Adirondacks Snow This Winter

Coachdad

After a slow start, the Adirondacks has been getting hammered with snow during the past 4 weeks or so.

I was at my cabin last weekend and had about 3 feet on the ground before the additional 16 inches came on Sunday.  Another 3-5 inches is expected today.

So much for the deer having an easy winter. The only saving grace is that the temperatures haven't hit their typical -20 degrees for a week straight. Let's hope the temps stay moderate.

We are heading up to our in-laws place in the NW Adirondacks this weekend for some ice-fishing.  My father in law drilled a hole today and said there was about 12" of solid ice on the lake, under a couple feet of snow.   That sounds good to me, plenty to support us and even his snowmobile if we need to venture out a bit.  I am thankful that there will not be the 3-4 feet of solid ice that they usually get by this time.  It should not take much effort to drill plenty of holes with my manual auger.  This weekend's forecast of sunshine and daytime highs in the lower 40's sounds good compared to the cold, wind, clouds and snow that we have often seen in past years.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at my camp this week; about 3 foot on the ground with slush near the ground level. It appeared that the Adirondacks had rain in between all the snow where I am. This week it was in the low 50's and there is now a frozen crust on top of slush.

Lots of deer tracks along the Sacandaga River and Rt. 8 where the deer have been herded up for a while now. Not a single track of any kind near my camp in the deeper snow. It feels like spring but I am sure winter will be back before this is all done..

52 minutes ago, Salmon_Run said:

I was at my camp this week; about 3 foot on the ground with slush near the ground level. It appeared that the Adirondacks had rain in between all the snow where I am. This week it was in the low 50's and there is now a frozen crust on top of slush.

Lots of deer tracks along the Sacandaga River and Rt. 8 where the deer have been herded up for a while now. Not a single track of any kind near my camp in the deeper snow. It feels like spring but I am sure winter will be back before this is all done..

Are you near Carogo lake? I'm heading up to my house this weekend just wondering what to expect. There was a flood alert on my phone this morning. 

On 2/24/2017 at 9:33 AM, rachunter said:

Are you near Carogo lake? I'm heading up to my house this weekend just wondering what to expect. There was a flood alert on my phone this morning. 

I am in Hamilton County about halfway between Speculator and Utica in the Town of Morehouse.

I am at a pretty good elevation where I am and that matters greatly with the lake effect snows here. Caroga Lake is South of me and my have less snow. Things are melting fast with the high temperatures and run off was high.

Good luck... 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...