Antler restrictions

nodeerhere

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:48 PM, BuckThornBooners said:

Why is it people never argue size limit for fish? young fish are usually protected under the length limit to alow them to mature and procreate.

For me it's because I can throw them back.  If I want fish to eat it comes in a box.

Not sure where you came up with that? I don't care about size limits with fish because I throw them back. If the Gorton's Fisherman keeps undersize fish I don't know what to do about that.

o gotcha, when my buddies and I boat a fish and keep it we generally "boxed another one" or "1 more in the box." Sorry fishing lingo had me confused.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, chas0218 said:

o gotcha, when my buddies and I boat a fish and keep it we generally "boxed another one" or "1 more in the box." Sorry fishing lingo had me confused.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No harm no foul, I literally meant it comes in a box!  I ain't screwing around cleaning fish, I want mine naturally breaded! :D

• 2 weeks later...

because i didn't run out of popcorn.....

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/another-possible-state-record-buck-taken-public-land-mississippi/

here's some public land with state mandated spread based antler restrictions that produced a B&C buck that could break the state record.  antler restrictions with exemptions for youth hunters to help maintain a balanced herd and improved age structure. check station for mandatory reporting of every deer for accountable realistic deer herd management. sounds like they're doing it right. more public land should be this way if states want a better experience hunting for hunters and to ensure the deer herd will be around and well in the future.  isn't bigger than a vast amounts of public land we have access to here in NY either.

• Like 1

In Mississippi you can also hunt deer one half hour before sunrise and after sunset, they can also kill 3 bucks a year .

Also it does not appear they have manditory reporting , just having " deer tags" is controversial there, it seems.

No tags no reporting of kills they rely on the " honor system ."

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/outdoors/outdoorsreport/2014/12/20/deer-harvest-tags-mississippi/20715797/

all that plus a long season oh and they can hunt using dogs yet somehow guys can still kill big bucks there .

Edited by Larry302

34 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

In Mississippi you can also hunt deer one half hour before sunrise and after sunset, they can also kill 3 bucks a year .

Also it does not appear they have manditory reporting , just having " deer tags" is controversial there, it seems.

No tags no reporting of kills they rely on the " honor system ."

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/outdoors/outdoorsreport/2014/12/20/deer-harvest-tags-mississippi/20715797/

all that plus a long season oh and they can hunt using dogs yet somehow guys can still kill big bucks there .

i know for a fact they don't have actual deer carcass tags there. however, in wildlife management areas (not what we call WMUs) like the one this buck was taken in there's mandatory reporting via a check station.  it's not always manned but all the tools needs to check the deer in are there for the hunters use to do it by themselves.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Buckstopshere said:

After reading how knowledgeable about scoring the hunters that tagged the buck are, they are not your average hunter. When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Lots of promo out there.

i don't care how skill a hunter is.  he or she can't kill a caliber of buck that's simply not there.  this buck was killed there in an area with antler restrictions and it's a potential state record that's knocking on the door of 200".  that is by far bigger than what one could expect anywhere in the country.  i haven't looked into it but logic would tell me it wasn't the only older buck there and all the others are young bucks.  it'd also be willing to bet that the general hunting population wouldn't think all the rest are "scrub" antlered bucks either.

• Like 1