Letchworth

DanielT

6 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Crossbow is open today for those with lottery permits. My paperwork says i can use Crossbow. Today and again in late Archery? 

Anywhere else in the state you can use a crossbow the last 2 weeks of bow season.

Letchworth has it worded funny, so I called them and the confirmed...... that there is no use of crossbows during bow season,.... (at least this year anyways).  The last sentence on #3 of the Archery permit reads:

"This permit includes the usage of Crossbow during the late muzzeloader season only."

You'd think they would just say something like: No crossbows allowed during archery season, like they say, no rifles allowed during gun season. And one would also think they would write on the permit......the fact that there are no longer antler restrictions in place.....since they've been in place in the park for about 10 years now.....just sayin'. 

• Like 1

Anywhere else in the state you can use a crossbow the last 2 weeks of bow season.
Letchworth has it worded funny, so I called them and the confirmed...... that there is no use of crossbows during bow season,.... (at least this year anyways).  The last sentence on #3 of the Archery permit reads:
"This permit includes the usage of Crossbow during the late muzzeloader season only."
You'd think they would just say something like: No crossbows allowed during archery season, like they say, no rifles allowed during gun season. And one would also think they would write on the permit......the fact that there are no longer antler restrictions in place.....since they've been in place in the park for about 10 years now.....just sayin'. 

Yes true for anyone that did not get in under the lottery system. My green permit gives the season and the dates of crossbow season. It was the same last year. Under the lottery you are in crossbow. So mine reads anyways. I know of at least 5 who carried yesterday and will today. We shall see I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you are looking at the Regular Season Permit.....which is for gun season....and you can use a crossbow, bow or gun. You may want to call the park on bow season regs....I know I am to double check. You don't want to risk future park privileges over breaking a rule.

5 hours ago, genesee_mohican said:

Sounds like you are looking at the Regular Season Permit.....which is for gun season....and you can use a crossbow, bow or gun. You may want to call the park on bow season regs....I know I am to double check. You don't want to risk future park privileges over breaking a rule.

Send me you number and i will text a pic to ya. And a few bucks taken and a few that were let to grow. 315-783-2848

1 hour ago, genesee_mohican said:

I missed that, and stand corrected... so thanks for clearing it up FSW! 

So yes, crossbow is cool if you have a lottery tag. 

Not a problem. They are another tool to use. Took a doe tonight with the crossbow and can tell ya that its not a cake walk. Getting that thing up and down in the tree is a pain

Genesee, You should put that trail cam pic up. I bet some would enjoy that. You can put up the video i sent ya from this morning if ya like. I am not much for putting things up here?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Not a problem. They are another tool to use. Took a doe tonight with the crossbow and can tell ya that its not a cake walk. Getting that thing up and down in the tree is a pain

Genesee, You should put that trail cam pic up. I bet some would enjoy that. You can put up the video i sent ya from this morning if ya like. I am not much for putting things up here?

I'm kind of like the Amish when it comes to pictures.....especially my deer pictures!  lol.

I'm down to a few days left with the bow, but heading out this am for an all day hunt, in a park stand I've yet to sit at. 33F and calm, hope the bucks are moving!   >>>-------->

• Like 1

Congrats on the doe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It's been quiet on this thread..... I know some nice bucks have been taken in the park this past week, but none by me. I sat all day on Monday, and saw a spike and a doe. (poor choice of days to take off, just too warm). I plan to sit all day Friday and hope to get a crack at one. Temps will be much colder so it should be good for the last weekend.

• Like 1

We've been here since Tuesday afternoon. Not a lot of deer seen by the 4 of us. We must be mostly in the wrong spots because most people we have talked to have been seeing quite a few.
Buddy shot a nice 10 though..imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20161110%2F006dd0c4f70bdca0172e62f4682f4b09.jpg&key=003468c7fc9d2a3a196c82aef1dc5d12b3ae92a3711d5e28fabd22515773d1a7

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lol. You were not supposed to put that thing on here. Lol. Now we will have all the Riff Raff down here. lol. Couple of the guys on here seen the pics of most of what we have taken off the park so far. It's is a tad warm for my liking. That 10pt there wanted to be a 12 with a couple short kickers. Very pretty Buck!

• Like 3

Great buck ncountry - I would love to see those photos you speak of Four Season. I would classify myself as fun Riff Raff atleast ! 

I haven't seen a buck all season so far in the town Birdsall I hunt in, I plan on taking a trip down to Letchworth this winter. Follow some tracks, and definitely scout some next summer to. Its been a while since I have repelled, but I think I can manage there. Currently my stands 30 minutes off the road now.

Great buck ncountry - I would love to see those photos you speak of Four Season. I would classify myself as fun Riff Raff atleast ! 

I haven't seen a buck all season so far in the town Birdsall I hunt in, I plan on taking a trip down to Letchworth this winter. Follow some tracks, and definitely scout some next summer to. Its been a while since I have repelled, but I think I can manage there. Currently my stands 30 minutes off the road now.

Lol. You have to read the park rules. No repelling in the park. This year just as many brutes have came from the top as have from the bottom. The East side is much bigger than the West if you have never seen it. You will encounter less hunters on the East!

Was just joking about the repelling Four Seasons, due to the prior comments about it and you guys saying how steep it is. I live in Rochester, so I have been on the trails before- mostly walking the creeks with my daughters. So I will research the hunting areas and go from there. 

Pretty funny I have driven by the Mount Morris exit hundreds of times going to the Dansville exit- now every time I drive by I wonder whats on that river bottom of Letchworth. The last mountable buck I have seen on the stateland I hunt was probably 7-8 years ago, I think investigating the park would greatly increase my odds next year. Thank you all for enlightening myself and fellow hunters with this intel. 

Anyone else besides me surprised and disappointed to find they had lifted the antler restrictions rule in the park???  I know the guys in the cabin next to us were "stackin em up like cord wood" as i heard them say...  My feelings on this are not good and i believe the Park as we know it may not have as many mature bucks there in pretty short time..  it was always a rule i personally liked about Letchworth.  It at least made a guy think before he shot.  

• Like 2

We had a good week for sightings this week, although we only had 1 buck taken by my buddy.  I saw a lot of small bucks and 3 Giants that would rival some bucks in the midwest.. Overall for me personally as far as just seeing deer went, my best year in sightings since 2012...  I will be back on Sunday and then next Friday through Tuesday.   I am pretty sure that 10 pter was hanging at the cabin behind us.  Great buck for sure.  Four Seasons, I saw your truck on several occasions.  Maybe someday will be able to personally say hello..

Anyone else besides me surprised and disappointed to find they had lifted the antler restrictions rule in the park???  I know the guys in the cabin next to us were "stackin em up like cord wood" as i heard them say...  My feelings on this are not good and i believe the Park as we know it may not have as many mature bucks there in pretty short time..  it was always a rule i personally liked about Letchworth.  It at least made a guy think before he shot.  

Very disappointed...I will still always practice it personally

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DanielT said:

Very disappointed...I will still always practice it personally

As will the guys in our group as well.  We are going to write some letters to Roland Beck and also the DEC....

• Like 1

It's like giving up
..come on man
The whole state should have this...and make people responsible for bad choices when they shoot..and leave a deer
You can't tell me they can't keep track of each car or truck and where they are parked for each am and pm hunt...then when someone finds a deer wrongly killed...at least the investigation has a start

Yes it does suck but many will still make it thru the onslaught and grow to be beasts. The young ones that hang around the easy to get to spots will be taken out but the fact still remains that the hunters that are our kind of hunters, The ones that leave the sight of their truck or love the river will still not kill a little guy and then have to get it out of there.

Ar does work in places like this. I believe its more that the deer numbers are up for the restricts taken off as to deer being left behind. These park guys dont leave their cars very much and for them to know whats left in the woods???  Not buying that!

Dale that 10 was the same buck. maybe we will cross paths yet as i will be here till Thanksgiving anyways for this trip.