Who hunts Public Land ?

shu9265

If you guys saw a good spot on state land far away from the beaten path and a tree had marks on it from a climber, would you set up near there and hope that person is not there or going to show up.

Sure, as long as theres nobody right nearby.

Hope they are dressed in B/O if it is during gun season.

I mainly hunt on Federal and State land .  Alabama Swamps.

Last year, I went in during Aug.  Sept. looking for new places to hunt.  Did most of my traveling by canoe.

Well, I found what I was looking for.  Stands of Giant Oaks.

Anyhow, I set up some cams and got an idea of what was around in the area.

Went all thru bow season with no one showing up in the area.  I was thinking I was gonna be in deer hunting heaven.

Yeah right !  I paddled up in there the first morning, and when I got to where I was going to hunt there was already a canoe there ! ! 

Well, OK this is a big area. 

When I got to where I had my stand, as I am walking to it and some guy is shinning his light at me. Here he is in a tree not 50 feet from my stand !

So after about 2 hours of that, I decided to move deeper into the area in search of a more secluded stand site.  As I was sneaking about, there was orange spots in tree's all around me !

All that time, I thought I was gonna be alone.  Boy was I mistaken.

I guess that is what can happen on state land.

Only good thing, after the first day, I was all alone again!

I've had someone use the actual tree I scouted out the day or two before I was hunting the spot. Once, I hunted some DEP land during archery, nobody, ever.. Southern gun opener, LOL couldn't even park! It pays to spend a few hours scouting secondary spots nearby. They may not be the prime spot, but with the orange army running amuck, deer will go just about anywhere to escape..

If you guys saw a good spot on state land far away from the beaten path and a tree had marks on it from a climber, would you set up near there and hope that person is not there or going to show up.

Sure, as long as theres nobody right nearby.

Hope they are dressed in B/O if it is during gun season.

Why? You cant see guys in camo during gun season when the leaves are gone? Unless its super thick or pines, I can.

If they are not there um yeah. If they are there I'd set up two trees over so I would have some one to hang with.LOL! Depends on the location and situation . On public land, if possible, I try to avoid spots where some one else has hunted or hunting.

• 2 weeks later...

I hunt alot of state land, including Upper and Lower Lakes in Canton as well as many others, I have always hunted from the ground by still hunitng as for most of the land I hunt has alot of acres.  I have had sucess going to the places that others won't including my biggest buck to date.  A nice 6 pointer with 2 broken brow tines.  I shot that deer on opening day when all the other hunters were only a few hundered yards in the woods and I decided to head into the think swamp.