Wanted good spot for turkey hunting

iluvhunting

Depending on where ya wanna go or where ya wanna hunt.  I hunt several different public grounds. Here's a few close ones. Don't care who know's about them. Maple hill( chemung county),Catlin ( I think state forest,Chemung county) Connecticut Hill, Danby National forest,(michigan hollow rd). Texas hollow ,in odessa) . Either I have taken ,or buddies have taken nice longbeards off all of them . In 27 seasons they have all had one or two season's where it,pretty much sucked all season. But all are good public ground. Especially late season. See if i can find pics of legitimate public ground birds. Not sure if I have all of them?? From what i have learned from turkey's. Is I can go in one day. Lay the arsenal of calls at them.And not see or shoot squat! You go in the next day,with a hammer and rock, and smoke one. I don't own them. So have at it! I'll get my birds eventually,do the same style every season,I do just fine. And I'm still very much addicted,and love each season. Turkey's are turkey's,no matter where they are. They are all fun too hunt.

I found a couple pics. There is definitely more some where?

scottspics22.jpg

First NY state youth hunt,

scottspics20.jpg

This bird was a very memorable hunt. The Last day may 31st,on state land.Great story behind that hunt.Classic

scottshunting14.jpg

Not positive but I think this tom was shot on connecticut hill,around may 20 th??

scottspics103.jpg

One I took I think around May 15th. On state land. Late morning gobblefest,that was. 4 longbeards came lookin for love. 3 left looking for love.LOL!

eggs005.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Find some stateland, or private if you have access. and go out in april and listen!! going trout fishing early in the morning and listening to the birds gobble will tell you where they are plus you might catch a few trout ! Do Not Call a turkey call!!! this is most important as all it does is educate the birds and make them harder to call when season arrives. Just listen you may hear them fly out of a roost, gobble while walking along a ridge. Turkeys are creatures of habit and what you hear them do one day they will do another. They will roost in the same area,feed to the same area, go to the same strut area year after year. As the season gets closer maybe you'll want to slip into the woods and get a little closer so you can pinpoint their exact location.(start far enough away so you don't spook em') When opening day comes while a lot of hunters will be waiting to hear a gobble you can be set up on your bird even if it doesnt gobble it's probably still there.. Once you find a good roost area all it takes is quick listen to confirm its still being used every year.  There are turkeys everywhere and for those willing to put in a little time scouting a good spot can be found pretty easily.