salt water fishing license

papabear

I bin told by more then one DEC officer that there not going to be enforcing the salt water fishing license. today I was told by 4 officers that i should get one that other law enforcement offerers will be checking for them. if your going to fish salt water spend the $10 and get yours I picked mine up today .

papabear

Not really sure, I just know that eventually all the townships fighting it will lose, and we are one of the few states that doesn't already have a saltwater license...it's money that the state needs, they aren't going to give up, so I just ponied up while it was cost effective...

Although I am opposed to the saltwater license, and saltwater fish in areas, where at least for now, I don't need one. I do spend some time surf casting in areas where it is required, and since I comply with the laws, I purchased one again this year.

I have many reasons for my opposition to the law, but I won't bore anyone here with my views....Besides complaining won't change it anyway

I got the lifetime as well.. From what I understand, there is a federal requirement that states must have a SW Lisc program in place by a deadline, either 2012-13, in order to get federal funds for marine/fishing stuff. NYS jumped on early tax collection or sales, depending on your point of view, to stuff its own pockets before the fed puts its hands out.. Once the fed wants a cut, i'm sure the 10 will be increased.

• 4 weeks later...

Its on the DEC site.you might like to post it.

Recreational Marine Fishing License Suspended for Two Year  New Recreational to Take its Place

Please note that due to recently enacted legislation, a recreational marine fishing license is no longer needed in New York. The license will be replaced with a free registry. See note below.

Note: Pursuant to legislation signed by Governor Cuomo on March 31, a recreational marine fishing license is no longer required to fish in the marine district of New York, including fishing for migratory fish from the sea (e.g. striped bass) on the Hudson River below the Troy Dam.

Therefore, a recreational marine fishing license is no longer required and anglers should not purchase one.

The new law establishes a no-fee registry to take the place of the marine license. DEC is currently developing the registry, and expects to have the new no-fee registry in place in early June. In the interim, saltwater anglers may fish without a marine license and without registering with DEC.

The new law also directs DEC to refund the cost of a lifetime recreational marine fishing license to those who bought them. Refunds for lifetime licenses are expected to be sent out during this calendar year. There are no provisions in the newly enacted legislation to refund other marine license fees.

Additional information regarding the registry will be coming shortly.

I bought my yearly saltwater license in Jan., or Feb. 2011. I contacted the DEC about getting a  $10 refund and was advised that there is no provision for refund of yearly licenses...I'm not happy, especially because I was against the license from the beginning.

So I gotta eat the $10 fee.... Such is Life.... glad it wasn't more.. .. I hope they use the money well...

I bought my yearly saltwater license in Jan., or Feb. 2011. I contacted the DEC about getting a  $10 refund and was advised that there is no provision for refund of yearly licenses...I'm not happy, especially because I was against the license from the beginning.

So I gotta eat the $10 fee.... Such is Life.... glad it wasn't more.. .. I hope they use the money well...

Bet your glad you didnt buy the lifetime

Jr. deerslayer....yeah, I figured I was too old....but  they're gettin' a refund...I'm glad they're gettin' their money back because that's a bit of money to lose...I can't figure why there was no provision for those of us who bought this years license, but.... it is what it is ..  I'm glad it wasn't more then $10...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Get on the registry by going to a lisc. retailer, like Dick's.

Friend in Northport had a young DEC Officer bust his chops for not having the registry card, threatened a ticket. Friend said 'Go ahead, but your gonna be writing for EVERYONE on the bridge, not just me.. Cause if you don't, I'll be pressing harassment/discrimination charges.' Guy looked dumbfounded, and told him to go register asap & left..