Letchworth

DanielT

36 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

This park is called the Grand Canyon of the East. Goggle it and check out this land. There are bucks bigger than this guy on that park. There are bucks that will never be seen by any hunter on there. Its rough country and many guys wont put in what it takes to get to many of them. 

I don't know bud, you really think there are 200 inch deer in the park?  The deer in the photo has to be what, 180-190?  As for the rough country and no one putting in the time, I've walked a whole lot of area's on the river bottom that were a son of a gun hard area's to access.....only to find stand after tree stand up down there. I've had trail cams up high and low for years and have yet to get a photo of anything bigger than 135 inches. I've heard of a few 140's and one or 2 deer that scored 150 (second hand stories) but nothing remotely close to the one in the photo from out west. I live a mile from the park and have seen a few taken around 150 inches as well out in the farmlands so there are some nice deer in the area. I just don't see the park as holding a lot of deer that would score more than that.  Just sayin'

• Like 3

I understand the point of places for bucks to hide. But all the big WT states seem to be farmlands and not rough country, that's why I'm wondering why this place is so good. Is there lots of food for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah. The top is all farm land and the woods are full of nuts. Of both kinds! Lol. The norm is the deer pile out of the bottom and work their way up to the farmland by night and back down to the bowels of Letchworth by day. Many places you can't walk upright down there. They can cross the river and go to either the East or West side. There are without a doubt bucks of this caliber down there but its surly not for the faint of heart. 3 guys dragging a 132 in 12pt that weighed in at 162 took 3 guys 6 hours plus to get out! It's tough!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I understand the point of places for bucks to hide. But all the big WT states seem to be farmlands and not rough country, that's why I'm wondering why this place is so good. Is there lots of food for them?

I looked on satellite view of this park on Google maps  it's all crops farm land around it that's why they get big there .

Plus you need a permit to hunt there they only let in so many people and I do believe it's shotgun only . 

To far for me anyway .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, genesee_mohican said:

I don't know bud, you really think there are 200 inch deer in the park?  The deer in the photo has to be what, 180-190?  As for the rough country and no one putting in the time, I've walked a whole lot of area's on the river bottom that were a son of a gun hard area's to access.....only to find stand after tree stand up down there. I've had trail cams up high and low for years and have yet to get a photo of anything bigger than 135 inches. I've heard of a few 140's and one or 2 deer that scored 150 (second hand stories) but nothing remotely close to the one in the photo from out west. I live a mile from the park and have seen a few taken around 150 inches as well out in the farmlands so there are some nice deer in the area. I just don't see the park as holding a lot of deer that would score more than that.  Just sayin'

Well i wont knock your way of thinking or question your hunting ability in any way but i will say that i can walk in the other room and show you 3 that went 132 to 136, I can show you a 156 that came off the park and i can show you a 161 that came off the Highbanks Rd farm right next to the park. We have seen buck that smoke any of them on that park. I am a firm believer that if the record is ever broken it will come from that park. Did you not see the buck taken a handful of miles from the park a few years back? Up in the 170's i believe.

As far as stands i can tell ya you may have been in some rough country and still found some stands but you didnt see any of ours unless you had ropes involved. There are places on that park that will be lucky to ever have a human standing on them.

Thats where you will find the smartest and biggest bucks standing. They have all they need down there with feed and all the ladies they can handle. 

I have to ask...Have you ever had cam's out on the bottom at the Hogsback Area?

• Like 1

I have seen a few deer taken in this area that went 170 + and I'm sure the park holds something in that range somewhere. I was scouting the river bottom a couple of Septembers ago, walking up along the river on the gravel and came around the bend to see a buck in velvet standing next to the willow thickets. When he turned his head I had a hard time comprehending his rack but it was a sight to see. No idea what he scored but it was way up there. I will agree that the big ones in the park are very difficult to tag, they just have a zillion places to hide and tend to be more nocturnal in my experience. I just started scouting the hogsback area this past January, no cameras on the bottom, but some in areas where it looks like they come up over on the top. It's steep for sure but I'll be exploring more again after the season ends. Scouting the park keeps me in good shape, I'll tell ya that! I have farm land around my house that is much easier to hunt and get a deer out of, but I love the park and just being in that place does my soul a lot good. I hope we both get a good one this year! Be safe on this slopes.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Well i wont knock your way of thinking or question your hunting ability in any way but i will say that i can walk in the other room and show you 3 that went 132 to 136, I can show you a 156 that came off the park and i can show you a 161 that came off the Highbanks Rd farm right next to the park. We have seen buck that smoke any of them on that park. I am a firm believer that if the record is ever broken it will come from that park. Did you not see the buck taken a handful of miles from the park a few years back? Up in the 170's i believe.

As far as stands i can tell ya you may have been in some rough country and still found some stands but you didnt see any of ours unless you had ropes involved. There are places on that park that will be lucky to ever have a human standing on them.

Thats where you will find the smartest and biggest bucks standing. They have all they need down there with feed and all the ladies they can handle. 

I have to ask...Have you ever had cam's out on the bottom at the Hogsback Area?

Never been there just looked at the Google Earth pics it's a long thin  park surrounded by farm land on all sides probably  any big deer there  are coming from the farm lands around it . 

Edited by LJC

18 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

A true Record book Buck and there have been bigger seen!!! Ya get out what ya put in and I know this man and his son and they keep track of the deer and they put their time in!!! Awesome!!

I know plenty of nice bucks taken around the area but you are leading people astray with your exaggeration of untouched state recorded deer the truth is thier is more hunters per square mile in that park then any private  land within 100miles. is there good deer population in that area yes but it is far from what you build it up to be. just the fact that you so quickly associated yourself I with a fake buck should really give people an idea of your exaggeration skills. 

I know there is some nice bucks there not arguing that but to be fair that goes for every part of wny. but the idea that it's some magical untouched trophy park would be a huge disillusion.  

The idea is the more guys that hunt it with out knowlage push deer right to the veteran hunters like yourself so I can see why you would want to advertise how amazing it is.  

now the fishing on the other hand,  I have caught smallmouth down there the size of grouper state record fish no doubt.. no one fishes way down there.. so they usually just die of old age:)  

I know plenty of nice bucks taken around the area but you are leading people astray with your exaggeration of untouched state recorded deer the truth is thier is more hunters per square mile in that park then any private  land within 100miles. is there good deer population in that area yes but it is far from what you build it up to be. just the fact that you so quickly associated yourself I with a fake buck should really give people an idea of your exaggeration skills. 
I know there is some nice bucks there not arguing that but to be fair that goes for every part of wny. but the idea that it's some magical untouched trophy park would be a huge disillusion.  
The idea is the more guys that hunt it with out knowlage push deer right to the veteran hunters like yourself so I can see why you would want to advertise how amazing it is.  
now the fishing on the other hand,  I have caught smallmouth down there the size of grouper state record fish no doubt.. no one fishes way down there.. so they usually just die of old age:)  

Really Now! Well let's see here. I believe the park is 17 miles long and like 70 thousand acres of land. Most of which most hunters would not venture on their best days! Now tell me how we. A group of 6 most times, pull at least 1 buck a year out of there that makes book, most with archery but many with shotgun! Then please explain to me how there are to many hunters on 17 miles and 70,000 acres of land when they only allow 500 hunters on that park??? Sounds like you are one of the ones that like to hunt up near the road where most of the other hunters are. For that you are right and I thank you! Keep pushing them right down to the guys that will go that extra mile to pull another book buck out again this fall.

You don't have to worry about me pushing you a deer that's 498  hunters more then I like to hunt with.  like I said no doubt there is deer there and I'm glad you have the skills to get them and get them out I'm very proud of your achievements. but I would say DanielT and genesseMo have far more realistic views. but hey go get that state record don't let me ruin your dreams. Honestly best of luck.  

Edited by Odorless

You don't have to worry about me pushing you a deer that's 498  hunters more then I like to hunt with.  like I said no doubt there is deer there and I'm glad you have the skills to get them and get them out I'm very proud of your achievements. but I would say DanielT and genesseMo have far more realistic views. but hey go get that state record don't let me ruin your dreams. Honestly best of luck.  

Well maybe after they get a few trophies and 20 years of hunting the park under their belt they will see a different picture. Same to you on the luck and hopefully your right on the trophy. Won't be from lack of trying!

31 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

any idea on how many people apply? have you ever not been picked?

I Have... Many Times. Upwards of 1500 i have heard. In Archery anyone can go if you just go online and fill out the Self Permit. For Shotgun they let so many on the West side and so many on the East side. We have a camp down there but always still rent a cabin for the first week of shotgun even if not needed just in case anyone gets turned down in the lottery. If you rent a cabin you are allowed 6 hunters total and everybody gets a permit. That way the park makes some needed cash and people are happy.

There is no doubt that if you stay up top in the easy hunting areas you will see the City hunters, The older fellas and the guys afraid to get lost so they sit where they can hunt yet still see the pickup. Get off the beaten path and you are in some awesome country. Get over on the East side and its like the big woods in the Dak's. Like was said before..Its not for the faint of heart to get to some of these places but i saw the 2nd biggest buck i have ever seen on that park taken uphill not 100 yards from the road. They travel and chase just like any other place and that morning that buck was a few minutes late trying to get back down to the bottom and he paid the ultimate.

• Like 2

Well maybe after they get a few trophies and 20 years of hunting the park under their belt they will see a different picture.

I think this is my 8th year hunting it. I put a lot of time in scouting during the the off season and I usually do a half dozen ...all day sits on or near the bottom during bow n gun along will my am| pm hunts. Results?...Just humbled so far.

• Like 2