Who does it alone camping weekends? Logging trail snow tires

sailinghudson25

I'm in a hunting club with an 800 acre lease.  But about 5 serious hunters and a dozen Sunday atv drivers...

Im not leaving this club, but want to track in deeper woods.  I do have a canoe and a 14ft rowboat with outboard.

Who does deep woods multi day hunts alone?  Any tips?  I got an amateur radio license and a portable 2 meter.

Safety tips,  ultra light gear, extra precautions, extra safety gear, or terrain to avoid in these circumstances would be gladly appreciated. 

I'd rather do it alone then not at all.  Nobody is that into it, or is in good enough shape, or has the time.

For those who drive into nutty areas,  any tire advice?  I got 31x20.5x15 on a zr2 blazer with a rear locker and winch.  Buy chain for mud tires or some sort of studded snow.

In my opinion in the Adirondacks there isn't much reason to go that far back in. You get in 3 or 4 miles and you are more than by yourself and that's a pretty easy hike to do before daylight, something I do nearly everyday of deer season. Their are many areas in the Adirondacks that get very little hunting pressure. I have spent the night in the woods many times but it was usually because I was on a track that I didn't want to try to find the next day.

I don't have any special tired but I don't ever leave home with out tire chains during season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAM radio license is a smart move, though I'll admit I don't know how far your range will be in the ADK's vegetation and terrain.  I personally carry a Delorme Inreach Explorer, which is basically a 2-in-1 device: it provides GPS navigation as well as Sat-based communications.  As long as there is a GPS signal I can communicate with the outside world, so I feel a bit more confident pushing solo into remote areas.  It's pricey though.  A cheaper alternative could be an older GPS unit and an old style sat phone.

In addition to that electronic stuff, make sure you have at least a fundamental understanding of how to read a map and use a compass (that stuff should always be carried as a backup).  And always leave your hunting plans and trip details with a 3rd party, so that if you are overdue, people know where to look for you.

As for tires and vehicles in the ADK's, I'll say this: Some roads up there really aren't meant for modern 4wd vehicles; they were originally built with snow-mobiles and smaller logging machines in mind.  I've gone down some roads that dead-ended, and that had to do 500-point turns to turn around and get out.  You know your hunting lease better than I, so if you think your blazer can fit, go for it.  Otherwise a smaller ATV might make more sense.  31"s should be enough tire, just make sure you have a good set of A/T's or Mud Terrain's on there....you don't want to rely on road-oriented tires.  Don't bother with snows.  When the snow really starts to get get deep, you'll be better off with either an ATV or snow mobile.  Your locker will be a great help for certain situations (I've used mine a few times while in the back country).  Other aids like Max Trax or a winch might be a good idea depending on how far back you're going.

Edited by Padre86

Im pretty good with a topo map and compass.  I always remeber an out, like head east to stream, then take stream down to car.  Stuff like that.  I use topos all the time in the catskills, but have a GPS as backup or for marking interesting features.  Like spots to sit for deer, locating rubs,  oddball water holes, etc...

What else you like in the woods?   I have a woodstove tent, but not really portable.  It's a USGI 4 man tent, like the ones used in WWII and korea war.  It was made in 1993 though.  13ft octogon.  If I had a group of 3, I'd set it out back.  But, might be getting a lightweight tipi and packable stove soon.   Got a nice frame pack.  Could use a better day pack.

I'm looking for some great hunting clothes for stalking.  I got plenty of regular stuff.  Just looking for a thick fleece or wool.  Columbia and Cabelas have some nice snow camo in wool.   Any advice there.  

I got a browning BLR in 450 marlin with a 1.5x scope.  I reload the gun to a milder load.  A touch less than 45-70 power levels.  Easier on the recoil, which makes a followup shot a touch quicker.   Tempted to get a 7600.  I am assuming autoloader are frowned upon, due to ice jambing them up.   For now, my backup would wither be a remington 870 20ga with iron sights, or my marlin 336 with lyman peep sight.

Padre,

Tell me more about the Delorme inreach?  Does it have a subscription fee.  How much.  I'm seeing a few for $300 or less.  I could live with that.  What model do you have?  How long do that batteries live?  Is there an akaline backup battery module?  Does it have a low power mode?   

Also,

Do you hunt with others.  How do you find a hunting partner.  I know many who hunt, but few who would be into this.

Edited by sailinghudson25

Im pretty good with a topo map and compass.  I always remeber an out, like head east to stream, then take stream down to car.  Stuff like that.  I use topos all the time in the catskills, but have a GPS as backup or for marking interesting features.  Like spots to sit for deer, locating rubs,  oddball water holes, etc...

What else you like in the woods?   I have a woodstove tent, but not really portable.  It's a USGI 4 man tent, like the ones used in WWII and korea war.  It was made in 1993 though.  13ft octogon.  If I had a group of 3, I'd set it out back.  But, might be getting a lightweight tipi and packable stove soon.   Got a nice frame pack.  Could use a better day pack.
I'm looking for some great hunting clothes for stalking.  I got plenty of regular stuff.  Just looking for a thick fleece or wool.  Columbia and Cabelas have some nice snow camo in wool.   Any advice there.  

I got a browning BLR in 450 marlin with a 1.5x scope.  I reload the gun to a milder load.  A touch less than 45-70 power levels.  Easier on the recoil, which makes a followup shot a touch quicker.   Tempted to get a 7600.  I am assuming autoloader are frowned upon, due to ice jambing them up.   For now, my backup would wither be a remington 870 20ga with iron sights, or my marlin 336 with lyman peep sight.

I would highly recommend you stay away from Columbia or Cabelas "wool" its awful! It's all recycled and mixed with other materials. Good wool is expensive but worth every penny. Look into silent predator, that's what I have and couldn't be happier. With wool you want virgin and pure.

Blr's are ok just a little heavy and long for me.

Really you need to have 2 guns with you, one scoped and one without. When it's raining/snowing it is impossible to keep a scope clear and be ready for a quick shot.

Cartridge and bullet selection is very important when your still hunting/tracking because the buck you want most likely won't be standing broadside giving you the perfect shot. I want a bullet that will go end for end of the biggest deer and give me 2 holes. I'm a bit of a 35cal Nutt but with proper bullets most deer cartridges are capable of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, sailinghudson25 said:

Go to sportsman guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/).  They have a wide selection of military surplus gear and hunting gear, often for a decent price.  My take on hunting gear, especially clothing, is this: you want something that works (ie keeps you warm or dry, ect.), but spending $80-$100 on a pair of hunting pants at Cabellas is a bit ridiculous...everything is going to get torn or bloody at some point, especially up in the ADK's with its thick vegetation.   Don't spend more than you have to on this gear, because you'll inevitably end up replacing some of this stuff.  Now there is such a thing as going too cheap as well; but I've found that most of the stuff on sportsman guide has reasonable durability and quality.  The only thing I really spent big $ on was my hunting jacket...everything else (pants, gortex layers, shirts, gloves, socks, hat, ect.) I got at sportsman guide all for the price I would have paid for a typical pair of pants and shirts at Gander Mountain.

And yes, wool, wool, wool, or synthetic blends....anything that is cotton will retain its moisture which could be bad if you get stuck out in the woods.

18 hours ago, sailinghudson25 said:

Padre,

Tell me more about the Delorme inreach?  Does it have a subscription fee.  How much.  I'm seeing a few for $300 or less.  I could live with that.  What model do you have?  How long do that batteries live?  Is there an akaline backup battery module?  Does it have a low power mode?   

Also,

Do you hunt with others.  How do you find a hunting partner.  I know many who hunt, but few who would be into this.

The Delorme brand is now owned by Garmin, but the products have remained mostly the same thus far.  There is the Inreach (which is basically just a GPS communicator) and the Inreach Explorer (which is a communicator and GPS navigation unit).  $300-$350 is the norm for the Explorer.  It does require a subscription fee.  You can choose to run it month-by-month for $15-$17 per month I think.  I run it all year round for a the lowest fee possible ($13/month).  There are other subscription fees that will give you different data usage options (similar to a cellphone plan) but they all give you the same basic features: texting, emergency SOS capabilities, GPS navigation, tracking, access to Delorme's electronic map library.  When the SOS option is activated, the signal goes to a private emergency call center (GEOS) that is monitoring 24/7; that call center informs the local authorities of your position so they can coordinate a rescue.

With your purchase and subscription you get access to Delorme's (now Garmin's) iphone app Earthmate (I think there is an Android version too).  This allows your phone or mobile device to pair with your inreach so that you can basically do everything from your phone.  It also gives you access to the previously mentioned maps, of which there are many (Sat imagery, US Quad, Delorme's digital Topo map, Nautical maps, a generic street map).  These maps are second-to-none in terms of variety and detail (they're just as good as Delorme's paper atlases because that's what they're based on).  The only real downside to the Exporer's maps is: 1) you can only view them on the paired mobile device (the older Explorer doesn't actually display maps on its screen, but the newer model does); and 2) the maps for areas outside the US (Canada for example) are lacking, though this might be fixed shortly now that Garmin owns the company.

It's a great, durable device...good enough that I've dropped it in water, exposed it to all kinds of abuse in the woods and it has never stopped working.  This thing is built for outdoor use.  With the device running continuously on the lowest power setting, I'd  imagine you can get 1.5-3.5 days of use out of it (depending on the signal strength and weather).  However, I only power it on when I absolutely need it, and so it can last at least a week or two if you use it like that.  It has an internal battery that can't be swapped out and needs to be charged at an outlet...so no battery swaps out in the field.

It's a great device.  You should give it a look: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269

UP in the ADK's I generally hunt by myself (which is why I spent $ on the Explorer).  I do leave my hunting plans with family and I occasionally text them from the field to let them know where I'm at (the Explorer automatically provides a link to an online map to show anyone receiving my message where I sent it from).  I'm not opposed to hunting with someone else up there, I just haven't met anyone in my area who likes to hunt up there.

Edited by Padre86

Does the gamin text just go to a predetermined phone number, or you can pick on the go?

Far as hunting clothes....

What good jacket did you get?  Fleece I find is too thin.  Typical hunting coat too warm.  White over layer camo jacket holds in moisture.  A good lead would be great.

Also, I'm still looking for a comfortable non sweaty back pack.  With the pack, do you bring an extra layer if you get lost?  Or do you put an extra layer on when going the slow slow pace.

In PA during flintlock season I wear traditional Woolrich mackinaw.  That works good, but the density is high enough where cursing for tracks is futile.  There's enough around to slow stalk.

Are you a pants or bib guy?

Amy places you tend to avoid, terrain wise.  

Edited by sailinghudson25

My personal recommendation is, if you haven't experienced deep deep woods in the ADK's then you might want to limit your overnight to a couple miles in if you're going alone. Camping in the deep woods isn't like pitching a tent in an ADK campground. Just walking in a few miles can be grueling for an extremely fit person. Getting a deer out by yourself even more so.

I always pack lightly... no 50 lb. pack in for me. I always plan my way in and out before leaving. When I was youngerI made some trips without telling anyone exactly where I was going and when I planned on being out. That was stupid! I was lucky nothing happened because no one would have been able to find me.

Plan well... don't take the ADK's lightly... there has been many a "good woodsman" that never made it back out after going in.

• Like 2

Bring a GPS, maps, 2 compasses, extra flashlights, 2 knives, batteries and bulbs and wear really good boots, bring as much food as you can as this trip will use vast amounts of energy, water purifier is much lighter than hiking in liquids.  Try to avoid any really steep rocky terrain especially when wet.  Clothes really depends on the person and time of year, some people require more than others and some sweat more than others so usually you have to find what is best for you.  Wool is good but if you are in an extended rain it can get really heavy, some of the newer blends have better waterproofing to keep you dry.  If you plan on staying more than 2 nights you might want to pack in the food and gear first then go in with your clothes and equipment next.  Typically I bring a packed raingear in camo as extra wind, rain and cold protection.

Make sure you tent is waterproof well and you have a ground tarp to keep any water out.  I stay away from propane and gas and tend to use a grill and wood for fires and cooking.  GPS Locators are great for emergency, float plan when solo is a must as mentioned. 

Get in shape, I did a remote excursion down the cold river many years ago, by the time I was at the destination I basically passed out for 2 days trying to recover, lol.  If the hike in does not get you the mountains will.  Like Joe says if you have never done this before it can be grueling and calamity seems to follow those who do not take it serious. 

Best advice is to be prepared for anything and remember if you get a deer you have to drag it out.  Dragging a 180lbs deer out a few miles can be a real pain with friends, solo is extremely difficult.

• Like 2

I don't get the whole deer drag solo thing.  I have had deer in over a mile before.  I've just quartered them and pack out the meat on a frame pack. Some deer it's one rough trip,  or if the terrain is rough, I bring half and hang the other half in a tree.

In spits in PA, I've walked maybe 2 miles in.  I usually glass well at each hill peak until I get to where I want, then go slow.

Anyone boat in from stillwater reservoir or did big moose plains area?  Just wondering how crowded it gets.

There's a few camp struggling in the stillwater big moose rd area.  The lousy winters have dwindled the hunters and snowmobilers, and thus the membership.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2017 at 5:45 PM, sailinghudson25 said:

I don't get the whole deer drag solo thing.  I have had deer in over a mile before.  I've just quartered them and pack out the meat on a frame pack. Some deer it's one rough trip,  or if the terrain is rough, I bring half and hang the other half in a tree.

In spits in PA, I've walked maybe 2 miles in.  I usually glass well at each hill peak until I get to where I want, then go slow.

Anyone boat in from stillwater reservoir or did big moose plains area?  Just wondering how crowded it gets.

There's a few camp struggling in the stillwater big moose rd area.  The lousy winters have dwindled the hunters and snowmobilers, and thus the membership.

The reality is most deer taken up in the ADK's, especially if it is a mile or mile off trail, will have to be field dressed and quartered for a solo hunt.  Dragging or even carrying in some of that terrain just isn't practical (or safe if you're trudging through blowdown).  Now, if you're hunting on private land or or a lease where some amount of motorized extraction is allowed, you might plan things differently, but for a solo hunt in Wild Forest (where motorized traffic is restricted to designated roads) and wilderness areas (where there is hardly any road access to begin with) you don't have many options outside of pull carts or sleds.

I haven't hunted stillwater yet, though I want to at some point.  I've hiked and bushwhacked up in that area a bit and supposedly the deer #'s are pretty decent up there (at least relative to the rest of the ADK's).  There is a hunting lease off of Raven Lake, with rights to a dirt road (necessary dam Rd).  The public can't drive the road (which is BS IMO) but you can hike in on it to get into some very remote country.  You should check out that area ahead of time....it's a big area and you really need to get a feel for how the wildlife moves in that area before you just start picking spots to hunt from.  Don't know much about how the hunting camps have been doing up there.  I've run into a few over the last few years.  I think hunting in general in the ADK's has become less popular over the years because it's generally a lot tougher than throwing up a stand in some farm field in western NY (which isn't a knock on western NY hunting, because that's where I hunt whenever I'm not in the ADK's).  Deer aren't as plentiful up there.  A lot more logistics to camping and getting deer out of there.  More difficult terain. ect.   It's a challenge and beautiful if you like that kind of remote wilderness....just don't expect to come away with a deer every year.

Edited by Padre86