Installed my lifeline today...

Pygmy

13 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

You mean Larry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he may.... Well those are Lone Wolf sticks I believe they'er on right , i've been using LW sticks for many years . Why do,they look upside down? 

Real TC, it may be fine , but I'd dress that knot up .

Edited by Larry302

41 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

I bought those sticks off some another member named  larry over in Buffalo ..... You think he sold me defective ones ???

No LW are reversible side to side , so they have teeth on the top and bottom .

they do have teeth on the bottom but i think it's more for look.  the intent I'm pretty sure is to have the flat surface on the top to reduce the likely hood your foot would slip while climbing.  you can climb how you want, but i would have them flat side up.  even with a lifeline it sucks to slip.  it hurt like a mother when i got it to the shin and side both.  never lost grip with my hands either.

Make sure you are buying rope with the correct shock rating, and not just a "weight rating". There are charts out there that will give you the run down on what to look for.

I use 25 foot double braided 3/8" boat lines. They cost just under $10 each, then use 8mm Prussik line for the knot. Your connection should be a caribiner that has a threaded or spring loaded jacket that slides or screws over the latching point. I have one on my harness so I dont need them on all of the lifelines. This stuff isnt exactly cheap. I can do it for a few bucks less apiece than the premade ones, and thats with scouring the internet for part sources. Dont try and cheap out on it, if you use the wrong materials it will do you no good.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

How do you use one with the climber? Leave it on a tree that you frequently climb?

Loop it around the tree and slide it up as you go. Do the same thing coming down. You could leave it in the tree if you climb the same one each time but I usually take it out each time since I may not be in the same tree next time. Mine is longer than the one in the video and is long enough to reach the ground. The video gives a idea how to use it.

Edited by Steve D

Make sure you are buying rope with the correct shock rating, and not just a "weight rating". There are charts out there that will give you the run down on what to look for.

I use 25 foot double braided 3/8" boat lines. They cost just under $10 each, then use 8mm Prussik line for the knot. Your connection should be a caribiner that has a threaded or spring loaded jacket that slides or screws over the latching point. I have one on my harness so I dont need them on all of the lifelines. This stuff isnt exactly cheap. I can do it for a few bucks less apiece than the premade ones, and thats with scouring the internet for part sources. Dont try and cheap out on it, if you use the wrong materials it will do you no good.

How much for the lines minus the carabiner?

Interested in making some for members?

Loop it around the tree and slide it up as you go. Do the same thing coming down. You could leave it in the tree if you climb the same one each time but I usually take it out each time since I may not be in the same tree next time. Mine is longer than the one in the video and is long enough to reach the ground. The video gives a idea how to use it.

Ok I do the same thing. I thought you meant you use a lifeline that's attached at ground level and hunting height and slid your tether up it as you climbed

On 11/11/2016 at 6:03 PM, shawnhu said:

How much for the lines minus the carabiner?

Interested in making some for members?

I could send you links to the same things that I use, and a video on how to make the prussik, but theres no way Id sell them to anyone. The possible liability issues of something like this are too much for me. Id say they take about 10 minutes apiece to make since the boat line already has a loop on one end and is cut to length. Just have to cut the prussik rope, melt the ends and tie the knot. Super simple.

On 11/11/2016 at 4:37 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

WNY have you got a source for the lines and Prussik line?

Here are the dock lines, just choose the color and length you want. I use 3/8"

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Dock_Lines-Seachoice_Double_Braided_Nylon_Dock_Lines.html

Heres the prussik line I use. Its the Ice Tail 8mm, and I buy it by the foot. You need 2 feet or so to do each one.

http://www.wesspur.com/prusiks/heat-resistant-prusik-cords.html

• Like 1

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Dock_Lines-Seachoice_Double_Braided_Nylon_Dock_Lines.html

Heres the prussik line I use. Its the Ice Tail 8mm, and I buy it by the foot. You need 2 feet or so to do each one.

Thank you. The prussik on the tether that came with my HSS doesn't cinch, it's too stiff

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:15 PM, Steve D said:

I'm really not a dick. being an engineer I over think and analyze everything.  guy in the video doesn't have a tether from top section to bottom section.  I use climbers a lot.  probably 85+% of my hunting is from them.  a tether to the bottom section has saved me a couple times from being in a pickle where you lose the bottom section that falls or slides down the tree out of reach.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:45 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Thank you. The prussik on the tether that came with my HSS doesn't cinch, it's too stiff

some of mine didn't when I first put them together.  slip up and down almost too easy.  if you gave them a quick tug you could say the loops set better and worked great.

I agree...the video was posted to answer a question posted about how to use a lifeline with a climber. I don't know why one would use a short line either but is was meant to show how to use a life line with a climber. I guess length would be a personal choice but my personal one is long enough to reach the ground.

happened just the other day I had a mind puzzle the other day.  grabbed a new tree strap (rope style with prussic knot).  got to the stand location and discovered I was missing the carabiner.  I got it to work as I looped prussic knot end to my harness tether first and then I wrapped the loops of the knot over the knotted end of the tree strap one at a time to get the prussic rope onto the tree strap portion.  to me a little while to figure it out.

9 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I agree...the video was posted to answer a question posted about how to use a lifeline with a climber. I don't know why one would use a short line either but is was meant to show how to use a life line with a climber. I guess length would be a personal choice but my personal one is long enough to reach the ground.

I'm with ya.  I'd bet most people just climb with nothing and then tie in once at the top.  sometimes a longer tree strap or actual life line to the base of the tree gets hung up in the cable portion of the stand or in the teeth, wherever it makes contact with the tree.  I've figured out if you move it so it hangs off center a little it'd hang just off to the side in the triangle between the platform and the portion that grips the tree.   everyone truly does have their own steps to getting step up in the stand with their own equipment.

• 3 weeks later...

The shipping is killer. Between the two sites, shipping comes out to $25+ alone.

Best to buy in bulk, like 25 sets of these lol.

• Like 1