OK......Lets Hear It

DirtTime

8 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

stubby 68.....I have been calling Buckmaster 7600 " Stubby", due to his propensity for cutting his hunting rifle barrels to 16.5 inches....

Sorry for the confusion...I didn't mean to walk on your screen name..<<blush>>.......

No apologies  needed  my mistake. I thought it was a funny poke at the time.  Thanks for the clarification though.

• Like 1

I too have two trail cams, that are largely entertainment and security . Neither are near my stands , and I get a kick out of fox , turkey and coyote pics as much as deer .

My cameras don't Influence where my stands go. 30 years of hunting that spot do . Any stand adjustment comes from observations made during the prior seasons .

I posted two trail cam pics of the buck shot in bow, and both were from another guys cam across the road , after I sent him a pic of my dead deer, he said I got him on camera !

which is nice as most years ones I got on camera are shot over on their side.....

Being that I only hunt public land, I don't use any cams and I don't know of any apps that would help so all my deer on from putting boots on the ground, listening to word of mouth, and interacting on this forum.  The first 3 years, I would look at a map of public lands and then hike all over it.  Now, I don't have as much time to put in that type of dedication but fortunately I have amassed enough "spots" from those first 3 years that now I simply scout those spots before the season and decide which one will be my plan A, plan, B, plan C, etc.

• Like 2

Although I use cams,I find they are no replacement for live observation of patterns and movement. Cams for me simply supplement or confirm what I see with my peepers. Randomly dotting cams about the place invariably results in inconsistent pics and information.

I couldn't agree more, I scout funnels, thick brush what ever the case may be and look for sign. I will then set up a cam in the area and get as much info as possible. Perfect example@jmp5008 and myself are hunting a new piece this year. We have been pretty successful so far. And as we move and hang new stands we have 4 cameras that move with them. Just so we can keep tabs when we aren't there during the week! It's fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 4:50 PM, Pygmy said:

I guess that I'm old fashioned...I have a couple of trailcams and use them mostly for entertainment ( as I do this forum) and for security duty around the property.

As far as my actual hunting goes, I could throw them away tomorrow and never miss them a bit.

Of course, this isn't my first day off the turnip truck...I still rely mostly on my ability to read sign

My favorite trail-cam is a Cuddeback white flash that takes some real high quality color pictures. That really is all I am interested in getting with it. Well, I have learned a bit about deer behaviors with them, but I am real happy when I get a good color picture of a beaver, mink, muskrat, coyote or fox or whatever. I'm still hoping for a bear or bobcat picture. But the point is that for me it is a wildlife photography tool and not really a deer scouting implement. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Doc said:

My favorite trail-cam is a Cuddeback white flash that takes some real high quality color pictures. That really is all I am interested in getting with it. Well, I have learned a bit about deer behaviors with them, but I am real happy when I get a good color picture of a beaver, mink, muskrat, coyote or fox or whatever. I'm still hoping for a bear or bobcat picture. But the point is that for me it is a wildlife photography tool and not really a deer scouting implement. 

How's the battery life on you cuddys. I had 2 and had to replace them every 2 weeks. They went by bye bye. I leave my cameras out all year so it was getting expensive. I now have Moultrie and stealth. I get between 4 and 5 hundred pics a week most of the time per camera. only have change batteries 2 times a year. I just got my 3 stealth 3 months ago and they have been out since day one still say full battery. I hope the cameras themselves last as long as my Moultrie. 2 of those I have out since 07 and the other 2 since 09.

On 11/6/2016 at 6:43 PM, Elmo said:

Being that I only hunt public land, I don't use any cams and I don't know of any apps that would help so all my deer on from putting boots on the ground, listening to word of mouth, and interacting on this forum.  The first 3 years, I would look at a map of public lands and then hike all over it.  Now, I don't have as much time to put in that type of dedication but fortunately I have amassed enough "spots" from those first 3 years that now I simply scout those spots before the season and decide which one will be my plan A, plan, B, plan C, etc.

Most of the land I hunt is public land as well Elmo, so I am in the same boat.

I have a couple hundred acres of private to hunt land in the NZ, the owners are my trail cams. They walk the property twice a day for exercise, and give me feed back. "Deer are moving from here to there evenings on the back side of the small swamp", "Nice 6pt sighted on the back ridge near creek A."...etc. I have permission to put out cams, but unless I completely stop seeing deer up there, I never will. Spike I passed last year is thought to be a pretty nice body size 4 this year. Hoping to get up there this weekend and get a blind up and leave it up.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, stubby68 said:

How's the battery life on you cuddys.

Tremendous! I am on some batteries that were in use last year and for the past3 months have never faltered. Battery life is not really an issue. And the quality of the pics day or night is phenomenal.

Something that helps me out tremendously are the online tax maps. I'm not sure about other counties, but for Herkimer county you can see online a satellite map of the whole county broken up into everyones properties. You can click on a property and see who owns it, how many acres they own, etc... Its like an enhanced version of google maps. I've hunted the same property my whole life so i know the area pretty well, its just cool to look at and can help.