Fall Smallmouth

wolc123

My two favorite pursuits are whitetail deer and smallmouth bass and the warm weather made me go for the fish first on my trip to my in-laws place in the Adirondacks last week.  This 22" was my largest in many years, and definitely the hardest fighter, taking 12 minutes to land on 8 pound test.   She hit a 1/8 oz bucktail jig, in 5 feet of water, on opening day afternoon of NZ ML deer season.  My father in law complained a bit when I released her (he wants to decorate his place with "native" mounts).  She was just so healthy looking and in good shape that I had to put her back. I told him that I will mount a 23" if I ever get one, at least I have something to aim for now.    

s.JPG

• Like 6

I did not weigh her.  Fortunately I had a 5 gallon bucket in the rowboat and I put her in it and ran across the lake, back to the house, with my father in law's 10 hp outboard at wide open throttle.   I yelled for them to bring out a camera and a tape measure, then got her right back into the lake.  I made sure my hands were wet when I touched her.   She definitely used up a lot of energy on the landing, but she swam away real good when I released her.   I think her odds of making it are good.   The water temperature was in the lower 60's.   Years ago, I caught a 23 incher out in lake Erie in that special early May season (also released).  That one was probably a good bit heavier (also not weighed), being full of eggs, but did not put up nearly the fight in the cooler water (in the lower 50's).     

I was fishing for over an hour for lake trout, in deeper water before I tied on the jig and moved into the shoreline for this fall bass.   Had she not shot straight up and jumped clear of the waterline, right after the hookset, I would have swore she was a big laker.   After that jump, she peeled drag and headed out for deeper water.   It took me more than 10 minutes to start pulling her back up.   I was pulling as hard as I dared on the 8 pound line the whole time.     

On 10/30/2016 at 6:15 PM, Pygmy said:

Paula....I have a pair of jockey shorts that say DAVID ALLEN COE.....

I'd like to show them to you sometime.....<<SMILE>>....

" You don't have to call me Darlin' ......DARLIN' "..........

They certainly don't make country like they use to. :rolleyes:

• Like 1