Have you started your seed search?

Nice, thick looking growth in those plots.  

I realized that I forgot about a third plot.  I'm thinking of planting Whitetail Institute in that plot, so I can compare it to the blends I try in the other two plots.  In my experience, their seed has performed better than stuff I bought at Agway or Deer Creek.  I'm not totally sold on the "Buck on the bag" seed, but it's outperformed other seed twice.  

The best deal on small burnett I could find was at a company called Maxi-Rack LLC out of Wisconsin.  $7/lb and $6.50 to ship up to 5lbs.  Not terrible.  I bet there's a better deal out there somewhere, but that's what I've found so far.  

One plot in WI Fusion, one in clovers, small burnett, and chicory, and the last plot in clover and...?  Then a soybean plot, and a small strip of mixed brassicas, and that should do it.  

• Like 1

Nice, thick looking growth in those plots.  
I realized that I forgot about a third plot.  I'm thinking of planting Whitetail Institute in that plot, so I can compare it to the blends I try in the other two plots.  In my experience, their seed has performed better than stuff I bought at Agway or Deer Creek.  I'm not totally sold on the "Buck on the bag" seed, but it's outperformed other seed twice.  
The best deal on small burnett I could find was at a company called Maxi-Rack LLC out of Wisconsin.  $7/lb and $6.50 to ship up to 5lbs.  Not terrible.  I bet there's a better deal out there somewhere, but that's what I've found so far.  
One plot in WI Fusion, one in clovers, small burnett, and chicory, and the last plot in clover and...?  Then a soybean plot, and a small strip of mixed brassicas, and that should do it.  

I tried the WI Fusion last year and some Deer Creek stuff. Both companies grew very well considering the conditions. The Fusion came in a little thinner than the deer creek clover but each plot was hammered by the deer. Hard to say if they preferred either or.

Does anyone know who makes the Cabelas brand food plot seeds? They have a decent price on a 50LB bag of clover that I thought about using some gift cards on. Was wondering if anyone has used their stuff as well.

Grow,  Any tips on overseeding turnips into clover plots?  I like the idea of variety, and using free nitrogen.  Do you rake or prep in any way, or do you just broadcast seed?  I have a good amount of leftover brassica seed (purple top, daikon, rapeseed) and that would put them to use.  I assume the timing would be similar to a regular planting.  

I've been scouring the 'net for seed deals, but haven't come up with anything great.  Does Whitetail Institute ever put their seed on sale?  This year will be a big expansion for me.  I'm going with perennials, so I won't have to do it all again next year.  I have to tell you, my free soybeans are looking pretty good to me right now!

Grow,  Any tips on overseeding turnips into clover plots?  I like the idea of variety, and using free nitrogen.  Do you rake or prep in any way, or do you just broadcast seed?  I have a good amount of leftover brassica seed (purple top, daikon, rapeseed) and that would put them to use.  I assume the timing would be similar to a regular planting.  
I've been scouring the 'net for seed deals, but haven't come up with anything great.  Does Whitetail Institute ever put their seed on sale?  This year will be a big expansion for me.  I'm going with perennials, so I won't have to do it all again next year.  I have to tell you, my free soybeans are looking pretty good to me right now!

More sales and deals will come around the closer we get towards spring. Whitetail institute sends me emails at least once a month usually with deals on certain seed mixes. I screwed up and should of bought some the last time I got a email because it was a pretty good deal. Usually it's like a buy 2 get one free or buy 2 at a lower price type sale. I'm probably going to pick up some more Fusion and overseed my last years Fusion plot a little plus expand it.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

More sales and deals will come around the closer we get towards spring. Whitetail institute sends me emails at least once a month usually with deals on certain seed mixes. I screwed up and should of bought some the last time I got a email because it was a pretty good deal. Usually it's like a buy 2 get one free or buy 2 at a lower price type sale. I'm probably going to pick up some more Fusion and overseed my last years Fusion plot a little plus expand it.

Thanks Adk.  I created an account with Whitetail Institute a while back, but I have never gotten an email from them.  Maybe I need to buy something first.  I could go for a deal from them.  There stuff isn't cheap, but I think the quality is good.  They recommend Fusion for a small plot.  Are you overseeding because it's thin?  It was a tough last year, it being so dry.  I've dabbled with plots in the past with varying success, but this year I'm all in!  Two brand new plots, and two expansions.  

Thanks for the info.  

Thanks Adk.  I created an account with Whitetail Institute a while back, but I have never gotten an email from them.  Maybe I need to buy something first.  I could go for a deal from them.  There stuff isn't cheap, but I think the quality is good.  They recommend Fusion for a small plot.  Are you overseeding because it's thin?  It was a tough last year, it being so dry.  I've dabbled with plots in the past with varying success, but this year I'm all in!  Two brand new plots, and two expansions.  
Thanks for the info.  

I agree WI stuff is pricy. But at the same time, its the only "buck on a bag" type seed I think is actually up to par with what they advertise. WI has been around a long time and I think they are somewhat of a leader among the food plot seed companies. They seem to have a lot of R&D behind their products so I seem to trust what they offer.

Not sure if you have to buy something or not to get their monthly newsletters and deals. Maybe that's how I got on the email list was when I ordered a bag of Fusion and soil sample test kit last year. when I get another email I will post it on this thread so anyone can get the deal if they want.

I'm planning on overseeding a bit due to the plot being a touch on the thin side. Last summers drought was hard on my plots and it was the first year for the Fusion so it kinda got a rough start. The plot was quite thick but after some heavy grazing and continued dry conditions it thinned out a little more than I'd like to see. I probably don't even have to overseed it and it will most likely thicken up on its own again this year but a few quick passes with the spreader won't do any harm.
  • Like 2

On 1/15/2017 at 10:37 PM, Adkhunter1590 said:

I agree WI stuff is pricy. But at the same time, its the only "buck on a bag" type seed I think is actually up to par with what they advertise. WI has been around a long time and I think they are somewhat of a leader among the food plot seed companies. They seem to have a lot of R&D behind their products so I seem to trust what they offer.

Not sure if you have to buy something or not to get their monthly newsletters and deals. Maybe that's how I got on the email list was when I ordered a bag of Fusion and soil sample test kit last year. when I get another email I will post it on this thread so anyone can get the deal if they want.

I'm planning on overseeding a bit due to the plot being a touch on the thin side. Last summers drought was hard on my plots and it was the first year for the Fusion so it kinda got a rough start. The plot was quite thick but after some heavy grazing and continued dry conditions it thinned out a little more than I'd like to see. I probably don't even have to overseed it and it will most likely thicken up on its own again this year but a few quick passes with the spreader won't do any harm.

I used to plant strictly WI products, and those only and never had bud luck with them, as they always did what they were supposed to. But after planting new blends this year i will no longer buy them. They are nice and "convenient" but I got better stands, and quality plants this year planting DeerAg. Not trying to push anything, but we were in a drought most all summer, and with very minimal rain fall. I got a better stand of brassicas this year than i ever did with WI with perfect growing conditions. It could be from the nitrogen in the ground from 2 consecutive years of soybeans and the organic matter left over from over seeding brassicas once. but They grew phenomenal with very little rain. I never broke ground for this plot either, glyphosate, spread seed and wait for rain, 2 other plots i did the same except i rolled in the seed. results were great. 

My neighbor planted all WI products this year and im not sure about his plots but my plots are getting annihilated and a ton of it is daytime activity.  More than in years pass, i will say that. 

But i am trying to build as much organic matter into the soil bc i dont have the extra money to fertilize all of my plots. The kids like to consume my paychecks lol

IMG_0029.JPG

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 2

Trying different seeds is part of the fun.  Like Let Em Grow, I have had decent success with Whitetail Institute products.  They do use seed coating / filler, which means you get less seed.  But the stuff grows.

I plan to plant WI Fusion (the name for their new clover and chicory mix) and compare it to a mix that I made myself from seed I bought from "the Dirty Gardener".  They are a seed company that sells online, including on Amazon.  They have a few varieties of clover at decent prices.  I ordered coated, inoculated clovers for about $5/lb including shipping.  They also had a good price on chicory.  They have many of the common brassicas as well.  

Thanks for mentioning frosting seeding a "hay field".  I have a long, skinny field at the family farm that might benefit from a little more clover.  

Glad to hear DeerAg is working for you.  I will keep it in mind for the future.  

• Like 3

Here are 2 places I have purchased from. Links below:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/farm-seed/

http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/deer-food-plots/

I've had great luck with a product from outside pride called Northern Sweet Spot

http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/deer-food-plots/sweet-spot-northern-mix.html

Edited by nybuckboy

Hahaha...2 of those sweet spot pics are of my plots the long green trail plot and the grassier looking curved one on the bottom..I sent those into them with a thank you several years ago...

I have to clarify something...those pictures were of their Beef bank seed with my own additions of chicory...this is why...look at the prices and what is in their pasture seed mix...then what is in their sweet spot..and compare pricing....to pounds..I loved the seeds and the draw but look closely for the true savings...page 6 in the link

http://welterseed.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Retail-Price-List-2017.pdf

Edited by growalot

Here is another thing for those of you that like soybeans...I do not use RR so this isn't an issue...I planted iron clay peas instead of soybeans last year..I mixed them with Sunn Hemp ..picture below. anyway Hancock has them on sale..now the 50# is cheap but no free shipping...for me shipping would cost 40.00. This  brings cost to 69.99. So if I order 2 25 # bags at 32.99 each the cost for 50# is 65.98...and no shipping cost...and not taxes as I recall. they did very well recovering from grazing and the deer hit them hard right to frost...they will not produce seed here unless you plant very early after last frost date.

https://hancockseed.com/iron-clay-cow-peas-25-lb-bag-699.html

IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_1934.JPG

Edited by growalot

They will not ship seed to my county and I would have to pay the retail markup. Prices are a tad high...50#'s of cow peas 198.80! Alfalfa high...Aslike 240.00 compared with 159.00 from Welter a 50# bag that's before shipping and Welter will cover part of shipping costs,discounts on seed through Febuary and 15% off Alfalfas 1/2 the cost of shipping. Plus I think is tax free.

Edited by growalot

Yes often, and they have been great to work with...when the post office had the flat rate boxes...you wouldn't believe how much seed they would stuff into a box for me...before the price hikes I had 25 # 's shipped for less than 7.00..I always call in orders.. I really like their clover options....and the descriptions are great They are usually where I buy my trictical from. Also until recently where I got my brassicas as well, good variety there....though there are certain add on costs to work around when ordering   get there catalog to look through it..Ask when you call if they have any deals to be had...but have a list ready when you call them with questions.

Edited by growalot