First nice survivor showed up

Steuben Jerry

I've pulled cards a couple of times since mid December, and have had an assortment of spikes and forkhorns appearing on camera since then, but no racks "of note".

This card pull had this guy on it, and I was glad to see him after a whole bunch of good bucks got taken down around me this year. He just needs another year or two.

Survivor.jpg

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, crappyice said:

You think that's just matted hair or a poorly placed shot through the "no mans land?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks to me like he was just grooming himself.  hide would be opened up more from say a broadhead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

good deal.  promising knowing there's something out there still calling your place home.

I'd like to think so! But I'm running 7 cameras and leave them out all year. I had this deer in front of me during last bow season, but this is the first time I've had him on camera since then. 

I'm pretty sure this is him from last Fall.

IMG_1415.JPG

Edited by Steuben Jerry

4 hours ago, crappyice said:

You think that's just matted hair or a poorly placed shot through the "no mans land?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If so, the other deer must have been shot in the ass because he bears a similar "look".  

Chicago deer??

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I'd like to think so! But I'm running 7 cameras and leave them out all year. I had this deer in front of me during last bow season, but this is the first time I've had him on camera since then. 

I'm pretty sure this is him from last Fall.

IMG_1415.JPG

it's a trade off with risk involved when you pass deer that others might shoot.  we've got trail camera photos of bucks progressing through age classes.  last year i actually passed bucks as big as i've ever shot.  there was enough of them running around though i knew some would make it.  some of them did die but others i believe will be walking next year.  it's awesome to see and have history with.  encounters provide another form of anticipation and success outside putting a tag on the deer.  trail cam photos were being sent back and forth between properties this past year out this way.  hope you get some more.  it's not a good situation banking on a single deer.