They found it....

Well I am still picking that stupid garden...even after the frosts..broccoli,Brussels and NOW my sweet peepers decide to bloom like crazy and set a whole bunch of baby peppers. Well, way under all the branches I found a lot of big ones to pick. The deer found the garden and have been eating corn off stalks. The pole and bush beans and some squash I left out there. ...anyways while out there I checked the turnip plot around goat barn.

Remember me saying that "new" turnip was producing turnips near as big as my tea kettle...The deer ate that one ..so I picked the one near it that was not quite as big but about the size of most...here is the comparison: I think I'll be buying them again!

IMG_1945.JPG

Edited by growalot
  • Like 3

Its funny you say that, I planted a bunch of vegetable seeds just before our drought just to see if anything would sprout and grow.. I couldnt spend the time to tend the garden this year but would reap the rewards if anything somehow grew. Nothing germinated so i tilled it under and spread a double beam blend over it.. that grew great with the rain we finally got in august, and so did the garden i planted back in June lol. Mixed in with the brassicas and such are zucchini, squash, cherry tomatoes, small pumpkins and so on.. lol havent had a good enough frost to hurt anything.. until tonight im sure.. but it was kinda neat to see them growing in the mix lol  

lol sweet peepers...WTH...I might as well give up ..or just steal Mr B's newer version of Kindle...Mines just getting worse..

I planted a Late June /July garden and have around 7 bushels of green tomatoes out there...grew great just not fast enough...Well some are starting and I have brought them in to finish ripening...speaking of which think I'll go get some to make fried green tomatoes...before the freeze hits also some more swiss chard...I had GREAT swiss chard this year. I tossed a bunch of left over bush bean seeds out into the turnip plot and got some great beans out of them...until the deer found them.

Yeah, so what is with those stupid peppers. I did get a lot of nice sized green peppers ....... eventually. But now with the threat of frost constantly in the forecast, they are starting to go crazy with those baby peppers that we know will never mature to picking size. AND ..... they are still putting on new blossoms.

And, we got a huge crop of carrots and they were all monsters. So do they need severe drought to grow big and plentiful?

Potatoes came out small and stunted as expected, but the butternut squash and acorn squash filled out just great in spite of no water. Beets ..... great. Next year I'll be hoping for another drought!

• Like 2

The turnips are called Hercules and I purchased them through the Dansville Agway...checked on them today ...Deer tore them up! They can't seem to finish them in one night so it takes a few visits..How perfect is that near a stand? eventually I'll catch them in shooting hours...lol

Seriously Doc it was the craziest garden season I've ever had....I just saw winter squash on sale for 1.39 per #. I easily  have 100#'s of just that. We gave away 30 pumpkins to workers and family friends plus the ones we kept and 20 left for the deer...Just every thing over produced... I earned my keep this year for sure..hahahhaha:wink:

• Like 1

grow, I'm amazed at the productivity of your garden with such a drought this year. Heck, we couldn't get a 3 foot by 15 foot garden to produce very well. Watered everyday and plants still seemed stunted in size with very little vegetables

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

grow, I'm amazed at the productivity of your garden with such a drought this year. Heck, we couldn't get a 3 foot by 15 foot garden to produce very well. Watered everyday and plants still seemed stunted in size with very little vegetables

I could change my forum name to "doesnotgrowalot":rolleyes:

• Like 1

This pic never posted but, like to see if they eat them. They have never eaten the radish tuber nor leaves before when ive planted these.. Hoping they do this time with it in a brassica blend this year instead of an all Radish planting..

such good looking plants for the deer not to eat them lol 

Im sure they appreciate my efforts though lol 

20161029_111005.jpg