrow at a time.  each time he had to walk back to the target.  no half ass shots or form.  otherwise it wouldn't be worth walking down the get the arrow.  similarly in hunting it's that first arrow that counts.  doesn't matter if you shoot better than anyone else can after the first shot if that first shot is less than stellar.

• Like 1

good to maintain muscle strength into fall but shooting a good 1st arrow and then walking away will do much better than shooting a good 10th arrow and then 20 not so good arrows after it. muscle memory is a crazy repeatable and accurate thing when you don't think about it and just do something. that can hurt or help you though. levi morgan, one of the best archers in the world, was forced by his dad to shoot 1 arrow at a time. each time he had to walk back to the target. no half ass shots or form. otherwise it wouldn't be worth walking down the get the arrow. similarly in hunting it's that first arrow that counts. doesn't matter if you shoot better than anyone else can after the first shot if that first shot is less than stellar.

Yes I am going to try and limit myself here out...just trying to get as much time behind the grip as possible by hunting season not to mention it's a absolute blast to shoot. Maybe I'll try that approach and walk back every time. I'm sick of getting bit lol

If you're hitting your arm even because of fatigue I would shorten your draw, trust me the pain from that bruise isn't even close to missing a buck on a cold November morning because your sting hit your jacket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually taking to shop this week with me to get measured and adjusted if needed...I will be posting form pics as soon as I can wife's been busy hadn't had anyone to take pic.

• Like 2

Remember hold the bow in the crotch between your index finger and tour thumb....don't wrap your fingers around the grip. Also have a slight bend in your elbow when at full draw. If you cant achieve this bend the draw length my be incorrect....pretty sure your bow can be adjusted to .5 inch draw lengths

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you're hitting your arm even because of fatigue I would shorten your draw, trust me the pain from that bruise isn't even close to missing a buck on a cold November morning because your sting hit your jacket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on....so I will be dropping bow back off for the 27.5 mods instead of 28. Shot with neighbor today and did some drills with him and also will be raising my peep sight its 1/8'1/4 low. Also with this being my first single pin sight I had that completly backwards instead of starting at bottom for range I started at the top...learning curve but still stoked and can't wait.

Also learned that probably every bow I have ever owned (none ever bought new or properly set up) has been to long of draw so my muscles are not used to the bent elbow. All and all good morning of shooting with neighbor can't wait to get this thing dialed in