Around the Firepit

Fantail

Just to start this off, I do like to make use of the pit. Currently it's a 3x2' concrete block pit with a small brick wind break up front - nothing to fancy. I keep it covered when I'm away to help keep it from getting soaked. It's placed close but far enough away from camp itself so any smoke that blows in that direction isn't a problem. And angled so the front is just about right as well. Just saying you don't want to set `em up wrong into the normal wind direction for example.

Usually have the fire closer to the front seems to burn the hottest plus I can pre-dry any wet cuts towards the rear. I use a metal post to hang a Dutch Oven now and then, and a grill - grate to Q off of. Tell you all what realy helps is a pit glove. Some kind of heavy duty work glove if anything you can rotate blocks or turn 1/2 burnt cuts with. And, - of course - a pit stick. ;)

Got a chain saw when I need it, regular axe plus a hand axe which gets alot of use. I think a camp without one is incomplete. Found one of the best times to prep some kindling for an evening fire is when you get in after a morning run so it's ready when you get back. And that is usually as it's getting dark anyway.

If you keep plenty of firewood around like I do it's important to keep it off the ground. One or two old pallets or some salvaged pt boards works good. I never burn pt or painted wood in the pit. If fuel prices continue the way it's going then I don't plan to do so many convenience - propane runs, given decent weather the 'pit' will see more use. The whole thing adds a great atmoshere, plus when it's time to hit the sleeping bag without any other light up it's quite dark at camp, it's some extra work but well worth it.

So, what are you guys running for a pit?

Btw; last pic of the trail has nothing to do with the pit, but it's still sweet  ;)

post-3-131455425952_thumb.jpg

post-3-131455425965_thumb.jpg

post-3-131455425988_thumb.jpg

At campI have a 12" long section of  36" diameter schedule 40 steel pipe. It sets up on bricks for air and works great. I mad t grates using stainless steel ones out of an old oven. handles out of angle iron and we cook on them. (chicken halves just like the firemans chicken BBques) I made two brackets that slip onto the pipe and we mount the battery operated rotisserie motor on it to do things like venison hind quarters and pork loins. Nothing beats a roaring fire in the pit!

I will get some pics as soon as te snow gets out of camp...lol

I aquired a Skidder rim from a logger friend, cut a piece of steel mech grate to cover the center hub hole. Layed up paver blocks around the perimeter and topped with cap blocks to add that finished look.

It is a good combination of diameter/depth to make a great sittin' around/cookin' fire or a roarin'/beer drinkin'/ horseshoe throwin' party fire............................

FDXX75

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A horseshoe pit would be a good addition. But the next run back up to camp, hopefully in about 2 weeks will be to get some work done. Was up there a few weeks ago with the Poulan, cutting up a tree that fell over the main path. Jeep took the ride up ok, seasonal road was packed down snow, I think some of the snowmobilers I saw probably thought I was nuts.

Need to take the utility trailer, a little fill, the pick, shovel etc., and clear - level out enough in front of the camp to be able to manuver the camper into. Might not sound like much but most of you guys know, that could take all day. Pit was in good shape, covered with some plywood over winter. Looking forward to when I can get up there & use the dutch oven again. Realy like that thing.

A fire pit is on my list now too. Just got a camp and the last guy was using a freestanding steel fireplace like 70s era for a fire pit. I wanted to build a stone circle but may go with the square cinder block now that I have seen Fantail's. Want to build a couple of benches too. Maybe just double up some blocks and attach 2x8s. Any ideas or pics?

Well, my take on benches for camp is for coolers or gear not for the seats at the pit. I mean the thing is with a portable folding / lawn chair you can quickly move it to be closer to the fire, away from the smoke etc.

Speaking of getting away from the smoke ..... Has anyone figured out what scientific principle is involved with the fact that campfire smoke always blows in your direction no matter how many times you change position?

• 2 weeks later...

So the other weekend I was up to camp getting some prep work done, and made sure the logs from the tree I cut up were out of any mud. It fell right accrost the path, while that's all clear now I started thinking about all the free (- the work) firewood I don't have to bring up. Would be enough to fill the back of the Jeep twice over. Only bad part is it's pine. It was down over the winter, if I let it season up for next year it should be ok.

Usuall routine is I have a tree or two's worth cut up in my back-yard and bring it up in the u/t as I need it or so. Got an electric chainsaw so I don't disturb the neighbors and a sludge & wedge makes for a good workout. No, I don't live next to the woods but I watch for ads in craigslist for people getting rid of a tree they had cut or spot one cut down while driving around. Never fails, can't remember the last time I actually bought firewood. Of course you need some room - an area to store / cycle the wood but it's realy not that bad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A make shift fix for grilling or dutch oven cooking when its raining - large enough chunk of particle board or plywood & 2 3' lengths of 4x4 proped up at a slight angle against the outside blocks to hold up the cover.

• 1 month later...

I expiramented with the Eureka 12v bug zapper this weekend.

3 out of 5 stars.  :D :-\ :-X

Who doesn't like to be bug free as possible when your camping, trying to cook out or just enjoying a good fire?

By itself the unit doesn't have the nads to kill bigger bugs - moths. But it does attract bugs away from where you are. And if you pair it with a pic strip or two that will snag alot of `em. It comes with a 12' lead & 12v socket-plug.

post-3-131455458056_thumb.jpg

post-3-131455458069_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Used the new chainsaw to buck two trees at my freinds camp then split `em with the HF 10-ton splitter last Sunday. The chainsaw is a poulan pro 18' from Lowes. It is not an industrial grade saw like a husky the same size. I did a review on lowes for it. But it seems to make a decent camp saw. The spliter - hand operated Harbor Freight deal. The work was actualy kinda fun, while securing some Turkey time in 7r;) Got about a 1/2 cord ready to go at my camp & near the same amount of work to cut up for the fall.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...