What happened to the Xbow inclusion thread?

Steuben Jerry

3 hours ago, Doc said:

The DEC has made their feelings on firearms coincident with the bow season pretty plain haven't they? And I'll bet there is no one in NYS muzzleloading organizations that think it would be a bad idea. I would imagine that if the pistol hunters were numerous enough and organized, they could jump into the middle of this free-for-all season-grab too.

The only good news to all this is that now with the crossbow advocates shoe-horning their way into the season, we'll have more selfish and elitist hunters trying to exclude other weapons from the bowseason crossbow season. Or will the new arrivals join in expanding the clutter of other weapons in bowseason? H-m-m-m-m ....... yeah, logically that is actually likely.

LOL, you just cant stop yourself from making the leap from the DEC suggesting an early ML season (most likely before bow starts) on a very limited basis (only in WMUs that have an overpopulation problem) that happens on a year by year basis to saying the DEC wants to replace bow season with added gun season time. Classic.

50 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

There is no winning with you, it's like trying to get a Clinton loving liberal to vote for Trump it's not going to happen.

To each their own, I hope for the sake of archery season it stays the way it is.

You wont win the argument with me because for one, Im not trying to win anything, and second, your side cant come up with a valid argument in my opinion. Facts are facts, and most of the arguments against crossbows are based upon opinion, not facts. You are more than welcome to whatever opinion you want as far as Im concerned, but when you spew utter nonsense, dont be shocked when someone with the real facts on the matter takes your opinion to task.

not many tags down where you hunt?

Not where I live...I had 3pp and got denied....

Luckily I get a landowner tag from the landowner and a wounded vet tag from another so I always get tags but still if something happened and I didn't it would be a different situation...

BTW both those tags go in their freezers not mine that's why I get the year after year

Esit...I get 3 for up in 8n tho

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

But it shoots an arrow so it must be considered archery, you're a smart guy you can see what he and most of us are saying.

Just because it shoots an arrow doesnt make it archery. Ive already said a couple of times what I consider archery tackle. I dont need to repeat myself over and over.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Not where I live...I had 3pp and got denied....
Luckily I get a landowner tag from the landowner and a wounded vet tag from another so I always get tags but still if something happened and I didn't it would be a different situation...

BTW both those tags go in their freezers not mine that's why I get the year after year

I am not busting balls and it does really tie to the spirit of this thread. I hunt every season and in both zones. But why should I get a shot at a doe that another hunter that just gun hunts doesn't? Heck the tag we get with bow or ML for the most part isn't even controlled to an area that they are needed for the most part. (just a few NZ areas that won't allow take of antlerless using them). I just think they should be more controlled and every hunter in NY should have ea shot. I spent a lot of years growing up with 2 or 3 of us on a permit and most times it was an every other year success for the draw but there were 2 year dry spells. Went years without seeing a horn in the woods but we all still enjoyed it and hunted hard. 

I am not busting balls and it does really tie to the spirit of this thread. I hunt every season and in both zones. But why should I get a shot at a doe that another hunter that just gun hunts doesn't? Heck the tag we get with bow or ML for the most part isn't even controlled to an area that they are needed for the most part. (just a few NZ areas that won't allow take of antlerless using them). I just think they should be more controlled and every hunter in NY should have ea shot. I spent a lot of years growing up with 2 or 3 of us on a permit and most times it was an every other year success for the draw but there were 2 year dry spells. Went years without seeing a horn in the woods but we all still enjoyed it and hunted hard. 

I think without a guaranteed doe tag we would see a drop in licence sales...how many guys buy the bow licence or mz licence just for the tag. I don't think they would go for that as pure money standpoint

5 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I think without a guaranteed doe tag we would see a drop in licence sales...how many guys buy the bow licence or mz licence just for the tag. I don't think they would go for that as pure money standpoint

Didn't chase the gun hunters away did it? What makes us so special that we get a shot at a doe and a guy that only gun hunts shouldn't get a shot at one?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Didn't chase the gun hunters away did it? What makes us so special that we get a shot at a doe and a guy that only gun hunts shouldn't get a shot at one?

Plus, it erodes at the DEC's ability to properly manage the herd. Those doe tags can be used anywhere in the state, regardless of how many should be taken in the area they end up filled in.

• Like 1

Plus, it erodes at the DEC's ability to properly manage the herd. Those doe tags can be used anywhere in the state, regardless of how many should be taken in the area they end up filled in.

I think it is accounted for year to year in how many doe tags are offered in lottery

But he can get it with a gun? Mz is a gun?

let me rephrase this then since you are playing so coy. Why should a guy have to purchase a special privilege to get one with such crappy odds like you described and we get a guarantee? why not just draw and everyone is on the same playing field?

• Like 1

I think it is accounted for year to year in how many doe tags are offered in lottery

How can they figure it in? I can use my archery doe tag or either sex tag in any WMU I want. It could be a WMU I have never hunted and has a seriously low population of deer. Thats not good for management. They should all be the same as regular DMPs, set to a certain WMU.

let me rephrase this then since you are playing so coy. Why should a guy have to purchase a special privilege to get one with such crappy odds like you described and we get a guarantee? why not just draw and everyone is on the same playing field?

Bc the only way I get a guaranteed one is if I buy that special privilege just like he has the option to?

but that is really the tail wagging the dog. management after the fact. (They do enough of that anyway...lol)

Right system is far from perfect but I don't think they do as bad as job as some think. On problem as read it's not their fault that doe are not get shot either from lack of access or lack of hunters.

2 hours ago, phade said:

Ohio has a long standing xbow inclusion and they are not at 95%. Around 50% use xbow. They've had xbow for decades.

Ohio its legal  to  bait with corn overthere. 

Not going to make much different when your baiting deer to come within 10 feet of your ground blind or stand lol  

How can they figure it in? I can use my archery doe tag or either sex tag in any WMU I want. It could be a WMU I have never hunted and has a seriously low population of deer. Thats not good for management. They should all be the same as regular DMPs, set to a certain WMU.

Yea but for the most part we all fill our tags on the same general areas. 1 extra dead doe in a random wmu bc you took a trip isn't going to offset the population

1 hour ago, brownclown said:

I guess ill repeat myself for the millionth time. Well i know it is inevitable that full inclusion will occur based on DEC goals of eliminating as many deer as possible continues. Im just curious of those of who are insisting for full inclusion during bow season, will you fight or object when this slippery slope inevitably starts including muzzle loaders ? The only reasoning/argument that i see being proposed by the those who want full inclusion consists of nothing more then "it's not fair". it just seems to be a jealousy yet no one is stopping you from using the compound now. Those of you that physically cant (age, disability, etc.) should be allowed use of xbow and that seems universally supported by all posting.  All of you on full inclusion have the all or nothing mind set. Why not compromise.  Split the season evenly or allow xbow use during archery on private land. To me that seems like everybody would be getting what we want. Hunters would be united. seems simple to me but unfortunately Compound users are the ones who will lose (this time, next it will be xbow ) because untimely in isnt about the hunter, it is about DEC agendas which i dont believe align with most hunters. 

Good idea 

I must have missed the part of the regulation that said compound hunters had to use a crossbow? must have been the same wording where the traditional archers had to use the compound when they were included? Hunters are a pitiful f'in group. More worried about others than your own experience. I don't buy into the "crossbows will ruin your hunting". 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LJC said:

Ohio its legal  to  bait with corn overthere. 

Not going to make much different when your baiting deer to come within 10 feet of your ground blind or stand lol  

The point remains - you are spewing garbage. 95% of archery hunters turns into xbow? Ohio has a long history of xbow and they're maybe 50% of the group. They can also hunt from Sept to Feb.

Fear mongering. The generalizations you use are mind boggling.

And it's only on private ground...

Edited by phade
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

No I do get it but 1 guaranteed doe tag puts meat in the freezer...we don't have alot of deer some years I don't even see a buck down here

You in 8X or 8Y? That is where I hunt and I can agree I see the same doe almost every sit and not any others maybe 1 buck if I'm lucky and that is on a 300 acre tract of land. On the state border WMU's you generally get 1 tag for that WMU then Pref. Points for the 2nd.