Lights! How do you walk into the woods in pitch darkness?

TheHunter

Yes we have a real problem with yotes here...several years ago I use to keep my hunting clothes in the goat barn for scent purposes....I walked past the goats and headed down a wide lane way to my stand...I heard crunching behind me and saw what looked to be the size of my female shepherd...10 or so yrds out it turned and went into the slashings...coming up along side of me...more crunching in the snow behind me...there was another....Turned to see the first cross a few yards in front of me as the second went into slashings...I was so scared I almost for got I had my gun in my hand...When my brain returned I shook the action and All went silent for a moment..... then I heard them moving up hill from me and ran for my stand...sat there listening to them yelp back and forth ...the 2 behind me and 3 on the ridge infront of me

I got down at day light to see rather lrg tracks...call the DEC and explained what happened and asked when did they start attacking ppl!?

He told me they hunt in packs 2-4 usually and that before attacking they circle their prey...I was "Breakfast"

They had killed 2 of or goats....DEC had estimated that those were between 65 and 85 #'s ...then the went after our neighbors sheep up the hill and turkey and chickens down the hill.

My hunting clothes smelled of goat...thus the "breakfast" comment...needless to say I don't do that anymore...we lose a lot of kids(goat) to yotes

Listen...lets put this to bed now...One.... As you can see from posts and pics I luv to hunt...and anything about hunting ...

I have had and continue with a few of the neighbors... some pretty nasty problems with a few pretty nasty "hunters"...that terms used lightly....if there is a subject that I have an opinion on I like many others base my opinions in part on our experience...

I don't micro manage others opinions ...but if you choose to mine fine than I'll answer honestly

In my area I would feel threatened walking on my land in the dark ...knowing that some of the "Yahoos" that wildly shoot at running deer ...wound and gut shoot deer in gun season ....I've had to put many down... wouldn't hesitate to sneak in during dark hours to get a shot at a buck  using a cross bow...I never said any of them had 2 brain cells to rub together

Any  questions? ::)

Listen...lets put this to bed now...One.... As you can see from posts and pics I luv to hunt...and anything about hunting ...

I have had and continue with a few of the neighbors... some pretty nasty problems with a few pretty nasty "hunters"...that terms used lightly....if there is a subject that I have an opinion on I like many others base my opinions in part on our experience...

I don't micro manage others opinions ...but if you choose to mine fine than I'll answer honestly

In my area I would feel threatened walking on my land in the dark ...knowing that some of the "Yahoos" that wildly shoot at running deer ...wound and gut shoot deer in gun season ....I've had to put many down... wouldn't hesitate to sneak in during dark hours to get a shot at a buck  using a cross bow...I never said any of them had 2 brain cells to rub together

Any  questions? ::)

Im not trying to micro manage your opinion, I just seem to be making a connection that you will take any problem situation and try to attribute it to crossbows in one way or another, trying to make them out to be some evil weapon used by criminals. Well, guess what, it sounds to me like the idiots you are supposedly dealing with are going to cary out illegal activities with or without a crossbow, and if they wanted to do anything with a crossbow now, they are fully capable, since you can buy and own one in NY. Sounds to me like you need to be in more contact with your local DEC and law enforcement to try and deal with your neighbors in a legal manner. Nope, no questions.  ;)

When hunting State land on opening day,I try to make it a point of being the first hunter in the woods to reach his/her stand location. I wear a small LED attached to my cap to help guide my way and for safety's sake. After settling in to my location, I enjoy the light show.

Oftentimes I hang a red glow stick on a limb to alert other hunters of my location!

If I am late getting to my hunting area, I wait for first light before walking to my stand (have multiple locations) avoiding areas where I know other hunters may be posted.

There probably is a particular time of day when it is more dangerous to be walking into your stand. That time of first light when all you can make out is shadows and movement is probably the best time to be sporting the brightest light you can get .... Ha-ha. That has to be the time when these guys that like to jump the gun are most likely to try to blow your head off thinking (hoping) that you are a deer.

You're right, the best thing to do is get on stand early in the dark, or wait until there is plenty of light. That in-between time is pretty darn hazardous.

Doc

Opening day of gun season is akin to golfing on fathers day. There are so many guys out there who are unprepared,unskilled,irresponsible etc. However,it is their right to hunt and I hope they enjoy themselves,hunt safe and are successful in their endeavor. I just wish that some of them would yell fore before taking a bad shot.