Texas to OK college guns

Paulie

Gotta LOVE Texas....  The whackos that do such horrific crimes are going to get thier guns  regardless of legislation... Anti gun legislation only keeps the GOOD GUYS ( 99% of us) from having the means to defend ourselves... So many of these crimes would have resulted in less casualties if only there had been an armed citizen present...  In my opinion, if you do not want to have the means to defend yourself, that is your perogative, but it should be a CRIME and a TRAVESTY to deny the means of self defense to law abiding citizens...

The fact that these horrible crimes are committed is a social issue ...  I  certainly don't know what causes it, but it does exist in this country and in other countries also... The remedy, however, is NOT to deny our law abiding citizens thier rights under the 2nd amendment, or deny us the God given right to possess the means to defend ourselves...

God BLESS Texas...!!...

This measure only allows Concealed Carry Permit Holders to keep their guns on them when they go on campus.  These people already have a CCW permit, but college rules say you can not carry your gun on campus.

Considering the number of school shootings in the last decade, would you want to leave your gun at home if you had already gotten a CCW permit?

These people are not just students. This means anybody.  But they are at least 21 years old, have been given an extensive background check, specialized training and passed a written and practical exam to get that permit.  They can carry just about any where else in Texas as well as many other states with reciprocity laws.

So why is there a problem?  Anti-gun media hysteria, that's why.

Not to start a debate, but......with what goes on in college, is allowing the right to carry a good idea? I mean, you go to a bar, get a little tuned up and next thing you know someone is playing "Big Game Hunter" (or whatever that arcade game is called) for real.....don't get me wrong, I firmly believe in the right to bear arms! However, is this really a good idea? I know Texas is alot different the NY, but do the rewards out weigh the consequences?

Not to start a debate, but......with what goes on in college, is allowing the right to carry a good idea? I mean, you go to a bar, get a little tuned up and next thing you know someone is playing "Big Game Hunter" (or whatever that arcade game is called) for real.....don't get me wrong, I firmly believe in the right to bear arms! However, is this really a good idea? I know Texas is alot different the NY, but do the rewards out weigh the consequences?

I didn't know there were bars on college campuses.  When did that happen? 

People carry concealed in bars now.  The incidence of unjust shootings committed by CCW holders is statistically less the 1/10th of 1 percent nationwide.  These permit holders value the right to have that permit and are well aware of the responsibility of having one.  The law requires they be instructed at length of the consequences of shooting someone without just cause. 

Believe me they hope they will never have to use that gun.  Because if they do, they know the law makes them prove they had to, not the other way around.

The age for a pistol permit in most states is 21.  Many of these college students are ex-military now in college on the G.I. Bill.  Why should a permit holder not have the right to defend himself just because he is in college?

It's sad that our society has made people feel the average youth in American is not a responsible person.  Maybe that's because the good ones are ignored by this society.

I didn't know there were bars on college campuses.  When did that happen? 

Just to point out, we DO have a pub on campus here at RPI.  However, see my post above for my thoughts on the original topic...

I am on the fence with this issue, on the one hand people have the right to defend themselves in the event that someone shoots up the school, on the other hand I am a college student, if I walk into school and see someone with a gun I know that that person is not supposed to have that here, and it is reason to call security, if everyone who has a carry permit is allowed to carry one you take away that edge, you make it so that a kid with a gun is no longer suspicious, then when a kid with a gun shoots up the school everyone will say "well he is allowed to have a gun on campus, i didnt seem suspicious to me" so I don't really know how i feel about this one quite yet.

I am on the fence with this issue, on the one hand people have the right to defend themselves in the event that someone shoots up the school, on the other hand I am a college student, if I walk into school and see someone with a gun I know that that person is not supposed to have that here, and it is reason to call security, if everyone who has a carry permit is allowed to carry one you take away that edge, you make it so that a kid with a gun is no longer suspicious, then when a kid with a gun shoots up the school everyone will say "well he is allowed to have a gun on campus, i didnt seem suspicious to me" so I don't really know how i feel about this one quite yet.

Do you honestly think that a kid who intends to shoot up a school is going to be swayed by a law saying he can't have a gun on campus?

That is my point, if the law says he cannot, then other students will know if they happen to see the gun before the shooting, that it is not normal and security needs to be called, but if kids are allowed to bring guns to school, if a student happens to see it, they will most likely assume he has a permit, and not say anything, then if that kid shoots the school up, the person who saw the gun will say they thought that the shooter had a permit

That is my point, if the law says he cannot, then other students will know if they happen to see the gun before the shooting, that it is not normal and security needs to be called, but if kids are allowed to bring guns to school, if a student happens to see it, they will most likely assume he has a permit, and not say anything, then if that kid shoots the school up, the person who saw the gun will say they thought that the shooter had a permit

Except, that if guns are allowed, the guy could open fire, only to be taken out by someone else who was legally carrying.  An increased presence of firearms deters crime, as it has done in Utah already.