Buck Beds

moog5050

Historically it is a doe bedding area with a scrape where the bucks tend to come through in Nov.  We expected to catch bucks cruising not bedding.  Seems that the little guys like it though. There is daily doe activity there too.  No improvements, nada. I did find a huge buck bed last year about 30yds away in the adjoining cattails.

Funny but these are some of the spots I key in on up North.  Much easer to find a bunch of doe and where they bed vs finding a lone buck!  I just need to spot them before they bust me so I can act like the drunk girl in the back of the bar!  lol

Couldn't have said it better myself Phade!

My question sort of ties in here.  Literally an hour ago I found a spot that 6 or 7 rubs in a 10-12' diameter, some rubs and some light tickle marks.  Seems matted down also, and has a trail leading in/out on both ends.  This is in a transition type area with the spot being about 60' from a dried up pond with 6' tall vegetation, the other side of this tub cluster is woods for about 500' to backyards.  Would this be considered a routine bed typically? 

Not looking to hijack here sorry.  I did have a cam with me so I set it up nearby.

Sure sounds like a buck bed. You'd need to look at what the buck can see hear and smell from that spot. It might give you a clue as to what winds he might use it on or possibly when he might use it. This spot here has had a few more bucks bed there. Again they only use it when the does start coming into estrous. They won't bother with it any other time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 4:37 PM, Bionic said:

My question sort of ties in here.  Literally an hour ago I found a spot that 6 or 7 rubs in a 10-12' diameter, some rubs and some light tickle marks.  Seems matted down also, and has a trail leading in/out on both ends.  This is in a transition type area with the spot being about 60' from a dried up pond with 6' tall vegetation, the other side of this tub cluster is woods for about 500' to backyards.  Would this be considered a routine bed typically? 

Not looking to hijack here sorry.  I did have a cam with me so I set it up nearby.

I would say yes.  Like Phade said this is not a typical buck bed but a doe bed, bucks like to hang out waiting for the doe to return.  They will bed in the area for a while then roam to another location if no doe show up. 

They seem to only do this during the pre-rut and rut basically looking for doe.  Sounds like a great spot!  Good luck!