Custom rifles..........................

Anybody on here do any custom work to their own guns or have a gunsmith customize them for them? Let see some pics if so....................

Here is my Ruger M77; 7mm Rem Mag I built a custom stock for it. The action is alum. pillar blocked, full floating barrel and a mercury recoil surpressor installed in the stock to help tame the punch a little.

7mm-1.jpg

7mm5-1.jpg

7mm3.jpg

7mm4-1.jpg

7mm2.jpg

I bought a 4 color laminated blank, shaped and fitted it to my likings, set the action and barrel, added rosewood nose piece and grip butt plates w/white ash wafers. The finish is 8 coats of boiled Tung oil, then 6 layers of bowling alley wax and buffed.

The gun always shot good, but it shoots great now with the custom stock (and modifications) and the custom handloads I worked up for it. It is one deadly rifle.

FDXX75

Nice job, it looks great.  What is a mercury recoil supressor??  Your recoil pad looks pretty thin.

A recoil surpressor is different than the rubber recoil pad you see externally on the gun. The surpressor is an enclosed cylinder @ 6" long and 3/4" in diameter that is installed in a drilled out cavity in the end of the butt stock. The inside of the cylinder acts like a shock absorber to reduce recoil on magnum rifles or any gun that has a stout recoil. They are made with a fluid(oil or mercury in this case) which passes through a series of orificed disks to obsorb the shock and deaden the recoil before reaching the shooters shoulder.

It aids in lessening the punishment the shooter might receive over a period of time at the range, quicker and better follow up shots, and help prevent shooter flinch that can occur with shoots from heavy recoil rifles.

They are available in diff. sizes and brands, pending on the need of the shooter. They make a huge difference if you spend any amount of time at the range shooting. Many professional shotgunners have them in there guns as well.

FDXX75

Nice-Lookin' rig FullDraw!  I've been lookin' at Stocky's website for a few months now and have seriously thought about customizing my 700. 

You must have purchased an unfinished blank vs one already finished and then oiled/waxed it after modifying it... correct?  That's a great idea - I'm gonna' have to run some stuff by my Amish woodworking buddy and the gunsmith I know.  Thanks!

She's a beauty!!!

Oh, OK.  I have seen things like that, although I think I have seen them mostly in skeet or trap shotguns.  I guess whatever does the trick for you is good.  I have seen some really good rubber recoil pads that work great too, although they are thicker than what you have, but could see them as being easier to install.

Nice-Lookin' rig FullDraw!  I've been lookin' at Stocky's website for a few months now and have seriously thought about customizing my 700. 

You must have purchased an unfinished blank vs one already finished and then oiled/waxed it after modifying it... correct?  That's a great idea - I'm gonna' have to run some stuff by my Amish woodworking buddy and the gunsmith I know.  Thanks!

She's a beauty!!!

Correct, I bought the blank(long chunk of laminated wood, rough shaped like your typical blanks) It is a lengthy process and takes a ton of patients, but when I was done...................the time spent has been well worth every minute.  Actually the blank was not all that expensive in my eyes. But there are a lot of really nice stocks available out on the market these days. I love the thumbhole, I have three rifles with them and my accuracy improved greatly with everyone of them.

FDXX75

Oh, OK.  I have seen things like that, although I think I have seen them mostly in skeet or trap shotguns.  I guess whatever does the trick for you is good.  I have seen some really good rubber recoil pads that work great too, although they are thicker than what you have, but could see them as being easier to install.

Night and day difference between the two.........................and the thicker the recoil pad the longer your length of pull becomes, then you start cutting down the stock to compansate for that. Plus, if you shoot a lot, recoil pad will eventually break down and need replacing, not so with a surpressor.

I have one in my old Beligan Browning A-5, That thing kicks like an angry mule. (Built before the gas recoil assisted autos) I love that gun, but it was brutal on the shoulder. It is tolerable now.

FDXX75

just staring too now refinishing my h&r 20 ga the factory bluing sucked so am going with dura coat will have to get some pics up also plan on refinishing the stock on my sportsman 48 50 plus years of field use have put a hurting on it so will be striping sanding and rerubbing a nice oil finish

This is my 223 AI. 

Left hand Remington action, McMillan Edge stock, 21"  Krieger 1-12" twist #3 contour barrel, Talley mounts, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40. 

Sid Goodling did the chambering, fitting and bedding of the gun.  It's a shooter.......

223ai002.jpg

223ai004.jpg

223ai003.jpg

Mine came as a rough cut blank, no nose or grip caps, and solid. I looked at that exact stock but they did not offer it for the action and barrel contour of my gun. I did use the style as a pattern for mine. I had help from a friend (who is a local gunsmith) when cutting in the barrel and action area.

I did this stock 16 yrs ago, I started it in mid Feb. and finished it just before the start of the Northern rifle season opener.

FDXX75

I helped work on a stock at the my buddies gun shop, similar situation. We had to modify the stock only slightly to make the fit. Correct me if I am wrong but the stock you bought is for the side safety and yours has the tang safety.

We had to remove some stock material in the tang area for the safety to work properly and we inserted a piece of the lamimate into the area where the side safety "gap" was. There was some modification needed at the bolt handle notch and in the magazine box area as well.

It is do able, just time consuming work.

FDXX75

I have no way of knowing your woodworking skill level, it is very patient/teedious work. It is not something you just go to town on with a router/Dremel tool or hammer and chisel.

I grew up working for my grandfather in a cabinet shop, so patients and care are not an issue for me. I did incorporate the help of my friend who owns a gunsmithing shop, he had down this numerous times and I felt the experience and guidance from him was a huge plus. Once the fitting of the action/barrel & magizine box was finalized, I pretty much did all the remaining shaping and finish work myself. I actually went back to the thumbhole area three times to adjust the grip so it was just right, then never thought about wearing a glove.........................back again to open up the hole a little more and shave down the palm area a bit as well.

If you are the slightest bit unsure, I would incorporate the help of a good reputable gunsmith. No sense in messing up a good stock.

FDXX75