30-06 Winchester

Dave

I have the Remington 760 and a Ruger 77 in 30-06 and I shoot Hornady 150 grain. It has brought down many a deer. Try out different makes and grains and see what your rifle shoots best.

I've been shooting winchester soft point in 180 grain for the past 30 yrs. Just wonder if there is something better I should be using. Or 180 gr. is too much.

Dave

I have a Remington 700 in 30-06. I liked shooting 180 grain winchester silvertips and they performed pretty well but they stopped making them. So now i shoot 180 grain Nosler accubonds. I like 180 grains because i can shoot anything from woodchucks to elk without changing my ammo and it shoots better out my rifle than 150 grain.

I have used 180 grain on many deer and it dropped all of them right in there tracks and i didnt feel it caused massive amounts of wasted damage compared to other rounds i have seen. I think 180 grains is a great multipurpose round

Thanks Bball, that's what I thought, have always had good success with the 180 gr. So there is no need to change.

Dave

The 180gr bullet in the 30-06 is fine and produces the most energy on impact, even more than the 200gr bullet some times, but it does kick the most and doesn't shoot the flattest.

It will do a great job on Whitetail if you hit it right.  If you need the 06 to shoot flatter or want it to recoil less, then you might want to drop to the 150gr or even the 165gr and go with a boat tail soft point.

I like the 165gr BTSP.  It makes a good hard hitting, flat shooter.  A compromise round that works for me.  Best of both worlds.  And my rifle loves them.

If your rifle shoots 180 grain bullets accurately ( which it appears to do) there is no reason to use another load...

It is certainly not overkill for deer, and also would work fine for elk or moose if you ever had an opportunity to hunt them....

Trying to decide between 150, 165 or 180 grain loads for deer in a 30-06 is basically splitting hairs... Any loads in these bullet weights that group well in your rifle will perform well from point blank to 300 yards...

Just sight in at about 2-3 inches high at 100 yards and hold center on the ribcage from just off the muzzle to 300 yards and the critters will die..

Pretty simple... :( ...

I have a Browning and a Winchester in 30-06. I hunt mostly with the Winchester and that gun loves Fedral Vital shock in 165 btsp.If I do my part I can put 3 shots in a very tiny group,any deer I have shot never ran more then 40 yards.My Browning seems to shoot 150 sp the best also in Fedral.Hope this helps.

The 180gr bullet in the 30-06 is fine and produces the most energy on impact, even more than the 200gr bullet some times, but it does kick the most and doesn't shoot the flattest.

It will do a great job on Whitetail if you hit it right.  If you need the 06 to shoot flatter or want it to recoil less, then you might want to drop to the 150gr or even the 165gr and go with a boat tail soft point.

I like the 165gr BTSP.  It makes a good hard hitting, flat shooter.  A compromise round that works for me.  Best of both worlds.  And my rifle loves them.

DItto for my 06

I am planning on useing my Browning 30-06 for blk. bear. I am thinking on useing  165 or 180 gr.  Any thoughts or suggestions ? Thanks

Ike the 165 just because it shoots flatter for me and has all the energy needed to take any game I hunt. I have taken bear with just that set up. Any bullet you use that performs well on deer will effectively take a black bear. If I were in an area where I could commonly run into one over the 500 pound mark I would opt for a little sturdier bullet than I do on deer but ...your deer round in 165 will be fine