DIY Euro plaque ideas

Zem18

I seem to have become obsessed with working on Euro mounts as it extends my season so to speak. I finished the skulls on my buddies 8/9pt from gun this year, my 7pt from gun this year, and my 7/8pt from bow last year. I wanted something different for the background plaques again this year so I tried a few things. Let me know which ones you like or don't like. My buddies 8/9 has been delivered to him already so no changing it. That is the first pic.

The next ones are my bow and gun deer on different plaques facing different directions wood grain wise. I still need to sand, stain, poly and such but looking for opinions. I know it's what I like but curious to what others think. 

Sorry my finger is in the way in a few pics but you get the idea. The antlers are top heavy and they fall backwards but once hanging it is all good.

IMG_20170102_133252688.jpg

IMG_20170102_133158327.jpg

IMG_20170110_192817603.jpg

IMG_20170110_192323751.jpg

1484095726617-94424781.jpg

14840958648341307393615.jpg

• Like 8

Hint: Thats my favorite too. Saw the idea on Pinterest but only a picture, no measurements or anything. Got some pallet boards from work and laid it out and started cutting. Measured several times and it came out great I think. Thanks for your opinion Wooly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, Has anyone ever purchased a "fake" skull and attached shed antlers to them? I am looking to make a European skull mount with a recent set of sheds I found. If so, is it a pain to get them accurate to the way they grew out of the skull, and how"d it turn out? 

JC 

Thanks

43 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Awesome, Has anyone ever purchased a "fake" skull and attached shed antlers to them? I am looking to make a European skull mount with a recent set of sheds I found. If so, is it a pain to get them accurate to the way they grew out of the skull, and how"d it turn out? 

JC 

Thanks

I never used one but I'd be curious how real it looked. You could use one of those cap mounts kits with the felt or if can find a real skull. 

Edited by rachunter
Spelling
  • Like 1

They don't look too bad from what I can tell. I just don't want to waste the money if they're junk. Or if there is good and bad brands out there. Looks pretty simple. Drill a hole in the center of each beam and lag together. 2 different size skull "tops" for size of antlers. Just curious i guess. Wouldn't be the worst 30 $ I've ever spent lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I like the last one followed by the one above it .

I do a lot of plaques like the double on the wall , those two are from many years ago. The round piece of wood I was hoping to hang a euro on but many here shot it down , so I simply bought an arrow shaped hook .

image.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

JC 

Thanks

Sadly I have purchased one of these and it is plastic but easy to assemble. It doesn't look natural but it isn't horrible and a much cleaner process.  I also measured the inside spread before cutting the antlers off the deer so when I got them on the plastic skull, I was able to keep the actual spread and not "fudge" it. I'll take a picture later so you can see how it looks. The mounting bracket is the best thing about those kits.

• Like 1

I'm going to give it a shot I think. Worse case I just take it a part and use it for a different set of antlers. Maybe put some sort of paint or stain for color/texture. Plus something new to learn lol. I've got trail cam pics so I can get it close to actual appearance

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I'm going to give it a shot I think. Worse case I just take it a part and use it for a different set of antlers. Maybe put some sort of paint or stain for color/texture. Plus something new to learn lol. I've got trail cam pics so I can get it close to actual appearance

I bought the one with Ralph and Vicki Ciancarillo (SP?) on the package. I had to order it as no one sold these locally and that was back in 2012. Ill still post up a picture later tonight when I get home. Ill scan my phone on lunch to see if I have a pic there too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

JC 

Thanks

Yes, I got a Mountain Mike's on sale for like $25 last year from Gander Mtn.  They were so cheap I bought whatever was left.   The small size is the way to go for NY deer, but mediums fit as well.  It was very easy, and you can adjust and rotate to get them to look right.  They are excellent, pretty accurate reproductions.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Looks decent. How durable is the plastic? It doesn't flex too much does it?

Its durable and does not flex much at all. As vcollaco said above, it is easy and yes you will need the XL for those sheds you have. Once you have them tapped with the screws, it is easy to move them in and out to achieve the "spread" length.

• Like 1