archery lessons and practice suggestions

jasons75

I  actually don't plan on buying any bow yet... until i get into a pro shop and ask some questions.... in any case spending $400-$700 on something that I may not like or can't use properly doesn't work for me... I won't buy online from many places anymore.. I rather support the small shops.

I am actually very close to you Jason. I would be more than willing to hit a few shops with you or even just meet and talk over some issues. My buddy and I will start shooting in May or June and we have a target at his house in Henrietta. I would be happy to help you get started. I am not a bow tuner by any stretch but could help a bit on form and such.

Use to keep a small 3d range behind the house untill the bear decided my 3d targets were some kind of food..or training for food... destroyed 2 3d deer and a turkey, went to a block and they chewed that up as well and dragged it off into the woods.. As for your bow go to a pro shop and shoot them before you buy..don't worry about the brandname buy what fits you... all the companys that are out there build good bows now if they didn't they would be out of buisness! And i release will help your accuracy a lot.

The TOP line, big $$$ bows are amazing, and are very luring, but keep in mind the  research technology filters though the lower product lines.. A new, entry package bow from a reputable manufacturer will be better than some off brand equipment or really old used stuff, plus most shops throw in some range time with a bow purchase.. Getting it fit & setup properly for you to shoot with maximum accuracy will kill more game then being 30 fps faster.. Whatever equipment you choose, get a bow with a 'hard back-wall' cam design. Simply, at full draw, the string stops.

Shooting tips I can add, is use a release, use your release hand's thumb & a kisser button to anchor consistently.

Good Luck, & welcome to bow hunting.

• 2 weeks later...

Indian Mountain Archery in Hamlin/Hilton. An easy ride from Greece,in fact he gets guys who drive in from NYC !! OK? thats 7 hours away and one guy flew in from Kansas to have Phil set up 3 bows  .

Phil will set up your bow then have you come to the shop when its CLOSED so its just you and him shooting and doing the final tuning. You will leave the shop shooting good groups and your fieldpoints and broadheads will fly the same, as they should.

I've seen Phil take bows off the shelf as the season was near because he was to busy setting up bows and teaching guys . He would rather not sell those bows because he would not have the proper amount of time to set up and teach !

So I am just getting into hunting. I would prefer to bow hunt over gun hunt (and not just because my wife has an issue with guns  :) )... I like challenges.

I have a slight problem, I got a chance to do a little shooting last weekend. The few shots I took were dismal at best! I was wondering if someone here can point me to where I could get lessons in or around the Rochester/Greece area. if you can give me a general idea of costs as well that would be great!

I've also been looking into where I can go to practice that is relatively close to Greece. I would prefer to practice in the back yard but apparently i cannot.

I'm less than month away from my move to the NY and want to get started soon after I get there.

As mentioned above, get to a local Pro Shop and have them watch you shoot a few arrows down range and evaluate you. Then make the adjustments needed and stay with them. It is all about "consistancy, consistancy, consistancy" ...................very much like golf, you get your stance, your proper draw length, same/consistant nock point, smooth easy release...................every single time.

Work your way into it, as soon as you start getting fatigued, STOP!!!!!!!! Start small and work into it. Muscle strength and memory will come the more you work at it.

I would suggest purchasing a cube or hanging bag target, much cheaper than paying to go to the indoor range all the time. If you can afford it or just want to, join the local shooting league ...............................the competition will drive you to become a better shooter in most cases.

Best of luck

FDXX75