Salmon river

ATbuckhunter

Well just got back last night from a 5 day fishing trip on the salmon river up in Pulaski. For any of you that know the river, know it's a wonderful fishery and can always find something to catch. This year the salmon run has been pretty poor, like the last few years. There were more salmon in the river than the last 3 years combined, but they just didn't want to run. Still fishing was alright and hanging out with the same guys year after year is always great! Sunday was probably my best day on 3 years with about 40 hook ups, and most of those came with an hour. I'll post a few of the salmon and one nice big steelhead that I got. Some of the pics may look like duplicates but I promise they are with different fish. All were released except for the 2 coho and one steelhead I got. All in all it was a good trip no matter how poor the actual fishing was majority of the time. 53d90364d5d74ffad9b9fefeb11a9142.jpg1474b7d0784a2aad6a6e45f109c9cf6f.jpg45be394fee0ad80722f8ee0f69e8a174.jpg2338d31ec745191d6d20fbd2ac2ef213.jpg18c4df0644b5f80579cad06ecf0754c2.jpgae42cf2263777085c17ecc4e885cec83.jpg9f2979cd97c1b6efd6e1f6b89b698862.jpg7c5038cf588d3b6856062e23af71ede8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Nice job! - Fished Sandy Creek with my son Monday PM and saw a lot of jumpers but no takers and we threw everything we could at them.  I am concerned about future population with the drought and low waters.

Thanks bud! Low waters is definitely impacting them hard, especially sandy creek...i don't even want to think about how low that was since the SR was only 185 cfs. The good thing is rain is on the way and the river temps have cooled. But I don believe hey are considering dropping be stocking rates because of the drop in alewife population. Wish I would have known you were in the area, I would have told you to swim by my spot, we were doing alright on Monday (hooked two massive steeli's and landed one).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, zeus1gdsm said:

Curious.... Fly or spin? I'm looking for advice on a spin rig.

Congrats on the fish!

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Just tried fly for the first time this year and i'm hooked on it, but I used spin set up for 6 years prior. If you need any advise just ask away. You can definitely do well with a spin set up. 

You fish up there before?

Yea many years ago. I went a lot as a kid, throwing J Plugs and snagging salmon. I would wear shorts and sneakers and line up with the rest of the older guys at town pool. It was crazy. This was like mid and late 90s.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea many years ago. I went a lot as a kid, throwing J Plugs and snagging salmon. I would wear shorts and sneakers and line up with the rest of the older guys at town pool. It was crazy. This was like mid and late 90s.

Oh so you would line up on that cement wall. I don't fish to far from there. Too many idoits at the town pool now. 

Oh so you would line up on that cement wall. I don't fish to far from there. Too many idoits at the town pool now. 

Not on the wall, just farther down where I could stand in the water and yell "fish on". Tons of idiots back then too. You could only yank your rod once per retrieve otherwise u got a ticket for snagging lol. It was wacky l.

Seen fish get stolen, seen fish being dragged down the road on ropes lol. Mayhem

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Not on the wall, just farther down where I could stand in the water and yell "fish on". Tons of idiots back then too. You could only yank your rod once per retrieve otherwise u got a ticket for snagging lol. It was wacky l.

Seen fish get stolen, seen fish being dragged down the road on ropes lol. Mayhem

Ive seen some real weird crap there in that town. If you ever think about coming up again, I could show you a couple spots where you wont see too many idiots. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Was it combat fishing and elbow to elbow ? 

Buddy just sent this from Seattle. Shonomish river. 11 pound native silver . He better head back this way soon . Love the smoked salmon he brings back 

IMG_3807.JPG

It was in the slower area's, but the rapids usually had plenty of room in it. Id love to make it out to the west...preferably Alaska for some real salmon fighting. Idk why but id love to go coho fishing...for some reason I love to catch those guys. I wouldn't mind catching some sockeye as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Well just got back last night from a 5 day fishing trip on the salmon river up in Pulaski. For any of you that know the river, know it's a wonderful fishery and can always find something to catch. This year the salmon run has been pretty poor, like the last few years. There were more salmon in the river than the last 3 years combined, but they just didn't want to run. Still fishing was alright and hanging out with the same guys year after year is always great! Sunday was probably my best day on 3 years with about 40 hook ups, and most of those came with an hour. I'll post a few of the salmon and one nice big steelhead that I got. Some of the pics may look like duplicates but I promise they are with different fish. All were released except for the 2 coho and one steelhead I got. All in all it was a good trip no matter how poor the actual fishing was majority of the time. 53d90364d5d74ffad9b9fefeb11a9142.jpg1474b7d0784a2aad6a6e45f109c9cf6f.jpg45be394fee0ad80722f8ee0f69e8a174.jpg2338d31ec745191d6d20fbd2ac2ef213.jpg18c4df0644b5f80579cad06ecf0754c2.jpgae42cf2263777085c17ecc4e885cec83.jpg9f2979cd97c1b6efd6e1f6b89b698862.jpg7c5038cf588d3b6856062e23af71ede8.jpg

Dude............congrats on the great fishing trip.  Not my style with those crowds but I understand the allure.

The pics of you with the hoodie on remind me of the Unabomber.  What do ya' think?

https://www.google.com/search?q=unabomber+sketch&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

:rofl:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Dude............congrats on the great fishing trip.  Not my style with those crowds but I understand the allure.

The pics of you with the hoodie on remind me of the Unabomber.  What do ya' think?

https://www.google.com/search?q=unabomber+sketch&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

:rofl:

Thanks, I appreciate it. Crowds can be annoying but seeing the same people every year and catching salmon with them is always fun! Wish you could see the river when they're really running, these last few years makes me really appreciate the good times. To be honest my own mother said that to me before haha. I think you might be on to something here lol. 

Great pics and brings back memories of the baseball hole and the Trestle pool. Miss going up there. Haven't been there fishing in about 10 years. Definitely a different experience but fun none the less. I have a Great Lakes 9ft noodle rod with Pro Fisher spinning reel I bought to use up there and never used it. Will sell it for $75 if anyone is interested. Pole alone sells for $80. Prefer local but could ship if buyer pays shipping. PM for pics.

Edited by Zem18
D

I live on the SR and there are multiple problems facing the fishery on the river and lake for that matter.  They are cutting back on stocking numbers for Chinook by 30%, they are non native and the feds are pushing more and more for higher native numbers.  Anther problem and a big one in my opinion is not the lack of rain but the mis management of the water releases throughout the summer for kayak and tubing on the river.  SInce this has started the water levels in the upper and lower res have been low come the salmon run.  This year it is really low. Last time I went to the upper to chase some walleye the water line was 30 to 50 feet from the end of the launch ramps.  Alewives are a concern but the stocking numbers and water levels are bigger in my opinion.   The fisherman numbers have significantly dropped as well over past few years.   Thankfully it seems the respectable ones are returning more than the disrespectful ones.  Theres less trash past couple years on the banks and thrown out the windows onto our local lawns now.  Thankful for that.  The runs are later and later as well.  I remember as a kid there was no regulations and a sawed off broom handle , some clothes line with a big ole treble hook was the norm.  Then came the crowd and snag hooks and a whole slew of colorful personalities lol.  Its much harder to catch a salmon with the current regulations but seems to have thinned the disrespectful groups away.  I have to laugh at guys who keep these salmon for human consumption, man if they stayed around to deal with the death and smell of these things later on in the season they probably never eat one again.

7 minutes ago, wdswtr said:

I live on the SR and there are multiple problems facing the fishery on the river and lake for that matter.  They are cutting back on stocking numbers for Chinook by 30%, they are non native and the feds are pushing more and more for higher native numbers.  Anther problem and a big one in my opinion is not the lack of rain but the mis management of the water releases throughout the summer for kayak and tubing on the river.  SInce this has started the water levels in the upper and lower res have been low come the salmon run.  This year it is really low. Last time I went to the upper to chase some walleye the water line was 30 to 50 feet from the end of the launch ramps.  Alewives are a concern but the stocking numbers and water levels are bigger in my opinion.   The fisherman numbers have significantly dropped as well over past few years.   Thankfully it seems the respectable ones are returning more than the disrespectful ones.  Theres less trash past couple years on the banks and thrown out the windows onto our local lawns now.  Thankful for that.  The runs are later and later as well.  I remember as a kid there was no regulations and a sawed off broom handle , some clothes line with a big ole treble hook was the norm.  Then came the crowd and snag hooks and a whole slew of colorful personalities lol.  Its much harder to catch a salmon with the current regulations but seems to have thinned the disrespectful groups away.  I have to laugh at guys who keep these salmon for human consumption, man if they stayed around to deal with the death and smell of these things later on in the season they probably never eat one again.

I heard that they are going to drop the chinook numbers over the next few years. The fact that they ran 335 through out sept and then had to drop to 185 once the fishing started to get good is pissing me off. I've seen the numbers of fisherman drop as well, not sure that's so goof for the local economy but it is good for the fishing. Glad those snagging days are over, but the town pool this year was pretty bad. I don't know how people fish there with all those morons. All we can do is hope next year is better and for all the steelhead run strong this year for those that can make it out there at that time. 

Best time on the river is before Oct 1 and after Jan 1.  Of course salmon numbers are lower but you will pretty much have a lot of arm room and more fun.  After January the fairweather fisherman are gone and the steelhead fishing just starts to get excellent. Beside on Sept 27th its treestand time lol.