End of season Garden....

growalot

Well I am almost wishing I had an end to the season...Canning in this heat,not fun....switching gears to dehydrating tomatoes now...I have 35 jars put up and the tomatoes have just started ripening fast now...with the mid summer planting just loaded with big green tomatoes...the summer garden(vs. spring planted one) beans are out of control so I'm dilling beans along with the canned tomatoes...can't fit any more frozen ones in.  Mid summer cukes were hit with the fungus from wet weather...broccoli is starting to head out and spinach is great...lettuce so out of control it's going to seed..My hot peppers ..just crazy and my sweets just really starting as well as the eggplant. BTW white eggplant...absolute best for grilling ,seriously good..well I'm off to fill dehydrator ,wash more jars and prepare for putting up tomato juice and sauce...

Winter squash...ended with 22 butternut,19 bluehubbard,26+(vines hiding them) acorn, 30? pumpkin still growing and producing like mad

This has been, in a droughty year and not watering, the best growing season I have ever seen in many, many, many years.

How did all of you make out?

• Like 4

Well I am almost wishing I had an end to the season...Canning in this heat,not fun....switching gears to dehydrating tomatoes now...I have 35 jars put up and the tomatoes have just started ripening fast now...with the mid summer planting just loaded with big green tomatoes...the summer garden(vs. spring planted one) beans are out of control so I'm dilling beans along with the canned tomatoes...can't fit any more frozen ones in.  Mid summer cukes were hit with the fungus from wet weather...broccoli is starting to head out and spinach is great...lettuce so out of control it's going to seed..My hot peppers ..just crazy and my sweets just really starting as well as the eggplant. BTW white eggplant...absolute best for grilling ,seriously good..well I'm off to fill dehydrator ,wash more jars and prepare for putting up tomato juice and sauce...

Winter squash...ended with 22 butternut,19 bluehubbard,26+(vines hiding them) acorn, 30? pumpkin still growing and producing like mad

This has been, in a droughty year and not watering, the best growing season I have ever seen in many, many, many years.

How did all of you make out?

I've done really well. ShopRite has had some solid sales in the last few weeks. I've been hammering peppers and butternut squash.

I shop once a week and only eat meats fish and veggies fresh. I never freeze anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missing out Biz...I have a Cabelas commercial dehydrator filled with a 1/4 bushel of cored seeded roma tomatoes,first batch...My house smells wonderful...Now when dry, some of them will be packed in jars with fresh garlic and basil..a dab of sea salt and pepper corns then covered in a good olive oil and sealed tight to be used this winter the rest will be vacuum sealed and used on pizzas and salads in soups and stews..ect..ect..Shop rite can't beat that...Now  That they are going...I can start the home made sauerkraut....hhmmmm

Missing out Biz...I have a Cabelas commercial dehydrator filled with a 1/4 bushel of cored seeded roma tomatoes,first batch...My house smells wonderful...Now when dry, some of them will be packed in jars with fresh garlic and basil..a dab of sea salt and pepper corns then covered in a good olive oil and sealed tight to be used this winter the rest will be vacuum sealed and used on pizzas and salads in soups and stews..ect..ect..Shop rite can't beat that...Now  That they are going...I can start the home made sauerkraut....hhmmmm

Don't have time for another hobby. The yard and landscaping is already enough when I'm trying to play golf, fish, and enjoy the pool.

43 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Don't have time for another hobby. The yard and landscaping is already enough when I'm trying to play golf, fish, and enjoy the pool.

:rolleyes:

Grow, you know Biz is a city slicker. Golf, pool, beer pong, then the outdoors. 

Since my g/f got into canning I can't stand some store bought foods. Pickles, tomato sauce, and hot peppers. She wants to get a vacuum sealer next year when we are able to put in a garden again. I am all for it. She enjoys doing these things.

default_rolleyes.gif

Grow, you know Biz is a city slicker. Golf, pool, beer pong, then the outdoors. 

Since my g/f got into canning I can't stand some store bought foods. Pickles, tomato sauce, and hot peppers. She wants to get a vacuum sealer next year when we are able to put in a garden again. I am all for it. She enjoys doing these things.

With all the equipment and time, you're probably paying twice the cost per lb for organic veggies, no? Time is $

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I just buy mine in a powder form and drink my vegetables these days.

IMG_0717.jpg

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

I just buy mine in a powder form and drink my vegetables these days.

IMG_0717.jpg

Yea man. Hopefully someday intravenous for all meals. No more wasting time eating. Quick shot a few times per day and never miss a step.

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

With all the equipment and time, you're probably paying twice the cost per lb for organic veggies, no? Time is $

The cost for canning equipment isn't that bad, max a few hundred. The cost to buy produce at a veggie stand is far below the cost of even Price Rite. Yes, it takes time.

You play golf, how much is that equipment? Good set of clubs...$$1500? Per round $65 for 18? Membership to a club, $2000 a year. We all have things we love, I was just busting your nads. But I will say, when you eat something you took time to make, it tastes a hundred times better then anything from a store. 

• Like 1

The cost for canning equipment isn't that bad, max a few hundred. The cost to buy produce at a veggie stand is far below the cost of even Price Rite. Yes, it takes time.

You play golf, how much is that equipment? Good set of clubs...$$1500? Per round $65 for 18? Membership to a club, $2000 a year. We all have things we love, I was just busting your nads. But I will say, when you eat something you took time to make, it tastes a hundred times better then anything from a store. 

I hear ya.

I wish a golf membership was $2K. I'm not a member anywhere. They are more like a couple hundred grand initiation fee and then tens of thousands per year.

where is there $200k initiation?? Oak Hill is $70k

Scarsdale, Winged Foot, Hudson National, etc. just to name a few. but even if U have the $ you can't get in unless you get the right referrals etc. of course many other CC's around here are 10s or 20s for initiation. If I remember correctly, there are over 50 (maybe closer to 100) private golf courses in just Westchester county alone.

Though I have heard golf as a whole is in the decline so many places are dropping.

Winged Foot is supposedly $75k that's a bargain, jump on it and invite me as a guest!

Lol no way. I play about 15 times a year, after the food and drink minimums it would be like $10k per round