Inland M1 carbine for Deer? .30 carbine ammo

Deerstalker

Anyone own one of these they are a new exact copy of the orginal  supposedly made in USA.

And if i can find a 5 round clip 

Maybe i would like to hunt with it one of these days what do you guys  think is the effective range  ethical range of the .30 carbine ammo 50 60 yards on deer something like that about or less or  farther?

Edited by Deerstalker

I have one, it is an inland, never took it hunting though. Its going to act a lot like a handgun. As far as ethics go if you do end up hunting with it I would keep it pretty close (under 50 yds) and of course use soft points. With standard ball ammo you would definitely wound and have a runner on your hands. Federal makes soft points and recommends that you only use for smaller game and coyotes. That being said, my great grandfather used to hunt deer with a .32-20 (a pop gun compared to the .30 carbine). It was a different time, his family lived on deer meat and they only had that gun. 

The big thing you would have to be sure of is shot placement. You have to hit vitals and hit them hard, the closer you are the harder it will hit. In my opinion I wouldn't do it unless I were really close, didn't have any other rifle and was pretty hungry however, lots of guys hunt with handguns. If you do end up using it go for high velocity soft points and become an absolute expert with that rifle. Treat it like a pistol that happens to have a stock on it.

5 hours ago, mre_90 said:

I have one, it is an inland, never took it hunting though. Its going to act a lot like a handgun. As far as ethics go if you do end up hunting with it I would keep it pretty close (under 50 yds) and of course use soft points. With standard ball ammo you would definitely wound and have a runner on your hands. Federal makes soft points and recommends that you only use for smaller game and coyotes. That being said, my great grandfather used to hunt deer with a .32-20 (a pop gun compared to the .30 carbine). It was a different time, his family lived on deer meat and they only had that gun. 

The big thing you would have to be sure of is shot placement. You have to hit vitals and hit them hard, the closer you are the harder it will hit. In my opinion I wouldn't do it unless I were really close, didn't have any other rifle and was pretty hungry however, lots of guys hunt with handguns. If you do end up using it go for high velocity soft points and become an absolute expert with that rifle. Treat it like a pistol that happens to have a stock on it.

Not a gun i really plan on using all the time for hunting but I know  alot of guys that hunt with hand guns and  lever actions with hand gun loads like 44 357  so i figure at close range why not .   What kind of groups can i expect from it ?

I think it  would Make  for light up close and person type hunting gun in brush .

But i just want one just to shoot really anyway  if i take it out hunting may just be  for yots or coons rabbits squirrels something like that . Will see 

Edited by Deerstalker
  • Like 1

If I were you I would find something that has a little more power the best you are going to be able to buy is an 110gr ball (FMJ) round. The 30 cal carbine was put in service for behind the line troops in WWII to be easier to shoot than the 45. It is vastly under powered for deer.

21 minutes ago, Larry said:

If I were you I would find something that has a little more power the best you are going to be able to buy is an 110gr ball (FMJ) round. The 30 cal carbine was put in service for behind the line troops in WWII to be easier to shoot than the 45. It is vastly under powered for deer.

I saw sp and hollow points for it as well dont know  if im going to take it  out for deer thinking about it .

Edited by Deerstalker

Not a gun i really plan on using all the time for hunting but I know  alot of guys that hunt with hand guns and  lever actions with hand gun loads like 44 357  so i figure at close range why not .   What kind of groups can i expect from it ?
I think it  would Make  for light up close and person type hunting gun in brush .
But i just want one just to shoot really anyway  if i take it out hunting may just be  for yots or coons rabbits squirrels something like that . Will see 

Most think 357 is on the lower end of the power spectrum for deer and a 30carbine isn't in the same league as a 180gn 357 let alone a 44mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Most think 357 is on the lower end of the power spectrum for deer and a 30carbine isn't in the same league as a 180gn 357 let alone a 44mag.

I looked it up about the same as  357 or a little  better but less then 44 mag 

http://m.hornady.com/store/30-M1-CARBINE-110-GR-FTX-CD/

http://www.ballistics101.com/357_magnum.php

47 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Another gun i would like to get is the ruger  mini 30 but  i here they are ammo picky 

Another gun i would like to get is the ruger  mini 30 but  i here they are ammo picky 

no pickier then any other gun... mine does group better with some ammo then others, but thats typical of any gun. ive had no failers to feed or fire.. As far as a hunter goes ive had 2 pile on the spot with it... all about shot placement. My favorite part of the mini is since i shoot left handed os the garand style safety.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A guy I hunted with for a while used an M-1 carbine all the time. It was the only gun he owned, and he always got a deer. I never saw him load anything but ball. He had to track a few, not far. There was never a deer he did not recover. He was a one shot kill hunter. He was also my platoon sergeant in the reserves. He taught me a lot about the woods, taught me a lot about hunting. 

• Like 3

I looked it up about the same as  357 or a little  better but less then 44 mag 
http://m.hornady.com/store/30-M1-CARBINE-110-GR-FTX-CD/
http://www.ballistics101.com/357_magnum.php

Paper numbers are just that, a 110gn bullet at 1900fps is not going to be a good deer killer. If I only had 1 gun and it was a 30carbine I would use ball ammo because it would have the best chance for an exit hole. The couple people that I know who hunted with one used ball ammo for that reason as well.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Paper numbers are just that, a 110gn bullet at 1900fps is not going to be a good deer killer. If I only had 1 gun and it was a 30carbine I would use ball ammo because it would have the best chance for an exit hole. The couple people that I know who hunted with one used ball ammo for that reason as well.

Thanks for the info 

Not true there are plenty of soft point bullets including hornady makes a critical defense round in 30 carbine! Not a great choice for deer but inside 70 yards will do the job

16 minutes ago, Larry said:

a 22 will kill a deer if the shot is put in the right spot

Im leaning to  getting  something a little bigger like the mini 30 . To hunt with once in a while 

Which lookes  a lot like the m1 carbine but with a little more power .and Still pretty light and compact.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Being a senior on here, I had a lot of training with the M1 carbine being a Veteran. Always shot expert with it while in the military.

As far as clips go, we always on guard duty used 15 round clips. The carbine is a really nice gun and should kill

a whitetail deer just fine. Just make sure your hitting the deer,s vital area,s. Very light to carry while hunting deer to.

11 hours ago, Daveboone said:

if I am remembering my NY hunting regulations correctly, the magazine would need to be modified to take a maximum of only 5 shots.

They make aftermarket 5 round mags for carbines.

They also make 5 round and 2 round en bloc clips for garands..I have 2 of the 5 round clips that I use when I carry my M1 deer hunting...  By CARRY, I mean  sling it for perhaps a couple hundred yards and then sit in a treestand or a ground blind.. I don't hunt with it if I am going to do a lot of walking ( 10+ pounds LOL).....

I have a custom M1 carbine with a full length Fajen Mannlicher stock on it.  For NY state you're limited to a 10 rd mag maximum and a 5 round for deer hunting.  I have a few of both.  Years ago I used it to hunt deer and took a few doe with it.  The longest shot I ever took was 50 yards, most were 25 yards or less.  I always used 110 grain soft points that I hand loaded to max velocity for the rifle.  It did the job just fine every time.  It's accurate enough to get a 4" group at 50 yards with the Williams peep sight and front ramp that was added when customized.

It's light and fast handling, but all the shots I took were at standing game.  No running shots at deer, as the shot has to be a heart or lung shot to be sure of a kill.

It's not a rifle that makes a general purpose deer rifle.  It's a specialized tool for close range deer shooting at stationary targets.  I think it first became popular for deer when guys assumed a semi-auto would be good for shots at running deer in thick cover.  When that proved incorrect, it lost favor fast.  It does have very light recoil and muzzle blast in it's favor though.

The Ruger Mini 30 is a good deer rifle with power about equal to a .30-30 that can use pointed bullets.  Ruger does warn against using any non-commercial ammo in it, especially steel cased stuff, for any reason.  It's also a lot heavier than your M1 carbine and many other deer rifles too.  I had one for a while but gave it to my son recently.  I never hunted with it much, as I found it too heavy for the mountains.

I will never part with the M1 Carbine though.

I have a custom M1 carbine with a full length Fajen Mannlicher stock on it.  For NY state you're limited to a 10 rd mag maximum and a 5 round for deer hunting.  I have a few of both.  Years ago I used it to hunt deer and took a few doe with it.  The longest shot I ever took was 50 yards, most were 25 yards or less.  I always used 110 grain soft points that I hand loaded to max velocity for the rifle.  It did the job just fine every time.  It's accurate enough to get a 4" group at 50 yards with the Williams peep sight and front ramp that was added when customized.
It's light and fast handling, but all the shots I took were at standing game.  No running shots at deer, as the shot has to be a heart or lung shot to be sure of a kill.
It's not a rifle that makes a general purpose deer rifle.  It's a specialized tool for close range deer shooting at stationary targets.  I think it first became popular for deer when guys assumed a semi-auto would be good for shots at running deer in thick cover.  When that proved incorrect, it lost favor fast.  It does have very light recoil and muzzle blast in it's favor though.
The Ruger Mini 30 is a good deer rifle with power about equal to a .30-30 that can use pointed bullets.  Ruger does warn against using any non-commercial ammo in it, especially steel cased stuff, for any reason.  It's also a lot heavier than your M1 carbine and many other deer rifles too.  I had one for a while but gave it to my son recently.  I never hunted with it much, as I found it too heavy for the mountains.
I will never part with the M1 Carbine though.

One piece of misinformation here. It is perfectly legal to have a 15 or even 30 round magazine in your carbine... not for hunting. But because of the Age of the fire arm it is not governed by the safe act

I don't know all of the details of the safe act, but that seems strange to me....30 carbines were were still being made in the 1950s for the military.   The AK 47  was developed in 1947...Not sure when they were first issued to troops...

• Like 1

According to the FFL I use, and the Delaware County Sheriff's office, any magazine over 10 rounds is illegal under the SAFE Act.  Kahr Arms is currently making an M1 Carbine that can accept large cap mags too.  If what you say is true chefhunter86, I'd like a link that proves it.