Letchworth

DanielT

On 1/27/2017 at 9:50 PM, 607 HUNTER said:

WOW, I see what you guys are saying about the steep hill sides to get down to the river bottom. Are those tree tops down in the river bed normally an area that can be hunted when not flooded ? 

Hope that camera made it Genesee Mohican !

Yes that water is about 20ft high or better.  Many times I have went down to stands to find 3-4 inches of mud and crap covering the stand. There are many places on the park that have walls like that and the deer in those areas never see many people. They can live to the age they need to be to get trophy size.  There are many places that you can walk right to the bottom but like any other place, that's where you find other hunters. Make your own path and you may never see another hunter to deal with. 

That is pretty remarkable Four Season's , I can't wait to get down there and explore- the craziness of the water  is only getting me pumped up for this up coming season. 

That is my ultimate goal, is to find a pocket down there not many people can make it to and get the chance to see some very mature bucks and hopefully get the chance to harvest one ! 

• 4 weeks later...

I did some scouting today in the park. Hiked a total of 6 miles. Saw 4 different tree stands still in trees! 2 ladders, a hang-on with sticks still attached and a climber. I thought people are supposed to take their stands out after the season is over. I guess the rangers are lenient on that rule. Luckily the stands weren't far off the beaten path -- and nowhere near the spots that I'm eyeing up for the fall.  

I walked state land in Chautauqua county last week and there were several stands up, people ignore that law I guess

Typical people. Rules apply to everyone but them. I reported a bunch of stands last year when scouting land down in Chautauqua county. I doubt the DEC did anything though...also reported one while in Letchworth with screw in steps but never made it back to see if it was still there.

I don't even feel bad for telling. Rules are clearly started.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, germs087 said:

Typical people. Rules apply to everyone but them. I reported a bunch of stands last year when scouting land down in Chautauqua county. I doubt the DEC did anything though...also reported one while in Letchworth with screw in steps but never made it back to see if it was still there.

I don't even feel bad for telling. Rules are clearly started.

This is one law that could be self-policing. All you have to do is make it so that any stand in the woods after a certain day is up for grabs by anyone who wants it...........End of problem.

11 hours ago, DIYhunter said:

I did some scouting today in the park. Hiked a total of 6 miles. Saw 4 different tree stands still in trees! 2 ladders, a hang-on with sticks still attached and a climber. I thought people are supposed to take their stands out after the season is over. I guess the rangers are lenient on that rule. Luckily the stands weren't far off the beaten path -- and nowhere near the spots that I'm eyeing up for the fall.  

It seems like people leave them up year round to 'call' that particular spot. It's not a matter of them being really far off the road and a major pain to move, because I see them up close to the road, deep down in the park and everywhere in between.

I was amazed when I started hunting the park. There r stands everywhere. I used to avoid these spots,(not wanting to crowd someone's spot) but after a few years hunting there I noticed very little or no activity in them . If I wanted to hunt that area I would set up and hunt even if I was right next to another stand. I think I have only had one person actually come in and hunt a stand that I was crowding once..

I assume they either hunted it earlier or later in season.

Trying to claim a spot with a stand is bs.. leaving a stand in the woods because you don't feel like trucking it out....., who cares..

you know the risks, some dbag could come along anytime and steal it ..

25 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I was amazed when I started hunting the park. There r stands everywhere. I used to avoid these spots,(not wanting to crowd someone's spot) but after a few years hunting there I noticed very little or no activity in them . If I wanted to hunt that area I would set up and hunt even if I was right next to another stand. I think I have only had one person actually come in and hunt a stand that I was crowding once..

I assume they either hunted it earlier or later in season.

Trying to claim a spot with a stand is bs.. leaving a stand in the woods because you don't feel like trucking it out....., who cares..

you know the risks, some dbag could come along anytime and steal it ..

I couldn't agree more. What's more concerning is that people just don't care. It's a resource for all tax payers. What if everyone left all their stands in the woods forever. Then the place would look like the playground in my neighborhood. The park could one day decide that hunters are doing more harm than good and shut down hunting for everyone just because some people think they can leave their crap all over the woods. I failed to mention the empty water bottles and other litter all around. It's a shame honestly.

I couldn't agree more. What's more concerning is that people just don't care. It's a resource for all tax payers. What if everyone left all their stands in the woods forever. Then the place would look like the playground in my neighborhood. The park could one day decide that hunters are doing more harm than good and shut down hunting for everyone just because some people think they can leave their crap all over the woods. I failed to mention the empty water bottles and other litter all around. It's a shame honestly.

One of the "stands" on the state land I hunt (it's an aluminum ladder ratchet strapped to a tree next to a hang on) has a Buck Bomb and a Busch Light can at the base of it. Classic NY

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:52 AM, Doc said:

This is one law that could be self-policing. All you have to do is make it so that any stand in the woods after a certain day is up for grabs by anyone who wants it...........End of problem.

Exactly ^^^^^^^^