Campers

Doewhacker

Haven't had to recoat any thing as I have the new one but they do make rubber roof specific products that you can buy through any camper dealer. They also have products to clean the roof before you reseal which you may want to do? I'm sure the stuff you found will work just fine, I remember my grandfather slopping  that stuff on his camper....ahh memories

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantail, I used to do it on my popup, redoing the caulk every couple of seasons was a pain, so last year I completely redid it and coated it with a rubberized coating. If you do this, DO NOT buy it from an RV dealer or source. The stuff they sell is wayyyyyyy more expensive than the same thing at the hardware store. The stuff I used is an elastomeric roof sealant called Kool Seal.

Here is what I did:

-clean out ALL old sealer (caulk) from the seams, etc. If you dont clean it completely, the new stuff wont last. Its a pain in the ass, but necessary

-use regular painter's caulk to fill in the seams. Make sure you smooth it out and let it cure completely

-after caulk is done, clean the whole roof with Simple green to get rid of any dirt or debris

-coat roof with 2 or 3 coats of Kool Seal

-after allowing Kool Seal to cure, paint with 2 good coats of Exterior Latex Paint

The only maintenance you will have to do is to recoat with the latex paint every 2 or 3 seasons. Its a ton easier than redoing the caulk.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got into the camping world. After year and years of my wife letting me support my fishing/hunting and toys habit she asked if we could get a pop up. I was trying for an ATV but figured since she usually lets me buy what ever I want I'd get her one. Since it was our first i didn't want to break the bank so I picked up a used 1999 Jayco 12UDK eagle. It has a all brand new tent / screen. Can't wait to get out and camp.

• 2 weeks later...

Well a google pic of that model looks roomy enough. Got a privacy stall in the mix for a toilet / shower stall? This one seems ok, BPS used to sell one it was about the same size as a t/p style blind.

So who's doing any camping this weekend? We got 2 decent sunny days comming up, sounds just about right to take care of some things then cook out.

Thanks Doe! Feels great to have a camper again! Im doing the same thing now, beer in hand, porterhouses on the grill, but Im at home lol. Now for the down low...

A couple of months ago, as many of you know, I sold my old popup and bought an ATV. Well, about a week after I bought the wheeler, I started feeling a little guilty for buying it. I was thinking of it like I was taking something away from the family and being selfish. Have I ever told you how much I hate being grown up?? Anyway, I started thinking about listing the ATV and trailer on Craigslist, and the other day I went ahead and did it. To make too long of a story short, a guy came this morning and put his money down for the wheeler and trailer, and as luck would have it, I found the deal on the camper. Now, the camper had some leaks and water damage, and the people that I bought it from got screwed on it last year. They paid something like 6 or 7 grand for it and then discovered the damage. They ended up taking a big loss on it, and I felt a little bad for them, but I gave them what I felt was fair for the camper. I have some tearing down to do, a roof to coat and floor areas to replace, but nothing I cant handle. I figure Ill put about another $1000 into it and have a camper that will last a long, long time. The Durango tows it like a dream, as it only weighs about 3800lbs dry.  The owners threw in everything they had for it, including the weight distribution system and a full camper cover brand new in the box. Here she is...

2011-06-18152835.jpg

2011-06-18175713.jpg

2011-06-18175732.jpg

2011-06-18175743.jpg

2011-06-18175802.jpg

Looks ok from here ;) Once your done with the repairs I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

One of my next trips up to camp will involve some roof coating/sealing to. This weekend would have been good for that actually, plenty of sun & dry weather - well there's always something to do up there.

Yeah shes not in that bad of shape now that Ive looked it over thoroughly. Just have to seal the roof seams, which Ill be doing with Eterna-bond, then I am going to seal the seams on the front panel with Eterna-bond as well. Next, Ill pull the bed and water tank out of the front and replace the floor with marine grade plywood, and replace the wall panels in the closets with luane. After that, Im going to put new flooring in and put it back together. Ill have less than $500 into it and a couple of weekends of work. No big deal. Seeing as blue book on it is over $6k and I paid $2500, Id say I got a great deal.  ;)

Looks ok from here ;) Once your done with the repairs I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

One of my next trips up to camp will involve some roof coating/sealing to. This weekend would have been good for that actually, plenty of sun & dry weather - well there's always something to do up there.

Fantail, what are you planning to do for the roof job? Does yours have an aluminum skinned roof or is it a rubber roof?

Well it's a `68 definatly not a rubber roof, saw a few rust spots so I don't think aluminum either. Next time I'm up I'm going to try and remember to bring a a portable level, or something that's got a magnet. Anyhow I'm not sure on the product, if it is aluminum then a fibered aluminum coating would make more sence then something elastomeric I would think.

Well, the Eternabond tape will stick to anything, and doenst need to be replaced for 20+ years, so I would say run that over all seals and around any vents, ect instead of any caulk type sealant. The coating is pretty much up to you, but I would say Kool Seal. Their elastomeric sealant goes on nice and thick and sticks very well on painted aluminum, so I would guess it would work just fine on steel. It is white, so it will reflect heat, flexible, so it can move with temp changes and it has a 10 year warranty. You can pick it up at Lowes (possibly other home improvement stores) and you roll it on with a deep knap roller.

Just my 2 cents.

Actually the white kool-seal is an excellent recomendation.

Metal is in it's application list. Had a little trouble figguring the coverage but their calc indicates about 2-gal. Since the roof does not leak I thought to get by without the tape. Even though that added investment would certainly make sence before coating and maybe squeeze a few more years out of the old woodsman.

going to camp redneck style this weekend. We are staying at a buddies house in his drivway for the weekend. End of the month heading to east coast resorts then west canada creek camp ground. I'm excited.

Bring your pole....the West Canada is probably the most underrated and best kept secret for trout waters in NY. I grew up right near there and the fishing has always been great. Take the kiddies digging Herkimer Diamonds too....they will get a kick out of that