Refurbished Scopes?

phade

Anyone buy a refurbished scope? Buying a cheap (Savage Edge/Axis) deer rifle for occassional use range shooting and about 5-10 hunts a season.

They have kits that come with scopes from Bushnell/Tasco, but they're pretty cheapish. They'd probably do the job, but I had been looking at a Redfield scope from Natchez when I came across their refurbed Nikon ProStaffs for $100.

I'm curious to see if anyone has had a refurbed scope and how they've done with it.

Unless the Nikon comes with a Full Lifetime Warranty, I'd get the Redfield for the couple extra bucks it costs.  Redfield is made by Leupold in Oregon and has a Full Lifetime Warranty.

I have a couple of them and love them.  You can find them on Gunbroker.com for very good prices.  I'd look at the 2x7 scope with the 4 Plex reticle.  I see them on there for $125 quite often, but everything seems to be going up fast these days, so don't procrastinate.

When you think of refurbished , you might think it was something that was used for a while and returned , but that's not necessarily so . Often when items come off the assembly line and have scratches or other slight defects they are reworked and sold as "Refurbished" .

One more thing I might add is a refurbished scope is gone over by a human more than once.  They double check it before it goes out the door. 

I bought a refurbished Nikon range finder about 3 years ago from Natchez.  It has worked great and I got it for about half price.

I recently sighted in two inlines with Nikon blackpowder scopes, after the package (Cabelas) scopes failed to zero. I was very impressed with the Nikon quality. I purchases a new Redfield for my own inline, and the quality was not what i expected, it does not zero as closely as the Nikons did, the cross hairs are not as precise to sight with...overall, regardless of it being made by Leupold (and I own 4 other L scopes) the Redfield is going back for exchange on a Nikon (I  cant afford another Leupold right now). No matter the gun, you are allways well ahead buying the very best scope you can afford. I agree with the other assessments of the refurbished scopes: but they will never be any better than what the scope already is. Even if hunting only a few times a year (maybe even more so) you dont want a scope to ruin that rare day hunting by failing on you.