What to do with 3 acre field with house in middle?

Core

Bite the bullet and build a pole barn to keep your "new" rider mower or zero-turn in. With any house it is going to be "pay me now or pay me later" Might as well start off on the right foot. With your spare time you can look for a better job for the wifekolobok_happy.gif

And make it long enough to shoot bows! That's the best money I have ever spent! 24 yard range under cover doesn't get any better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that situation, I would just stick to your original plan of keeping a small yard that you can manage with your push mower.  You and the wife and kids might get lazy and fat with a rider.  The push mower will give you a decent workout over the summer and keep you in shape for hunting season.   Letting the rest go wild won't cost you anything and will provide good cover for deer starting this fall.   They love bedding in goldenrod, which usually takes over on old fields if left abandoned.   By next fall, some brush will start to take hold.  In less than 5 years, you will have some prime fawning cover.   As long as you have permission from the owners of other buildings within 500 ft, you could use your house as a big, climate controlled ground blind during gun season.  I would keep about 30 feet mowed on each side of the driveway, about 1/4 acre around the house and let nature take it's course everywhere else.    

Having raised kids...they like to run roll play in the yard...so to me a big space is important...As time goes by there are family functions( pavilion now fun later:wink: ). But an acre of this,pic below, could prove to be a very relaxing site off the back deck or kitchen window. I took these off my porch deck.

think if it were me I would plant it to timothy grass or pasture mix. You're looking at about 1000lbs. of grass seed for fescue, Kentucky bluegrass mix for that 3 acres as new yard.

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

On 2/5/2017 at 1:04 PM, growalot said:

Having raised kids...they like to run roll play in the yard...so to me a big space is important...As time goes by there are family functions( pavilion now fun later:wink: ). But an acre of this,pic below, could prove to be a very relaxing site off the back deck or kitchen window. I took these off my porch deck.

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

See go for the Timothy grass. You could even have the local farmer hay it if you wanted. Have him leave a few round bales to shoot at or use as a back drop. Either way much cheaper. When the Timothy gets tall like you see above it will seed out and keep re-seeding itself. I forgot to add it will generally keep down the crap golden rod and the deer like Timothy in the spring when it is young.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2017 at 9:42 AM, Steve D said:

Bite the bullet and build a pole barn to keep your "new" rider mower or zero-turn in. With any house it is going to be "pay me now or pay me later" Might as well start off on the right foot. With your spare time you can look for a better job for the wife^_^

Budget on the entire thing is absolutely bursting at the seams as it is! We came very, very close to throwing in the towel earlier in the week and signing off on a house in a sub division (cheap, close, price set in stone). But, thankfully a couple of people reminded us that we've been whining about having neighbors from the get-go.

Going to talk to the bank again tomorrow and getting close to taking the plunge. The land owner is asking an absolute mint for the land, unfortunately, and absent any other options I may have no choice. It is at least a nice parcel. And in a strangely unique and positive spot in the town for some of their various bylaws that wouldn't apply to me.

Why put house in middle of lot? Why not plant trees.. My neighbor was going to put his house out. in the middle untill I explained he made his property useless that way as any shots would be taken toward house.. Plant a privacy screen . keep trees back from house 60 ft or so and plant.. Many species are very fast growers.. Put a small clover field in and watch game eat.. Lawns... Waste of space and nutrition for wildlife...