What will this buck score

nodeerhere

On 11/23/2016 at 7:10 AM, nodeerhere said:

Well we did throw a measuring tape on it last night. Got a score of 136. But I'm not sure of the deductions. I was just wondering if it would make the books or not. Thanks for all the replies. 

Don't worry about deductions its a 136" deer. Congrats.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nodeerhere said:

It scored typical. I'll post sheet tomorrow. The guy called me today and told me it grossed 143 and scored 126. Said it made pope and young. Like I said I'll post score sheet tomorrow 

I don't think he is 143 his main beams don't look longer than 20" and inside spread is about 17" but he has a nice amount of mass but short tines. I think you were very close with 136" gross.

Here is a 137" 9 point not as much mass as yours but 24" main beams and 18.5" wide

20130819_212144_zps852d96cf.jpg

20130819_212205_zps0a776dfc.jpg

Edited by chas0218

Just goes to show that no matter how good you think you are you can not tell how much a buck will score until a tape has been put on it. Pictures or even standing in front of you it is just a guess and a weak one at that. No different then ageing. Just because a deer looks to be old does not mean it is. I get a good laugh when guys try to guess age or score of a deer from a pic or say they saw a whatever class or age deer. Put it on the ground then you will know. Until nothing is certain or even close to certain. By the way nice buck.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nodeerhere said:

So after posting that and it grossing a 143 and nets around 126 I've been wondering. If I went on a hunt some where that and they had a min of a 130 class deer how would that work? 

You better carry some spare tines and Gorilla Glue in your pack.........

:)

• Like 3

So after posting that and it grossing a 143 and nets around 126 I've been wondering. If I went on a hunt some where that and they had a min of a 130 class deer how would that work? 

Ask before you go if it's gross or net, but typically I think they just want to make sure you shoot a mature buck so if you come up an inch or two short you won't pay the fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Ask before you go if it's gross or net, but typically I think they just want to make sure you shoot a mature buck so if you come up an inch or two short you won't pay the fine

I thought this too! How ever I never thought 143 could end up a 126. And to be honest I never had a 2nd thought about not shooting him. Never had a buck that big that close for a bow shot! 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2017 at 6:45 PM, nodeerhere said:

Score sheet

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow those main beams were longer than I thought. Either way nice buck! You don't see many bucks over 130" in NY and 100" on state land if you're lucky. Pretty unique rack most can only hope to shoot a mature deer like that. Congrats again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Why are you saying it's 126" net, that's typical. It scored 139" net non typical. Don't you take the higher of he nets?

Nontypical requires 145 to be entered in NYBBC.  Only 120 required for typical but, in any event, I assume the official scorer must determine if the buck is properly classified as typical or non typical.

Nontypical requires 145 to be entered in NYBBC.  Only 120 required for typical but, in any event, I assume the official scorer must determine if the buck is properly classified as typical or non typical.

Oh ok, make sense. I always thought could enter either way (if qualified)