EHD....

growalot

QDM had an excellent article on EHD and watering holes.I can't link it not on PC. It is a good reminder to me why I collected and recycled old bath tubs to water the wild critters on our place...those and stock tanks and pond liners. mosquitoes I can control with solar fountains or low dose dunk, and cleaning. Midge/no see-ums won't can't breed in them. They are in shaded areas,no mud,no shallow edges..etc,etc...

Edited by growalot

QDM had an excellent article on EHD and watering holes.I can't link it not on PC. It is a good reminder to me why I collected and recycled old bath tubs to water the wild critters on our place...those and stock tanks and pond liners. mosquitoes I can control with solar fountains or low dose dunk, and cleaning. Midge/no see-ums won't can't breed in them. They are in shaded areas,no mud,no shallow edges..etc,etc...

we're lucky to not have EHD here in NY.  many of our natural water sources are flowing and not stagnant.  things like ponds and others are usually littered with frogs and also have an inlet and outlet.

• Like 1

That was one thing i wanted to try to do this summer was make one or 2 small hand made watering holes, or tanks. There isn't too much water around my place, but where there is, it is all spring fed ponds, underground springs and run offs.. like to rent a dozer sometime next summer..

Im very fortunate to have a stream that runs the entire length of my property and flows in even the driest/hottest times of the year. And i have multiple natural springs that leach out water from the hillside in a few spots. Very good drinking source for all critters.

actually didn't read the article yet despite I should've.  one of the big things contributing to a downward deer population trend in the US is people thinking they're practicing QDM still whack a ton of doe despite getting hit with things like EHD, instead of doing the right thing by backing off and factoring it in.  takes multiple seasons for a population to come back from a situation like that.

• Like 3