Tikka or Vanguard

chas0218

Which gun and caliber?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Caliber for elk, mulies, and/or whitetail.

• 25-06
  2. 2. Which rifle?

• Tikka T3x Stainless lite
    • Weatherby Vanguard Series 2

3 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Browning makes most of their guns in Japan.  Weatherby used to make the Mark V in Japan also.  If anything, I would think quality control is considerably better in Japan than in the US.  I know I will piss many people off by saying this, but I also believe Japanese designed cars are better than American, so being made in Japan would certainly not turn me away from the product.

No it doesn't turn me off but getting parts on the other hand might be harder. I'm not sure if Weatherby would stock parts for the Vanguard or you would need to order from Howa. Tikka is a Finland made gun so I'm not against buying a gun from other countries. I have to agree as of lately foreign made guns are of better quality (excluding Smith & Wesson). I can't bring myself to buy another Remington Product with the QC issues I have had and I haven't found a newer american made gun as accurate or as quality as the Tikka. I have picked up and cycled howa's and they are nice never shot one though. I like the howa 1500 with the hogue stock but have read if you need replacement parts it can be hard to get or long wait periods. There isn't a very big aftermarket selection for howa rifles to bridge that gap. 

I just bought a T3x lite for my dad to use on our moose hunt in 7mmRM. I haven't gun hunted in years however I still shoot a bit.
The TX3 was probably they nicest shooting gun out of the box I seen in years. I broke it in with two different 140 grain factory loads I had laying around. I then sighted it in with 162 grain horandy interlocks. They shoot exceptionally well out of the gun. My dad killed a nice moose as well.
The action is smooth and the fit and finish is very nice.
My original plan was to sell the gun after we came home as I have no need for another rifle however I been procrastinating all week... but I just might move it out.
anyway I like it better then howa's I have shot and handled.

Good luck in your choice.

No it doesn't turn me off but getting parts on the other hand might be harder. I'm not sure if Weatherby would stock parts for the Vanguard or you would need to order from Howa. Tikka is a Finland made gun so I'm not against buying a gun from other countries. I have to agree as of lately foreign made guns are of better quality (excluding Smith & Wesson). I can't bring myself to buy another Remington Product with the QC issues I have had and I haven't found a newer american made gun as accurate or as quality as the Tikka. I have picked up and cycled howa's and they are nice never shot one though. I like the howa 1500 with the hogue stock but have read if you need replacement parts it can be hard to get or long wait periods. There isn't a very big aftermarket selection for howa rifles to bridge that gap. 

I don't have a problem with Japanese guns either I own a few Brownings and they are fine. My concern with the vanguard line is it is made in Japan to cut cost. When a company has there low end products made in a different country from their "name brand" stuff it concerns me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Then go with that I guess since you have the dies 
Or just step it up to 257 weatherby mag 
Still 3006 always good to have .
Like most people here you will probably going to get more then one cal if you haven't all ready . Eventually
Your probably going to gravitate to something like the  257 Weatherby Magnum if you're really into shooting and hand loading  I can guarantee you that. 

I would consider myself "really into shooting" and I have never had even the slightest gravitational pull towards anything even close to a wby mag.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I would consider myself "really into shooting" and I have never had even the slightest gravitational pull towards anything even close to a wby mag.

Maybe you don't want to spend the money or maybe you already have to many guns .

What's your point ? 

7 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Why of course, if you are a "Weatherby Guy"  you will gravitate toward the .257 WM...

It's the only one that kills game well and doesn't KICK the **** out of you...

Yep and its a super flat shooting round 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Why of course, if you are a "Weatherby Guy"  you will gravitate toward the .257 WM...

I'm 5'9 170lbs, and the 270 wby mag and 7mm wby mag are nothing to shoot even in short sleeves with a bad separated shoulder. Then again, I'm not taking 20 shots a day.

Bah my .300 wby mag with 180 gr barnes tsx shooting 78.5 gr of hogdon hc4831sc doesn't beat me up. Then again I'm not a girlyman

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Bah my .300 wby mag with 180 gr barnes tsx shooting 78.5 gr of hogdon hc4831sc doesn't beat me up. Then again I'm not a girlyman

Sent from my SM-G935V using 

50 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I'm 5'9 170lbs, and the 270 wby mag and 7mm wby mag are nothing to shoot even in short sleeves with a bad separated shoulder. Then again, I'm not taking 20 shots a day.

I'm 6'2 275 ib I like what I like it shoots flat.  i only go with a   bigger cal only if I'm planning on hunting a grizzly something like that 

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

Sent from my SM-G935V using 

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I'm 6'2 275 ib I like what I like it shoots flat.  i only go with a   bigger cal only if I'm planning on hunting a grizzly something like that 

25 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You said "you can guarantee that" what is your factual basis on thinking that everyone will eventually want a 257wby mag or something similar?

I said probably or something similar. 

Most people want the flatist trajectory they can get on that basis alone he's going to want something like  a 257 Weatherby mag or 300 Weatherby mag
.xct 

My question still stands where are you getting these "most people?"

Most people I talk to want a hunt that will kill deer and have ammo readily available.

50 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You said "I can guarantee that" not the same as probably not even similar.

Stop trolling me with your rediculus questions.  So your saying  people don't want the caliber that delivers  the best trajectory possible so why is the 270 so popular  then  or why  did the military go to the 223 over the 7.62×39 a heaver bullet ? 

Speed sells same reasons bows with faster IBO sell  better then ones with slower arrow speeds .  

Speed translates into less bullet drop = less guess work at longer range .   Something people want . 

Edited by LJC

Stop trolling me with your rediculus questions.  So your saying  people don't want the caliber that delivers  the best trajectory possible so why is the 270 so popular  then  or why  did the military go to the 223 over the 7.62×39 a heaver bullet ? 
Speed sales same reasons bows with faster IBO sale better then ones with slower arrow speeds .  

Thy wasn't a question. Nor is it trolling you made a statement I questioned it you denied it I corrected you.

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Thy wasn't a question. Nor is it trolling you made a statement I questioned it you denied it I corrected you.

Speed sells same reasons bows with faster IBO sell  better then ones with slower arrow speeds .  

Speed translates into less bullet drop = less guess work at longer range .   Something people want . 

I'm posting this again just Incase you did not see it .

And will add this  people always looking for the fastest the most powerful the most accurate  . Gun bow what ever it is they  can get  human nature . You buy one gun soon  after you want a better  one  and so on .

Tikka is owned by Sako, which is now part of Beretta.  I have a Vanny S1 SubMOA (equivalent of the current RC mode) , I don't like two stage triggers in porters, soI wouldn't own an S2.  Also the follower in the S2 is plastic.  Which also bothers me.  The Vanny's barreled actions come from Howa, except the fluted barrels.  The word was that those were made by Krieger.  Mine shoots amazing. I have hunted a lot with it.  Tough, well made, accurate and very reliable rifle.  If I came across another S1 SubMOA or S1 Back Country, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.  

I don't know much about the Tikka, but I've never heard a bad word about them. I'd not buy one cause I don't like plastic detachable mags in hunting riffles.  

I've never been enamored with 308 Win, but there is nothing wrong with it.  The 25-06 will flatten deer no problem and give you a great out west flat shooter as well.  It was really made famous by pronghorn shooters just for that reason.  It would be my choice as it's a true long action round.  Tell you what you find an S1 Vanny in 25-06 that has a nice bore and tight lock up on the action, buy it.  You'll be very glad you did.