Gurgle-Gurgle

Doc

So what does it mean when you hear a loud gurgling sound coming from the bath tub drain whenever large amounts of water are put into the system? ....toilet flushes, dishwasher empties, etc.

Edited by Doc

I read your thread the other day but don't recall if I responded to that one but...........

I was at my .FIL's home in Florida last week and we had some septic trouble too.  He lived there alone each year from October to May then would come up here so his system is "used" to his low water consumption/waste being sent through.  Back in early January he had to come back north and is in an assisted living facility here in WNY.  My wife and I went down to FL to prepare the home for sale.  One morning she had just finished in the shower and then I jumped in.  As I was showering I heard that gurgle gurgle sound coming from the toilet.  When I got out of the shower I noticed that the toilet was full......damn.  I tried plunging and just made a mess. 

The call was made to the Honey Dippers and they came later that next day.  (good thing as the ground in his backyard is super hard and I was running out of places to bury things :)  )

They pumped it then had to power flush it (I even got to help run the machine) after pulling the second lid on the tank.  They flushed it from the tank back to the house and the blockage was visibly seen and cleared.

$500 later we were back up and running.

Although I've certainly heard of RidX, I had no experience with it.  My FIL said he used it every month but I think he is FOS.  He had 3-4 old containers in the garage, all about half gone.  The septic guys said RidX was junk, the stuff they sold was 100% better.  (no surprise!)

They were saying that it is an absolute necessity to use some form of that type product in the system.  I thought that was curious because although I've never owned a home with a septic, a bunch of my friends have them and I've never heard reference them using RidX EVER.  Now I'm curious and will be sure to ask.......

Good luck Doc, crapping in a 5gal bucket ain't the worst, digging the holes is where the trouble lies. :)

36 minutes ago, Trad bow said:

We have a bathroom that doesn't get used much on the first floor and the wood stove in the basement seems to make the water in the trap dry up then it gurgles loudly I just pour a picture of water in and the gurgle is gone .

What is the picture of, Niagara Falls?

You'd think that wouldn't help at all.............weird.

:)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I figured that it was a trapped air problem, but got a little concerned because the gurgling noises started just before the  crap eruption in the basement that started all the septic nonsense. But I guess I am coming to the conclusion that the two things are not related. The gurgling noises seem to be getting more and more intermittent, so I am doing a wait and see thing right now. The noise doesn't really bother anything as long as it is not a sign of other ugly things getting ready to happen.

I sometimes get a gurgling sound when I am in the bathroom but it's usually due to something I ate . It often goes away after a few minutes of sitting .

Good luck Doc . Hope it's just something simple . It could be from the Dunkin' Donuts coffee you drink ! 

• Like 1

Those gurgles I understand and they serve as an early warning device to alert anyone in the vicinity to run for their lives ...... it's going to blow! And a deadly secret weapon of mass destruction is about to wipe out all population in the immediate area. Yes, Dunkin Donuts coffee is the fuel.