My most recent 7600 project

Buckmaster7600

I'm sure you guys are sick and tired of listening to me ramble on about my pump rifles, but if you're not this one is one that is extra special to me. It began life as a full length 30-06 that was bought by my Grandfather in 86 or 87. He killed a bunch of deer with it but has moved to Florida and doesn't hunt anymore. Last year when he was home I was out shooting and he stopped by and handed me this rifle. He told me it's something he wanted me to have and wasn't going to use it anymore. The gun means a lot to me as some of my fondest memories are of hunting with him and this rifle.

It sat in my closet for almost a year because I already had 2 30-06 pumps and they were both carbines. I wanted to use this gun because of who's it was but I would never use it in its original form. So I started by having my gunsmith cut it down to a carbine then I ended up with 3 carbine 06 pumps. So I decided to ship it to Oregon and have it made into a 35whelen I only had 1 of them and it is in rough shape. So it got back and now I had a 35whelen carbine that was in excellent shape. So I tuned the action and did a bunch of trigger work added an oversized safety and customized a 20ga 870 stock and forearm to fit and look factory. The only thing I have left to do is put a DNZ scope mount to put this awesome leupold VX-R in that finally came but I don't know when I'm going to have time to sight it in with all the hunting I have been doing so it might wait until the end of season.75b0a04dd21c1d990aaf60898c5da273.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Looks great. Is there any difference between a 20g butt stock and a 7600 one? i've always heard different things and am curious. I have a 30-06 with a synthetic stock that i want to put wood furniture on, but i would prefer finding it off of an old 7600 because the wood was nicer back then. Also how did you get the 20g forearm to work?

• Like 1

Looks great. Is there any difference between a 20g butt stock and a 7600 one? i've always heard different things and am curious. I have a 30-06 with a synthetic stock that i want to put wood furniture on, but i would prefer finding it off of an old 7600 because the wood was nicer back then. Also how did you get the 20g forearm to work?

The stock is the same, I used an aftermarket hogue so it needed a little sanding to fit perfect. The forend is another story, there is a company called lumley that makes an adapter to make a 12ga 870 forend work. I didn't go this route because I wanted a better fit around the barrel so I got the 20 ga and did a fair amount of sanding and made a adapter similar to what lumley makes only smaller and they use metal and I used a pvc material "to keep weight down and for easier milling." After I got the forend to fit I used a spacer on the bottom tube and the adapter fills the hole on the end of the tube because an 870 tube is longer. It took a long time, way longer than I thought it would. In hindsight I will never again go through all the trouble and just buy the lumley adapter and use a 12ga forend. But I'm very happier with how it came out and it truly looks factory.

• Like 1

The 870 forend makes it look like an older 760 which I like. My grandfather has a black laminate 7600 in 35 Whelen back when they were laser engraving all of the 7600 receivers. I love that gun, kicks like a mule though. I'd love to find a factory black laminate stock for one of mine but they seem to be obsolete. 

Does having the barrel cut down to carbine length drastically affect the accuracy? 

The 870 forend makes it look like an older 760 which I like. My grandfather has a black laminate 7600 in 35 Whelen back when they were laser engraving all of the 7600 receivers. I love that gun, kicks like a mule though. I'd love to find a factory black laminate stock for one of mine but they seem to be obsolete. 
Does having the barrel cut down to carbine length drastically affect the accuracy? 

If done properly it has zero negative effect on accuracy and can actually make them shoot a little better because they are I pretty thin barrel. With a thin barrel the shorter it is the more stiff it is and in theory a stiff barrel is a accurate barrel.

What you do loose is velocity, something that doesn't bother me but it does some. I figure with the testing I have done with a bunch of different rifles and with a lot of caliber snow that you loose 1 level of cartridge by
Loosing 4"s of barrel "30-06 becomes a 308, 35whelen-358win, 308-300savage etc."

• Like 1