lost a good man wednesday.need time in woods

doebuck1234

1 hour ago, doebuck1234 said:

In the process of filling out pistol permit.not sure if anyone knows off hand but just curious to this.if the pistols are in my name on my permit.do they have to be on the premises i live at or can they be on the premises i hunt aswell

From Monroe County:

Adding a Firearm from a Deceased Individual - In order to add a firearm from a deceased individual, you will need a custody report from a police agency, a Letter of Testamentary from Surrogate's Court that shows the appointment of an Executor or Administrator of the estate (contact Surrogates Court for proper paperwork at 585-371-3310), a notarized statement from the Executor or Administrator of the estate granting permission to the person wishing to add the firearm, and a copy of the death certificate. We also ask that you provide the decedent's pistol permit if available. For your convenience, please use the following form which serves as the notarized statement from the Executor/Administrator of the Estate when wanting to add a firearm from a deceased person.

**Please note that your Brady Check must be current prior to the addition of any firearm from an individual. This check must be completed once every 5 years and there is no cost to the permit holder. Please complete the Brady Check form and return it to our office for processing; you may not submit the form directly to law enforcement. You will receive the completed Brady check in the mail for your own personal records. Once you receive this paperwork, you will be allowed to add firearms from an individual.

From Genesee County:

Death of a Permit Holder

New York State Law requires that upon a permit holder’s death, the decedent’s estate must, within 15 days, turn over the decedent’s firearm(s) to another pistol permit holder; a licensed dealer; or the local police department.

The estate is also requested to notify the Genesee County Pistol Permit clerk of the permit holder’s passing, please complete the Estate Bill of Sale, this will include information about the disposition of the firearm(s), along with a copy of the death certificate so that the license may be cancelled.  END OF QUOTE

Since you do not have a permit and it will take you 6 months to a year to get one I would secure the ownership to someone you will be able to get them from later. What ever address ends up on your pistol permit is where the guns will expected to be. If something should happen and they were not in your possession at the time it could be pretty nasty.

If you wish to keep them someplace other than your residence you would be better off "co-owning" with someone else and that can be a royal pain also. Wherever they go you may want to make copies of his permit and keep them with each gun until things get finalized. Good luck!

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

Sorry for your loss.  I know it hurts and I hope you had many years of time spent together afield. Remember what he taught you to pass along and remember all those good times together.

I had 5 years hunting rabbits, going frogging, and crabbing with my grandfather. The last season he was around his health was to bad to go out. He never got to see my first deer or buck, let alone any grand-kids go off to college at the family Alma Mater, get married or any great-grandkids being born.  He died Labor Day weekend when I was a junior in high school.  Still miss him 30+ years later - during season, July 4th weekend and Thanksgiving when we spent the most time together.

I have his daily-carry pocket knife, barn-coat style hunting jacket, hunting suspenders, and his deer rifle.  They go afield with me at some point every season.  My son has his folding buck knife that I used to learn how to sharpen a knife back in Cubscouts.

They may not be valuable, but the are to me.  I am sure it will be the same for you.

Eventually it will hurt less.

When you are out afield, you may still feel his hand on your back or his presence guiding your hunt.  Let that comfort you and console you.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Two Track said:

Sorry for your loss.  I know it hurts and I hope you had many years of time spent together afield. Remember what he taught you to pass along and remember all those good times together.

I had 5 years hunting rabbits, going frogging, and crabbing with my grandfather. The last season he was around his health was to bad to go out. He never got to see my first deer or buck, let alone any grand-kids go off to college at the family Alma Mater, get married or any great-grandkids being born.  He died Labor Day weekend when I was a junior in high school.  Still miss him 30+ years later - during season, July 4th weekend and Thanksgiving when we spent the most time together.

I have his daily-carry pocket knife, barn-coat style hunting jacket, hunting suspenders, and his deer rifle.  They go afield with me at some point every season.  My son has his folding buck knife that I used to learn how to sharpen a knife back in Cubscouts.

They may not be valuable, but the are to me.  I am sure it will be the same for you.

Eventually it will hurt less.

When you are out afield, you may still feel his hand on your back or his presence guiding your hunt.  Let that comfort you and console you.

It already hurts a little less knowing hes still with me in the woods.i know he was so frustrated not being able to go hunting with me as he told me last year a number of times.my mother found a pic of me when i was 5 my grandmother took with her Polaroid.alot of memories that will never fade.just gives me more drive to be in the great outdoors

part0(10).jpg

• Like 6

It already hurts a little less knowing hes still with me in the woods.i know he was so frustrated not being able to go hunting with me as he told me last year a number of times.my mother found a pic of me when i was 5 my grandmother took with her Polaroid.alot of memories that will never fade.just gives me more drive to be in the great outdoors

part0(10).jpg

Great picture and that was the day I got married. I still have a few Polaroids my grandmother took in the early 90s too. Memories to last a lifetime!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1