Letchworth

DanielT

2 hours ago, JTHES said:

Nice posts gentlemen.  We are headed down this week for 6 days.

A few veterans and a few newbies....any advice to help us get started off.  We arrive Wed.

Nice!

We will not arrive in C cabins until next tues..I'm counting down the days...I love the river bottoms the best, but do not overlook the tops.. there are more deer than one would think in the narrow strip between  Rd and private fields.

The biggest buck shot by our group came fromy up top.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Every summer I camp inside the park and have always been interested in hunting it. I have only seen the tourist parts of the park as I am always with family but I would love to go explore off the beaten path. I live less than a hour away from the park and to me like someone already mentioned this would be like hunting the big woods of the Dak's without the far drive. 

• Like 1

So the count down is on till full week of Park time.  1 full day of work tomorrow, then 2 days in training Wednesday and Thursday.  I have Friday off but both my son and daughter have the Section VI X-Country championships where my daughter is the defending class B champion and my son is an up and comer in class C, then the truck will be packed and will head over Friday evening and stay overnite in Geneseo.  In the stand bright and early Saturday am and our 2016 adventure begins for the 5th year in a row.  Will be there through the 13th, home Monday - Wednesday, off Thursday and head back over Friday and then stay #2 begins for gun season.  Have the whole first week off for the first time in 9 years.   Can't wait.  Have already made plans to take October 26th- November 13th off next year with hopefully staying both those weeks in the cabins...  Game On!!!!!!

• Like 2

Yup i let a nice 21/2yr old 8pt tonight live to hopefully make it one more year. There is truly a great number of game this year.  Every sit is showing some action.

Hey ...i was driving back to cabins after my last hunt in a white Chevy company truck and I notice the shed on your dash in my rear view...so I pulled over ...I was gonna to say hi...but you were in a hurry...lol...totally understand...catch you next year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 10/30/2016 at 5:43 PM, genesee_mohican said:

Well maybe after they get a few trophies and 20 years of hunting the park under their belt they will see a different picture.

I think this is my 8th year hunting it. I put a lot of time in scouting during the the off season and I usually do a half dozen ...all day sits on or near the bottom during bow n gun along will my am| pm hunts. Results?...Just humbled so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well i guess that could come to a number of reasons. Depends on what one calls a trophy also. We have let a few walk so far this week that many would consider a trophy in their hunting lives.  Its also a big time luck game, Just like Ncountry said about hunting the top.That buck they killed was a brute and surely a book buck and that was on top. Another fella that still gets on here at times came down with us and asked for some help on places to hunt, showed him a great escape area around the Hogsback and he killed a 130in buck 2 days later in that spot. Right Place-Right Time. They are there without a doubt and get scary big.There is no way they cant in that park. With that kind of cover, The size of area, The lack of hunters in places and antler restriction makes a big buck combo.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DanielT said:

Hey ...i was driving back to cabins after my last hunt in a white Chevy company truck and I notice the shed on your dash in my rear view...so I pulled over ...I was gonna to say hi...but you were in a hurry...lol...totally understand...catch you next year

You should have backed up for sure. I spend enough time down there to have time to burn some. Must have been in the afternoon?  Do you shotgun the park? 

You should have backed up for sure. I spend enough time down there to have time to burn some. Must have been in the afternoon?  Do you shotgun the park? 

No...love my bow too much...
And they run too damn fast....lol

Just on a side note....P.P. stopped to check on me after one of my hunts and i told them i would like to hunt one more ridge down but might need a rope...just small talk...and informed me that if I was caught with repelling ropes...I would be ticketed....

18 hours ago, ncountry said:

Nice!

We will not arrive in C cabins until next tues..I'm counting down the days...I love the river bottoms the best, but do not overlook the tops.. there are more deer than one would think in the narrow strip between  Rd and private fields.

The biggest buck shot by our group came fromy up top.

Good luck!

And a buck that was!  We grabbed Cabin 8 but not sure if it will be needed by many. You guys will have to get up to camp while there. As far as the top its been the same so far this year. Have seen action every sit so far on top with yesterday morning finally seeing real chasing with a small 8 pushing 6 does and fawns up and down the hillside grunting with every step.

You guys will do well this year. Numbers seem to be getting back to what we all like to see!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DanielT said:

Just on a side note....P.P. stopped to check on me after one of my hunts and i told them i would like to hunt one more ridge down but might need a rope...just small talk...and informed me that if I was caught with repelling ropes...I would be ticketed....

Yes, we were told once that we are to use a rope as  guide, wink, wink, and to not be repelling. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DanielT said:

Yeah there is a fine line between repelling and using a rope to retrieve a deer. You can tell many of them are not hunters and have never left the road on that park. Do your thing and keep it on the down low. Now to throw a rope over a rock cliff??? Yeah i could see the stupidity. To use 50 feet of rope to pull deer/gear up? That i would take to a judge if ever ticketed. The sign says        No Repelling The Gorge Walls! 

Edited by Four Season Whitetails
  • Like 2

I saw a few small bucks chasing does on Monday morning and evening. Sat all day and it was pretty quiet. The sad part was.....I walked in 2 miles to get to my stand, just get to the stand and another guy comes into a stand 100 yards away. Luckily he left by 9am......but that's state land hunting.   

I hope to be out there the next 4 days.

• Like 3

The weather pattern is holding and winds continue to be mostly North westerly for the next week. I hunted the last 3 hours yesterday, I saw a 3 pt and a button, then passed an 8 point. He came by and made a rub, then pawed at the ground and just hung around for about 5 minutes, so I got a good look at him. He looked to be a 1.5, perfect shaped basket rack, 13" wide. Hope he sneaks by till next year.  No chasing to be seen or heard where I sat.

• Like 2

PP stopped us today checked us out, interesting thing is they said the antler restriction has been lifted in the park.  

Would need to see that in writing. Been in place for a few years now. There are a ton of little bucks that could be taken if what you say is true.

• Like 2

PP stopped us today checked us out, interesting thing is they said the antler restriction has been lifted in the park.  

Yeah we talked to them...said too many deer being shot and left...sad...I still practice 3 points one side...spike and so are too easy...no offense to anyone

3 hours ago, JTHES said:

Just looked at the park regs again. I would say  you are correct..... there is no mention of antler restrictions this year. It's been in place so long, and they don't mention that they lifted the restriction.. (but the regs are poorly written inmho). They also are not allowing crossbow in the archery and gun seasons, only during muzz are they allowed.

3 hours ago, genesee_mohican said:

Just looked at the park regs again. I would say  you are correct..... there is no mention of antler restrictions this year. It's been in place so long, and they don't mention that they lifted the restriction.. (but the regs are poorly written inmho). They also are not allowing crossbow in the archery and gun seasons, only during muzz are they allowed.

Crossbow is open today for those with lottery permits. My paperwork says i can use Crossbow. Today and again in late Archery? 

• Like 1