Who hunts Public Land ?

shu9265

i do... i have put up hang on in the day but usually in the thicker stuff with a thick canopy where not to many hunters go. I never had anyone steal my stuff on public land, stands , trailcams or anything like that. Not to say it wouldn't happen i just have been lucky. i have been using a climber tho and i actually love using it. i actually had more stolen on "private land" at the hunting club ive been apart of this year so go figure....

I like to hunt several state lands in the southern tier. I have combined about 500 acreas of private land to hunt but I usually go to the state land because I see less people and more deer and I get bored with seeing the same trees all the time. Im alot more picky on stateland though and let alot of bucks walk including a nice 4 point who decided to walk to within 15 yrds of me and bed down. I was like are you serious, after about an hour of sitting completely still I couldn't take it anymore and moved my head and that buck turned himself inside out getting out of there. I try to stick to the larger tracks of land in the 2000 to 6000 acres  plots or where several statelands are in close proximity to eachother. I find the bigger land intimidates the heck out of most hunters.

I've got a couple of hang-ons in Putnam. No problems for the past four years but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I also put them in good hunting spots but not obvious places most people will go. I know I'm supposed to take them out of the woods at the end of the season but the bottom climbing sticks or steps are always frozen in where I hide them! I get them out in the afternoons during spring turkey when only the mornings are open for hunting. I also use a climber to move around so as to not wear out the spots with the hang-ons.

I hunt a lot of public land. I solely use a climber. You can not leave a stand on state land overnight it is against the law.

I have had a few stands stolen off private land and power company land. You should be able to shoot thiefs on site.

I do see a lot of stands on state land, even built permanant stands. Heck last year I found a ladder stand set up on Howland Island that the guy cleared lanes with a chain saw. Cutting trees down also against the law.

Some of us do not make the rest of us look to good.

i do not see leaving tree stands on state land or trimming shooting lanes a bad thing. But then again thats just my 2 cents... i think there are worse things that happen in the deer woods then another hunter leaving a stand in a tree to save some time getting in it? If hes willing to risk the stand, whatever....

I hunt state land, and I would never leave anything behind that I didn't mind having stolen or destroyed or used in my absence. It's a shame that we have to think that way, but we do! Nothing of value is safe if we leave it there.

I suppose there are other reasons why I don't really want to leave stands installed on public property. It could be construed as somebody's attempt to lay claim to a certain chunk of that public property. That may not be the most appropriate thing to be doing.

It's not a big concern of mine because in the almost 50 years that I have been hunting the particular parcel of state land that I hunt, I have only seen two stands left. So it's not a big deal to me.

i predominately hunt state land both in western and southern tier and have ghood luck for the most part.

fletch it is not necessarily against the law to leave a stand over night  "Permanent tree stands are prohibited. However, a tree stand or blind is allowed, provided that it does not injure any trees, is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number, and is placed and used during big game season, migratory game bird season, or turkey season, but no more than thirty days in one location per calendar year." from dec web site use of state forests

You should be able to shoot thiefs on site.

Right, because a treestand is equivalent to a human life.  :;)

I had a blind stolen from me this past season. I might spit in the face of the person who took it, but I would never condone shooting them.

Think I would do a little more then spit in thier face  >:( , but not kill anyone over a stand

I had a blind stolen from me this past season. I might spit in the face of the person who took it, but I would never condone shooting them.

Think I would do a little more then spit in thier face  >:( , but not kill anyone over a stand

Its not worth an assault charge to me either lol

i predominately hunt state land both in western and southern tier and have ghood luck for the most part.

fletch it is not necessarily against the law to leave a stand over night  "Permanent tree stands are prohibited. However, a tree stand or blind is allowed, provided that it does not injure any trees, is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number, and is placed and used during big game season, migratory game bird season, or turkey season, but no more than thirty days in one location per calendar year." from dec web site use of state forests

That is good info, the state land I hunt you need a permit and the first line says no tree stands are to be unattended. Maybee I will visit the office and ask them about this. Thanks

I was not serious I would shoot someone! ???  I just find some people have no respect for anything. I believe in karma and sooner or later what goes around comes around.

I stand corected I thought it was illegal to leave anything over night but after rechecking it needs to be properly tagged. Good to know.

I was not serious I would shoot someone! ???  I just find some people have no respect for anything. I believe in karma and sooner or later what goes around comes around.

I figured, just had to make sure though lol.

thats great that you can leave a stand on state land... provided the hunter doesnt really mind the idea that it may be stolen. i have a stand or 2 that i bought on sale for like 20 - 30 bux so that might be a good stand to put up.

Climber. It's amazing but some stateland that I hunt. there are a couple hunter's who leave climber's in the tree for days ,and said nobody has ever bothered them. I would either go in extra early in the morning,get set up well before the deer traveled through. Or for a sit in the evening,if I had a two way trail,I may leave it overnight. But I would never leave a stand or any of my belongings during daylight hours on public land.

it all depends though too i mean there are many sections of state land that little to no others will ever travel. and it all is up to the hunter really and if one decides to leave a stand they should understand that it may not be there when they return. is it right no the land belongs to every citizen of this state and each and everyone of us should be able to use the land as we are allowed but as always some in our society make this less than desirable.

Right, because a treestand is equivalent to a human life.  ::)

Aw come on... one bullet in the foot??

Right, because a treestand is equivalent to a human life.  ::(

Aw come on... one bullet in the foot??

Maybe if it was accidental  ;)