Remington Arms,the good old days.

I have shot Remingtons all my life...I've had several 1100s, two 11-48s,  an 11-87, an 870, a 722  and a 700, not to mention my recently acquired 03A3 Springfield, which was made by Remington in the early days of WWII.

Mine have all been fine , accurate, well made, reliable firearms, but  I have not bought a new one since 1993, so I can't comment on their current products, other than to say that I have heard from many knowledgeable people, like Buckmaster7600, that the quality has gone down the tubes in recent years.  Too bad..

2 hours ago, airedale said:

At 2:40 there is a multiple stock lathe that uses a similar concept to the ones I mentioned in an earlier post about early gun making machinery. The ones I was referring to where less sophisticated but the concept of a master with multiple stocks being turned simultaneously is the same.

Have owned several Remington firearms through the years and can say I never owned a reject, all were satisfactory in my experience as over the counter factory guns. Some went down the road in trade deals and some I still have today.

I am not a big fan of Remington's new firearm models either in looks or in their designs, I have looked them over at the gun shows and just do not care for them. I purchased a new 870 12 ga a few years ago so I would have a gun that I could use steel shot in and it functions fine and patterns well, not impressed with the new key safety.

Remington in my opinion has a bad habit of discontinuing some of their finest models and bringing out replacements not nowhere as good. The whole bolt 22 rimfire line both sporters and target models and the 788 bolt action are two that come to my mind quickly. The iconic landmark Nylon 66 22 autoloader should have never been discontinued.

On the other hand I did see a couple of models like the 600 carbine bolt actions that were dropped that were replaced by the much improved model 7, so all is not bad.

As for the bread and butter line models like the 1100, the 700, 750, 7600 and 552-572  they still look pretty good to me and I would not hesitate to buy one myself if I was in the market.

Al

Edited by airedale

Out of 3 M700s that I bought new, 2 were tack drivers & the other would not shoot better than 3" groups @ 100yds no matter what I fed it. The other 2 shot 3/8" to 5/8" 3 shot groups at 100yds.

I did  a chamber cast & found that the chamber was .004" off center. The rifling did not even appear on 1 side of the casting and on the other side, it extended all the way to the case neck portion of the chamber. The casting  was done in such a way as to show the 1st few inches of the barrel throat ahead of the chamber. When I contacted Remington about this their reaction was that the off center chamber would not affect accuracy & that 3" at 100yds was "acceptable" accuracy! They offered to have a look at it under warranty, but after the phone conversation, & advice from others that had experience with Remington warranty service, I traded it in on a new M700 CDL.

Edited by wildcat junkie