Cut down trees in a plot or not?

Topic says it. Old clover plot I'm updating question is should I take down the small trees in the plot? I saw them eating the buds in October last year when nothing else was in the plot. Everything I see and hear looks cookie cutter about food plots but I would like to leave them. Interested in any input as this is my first shot at this.

Screenshot_20170521-214508.png

• Like 1

You can trim them up and keep them small for a while..brush and small trees are good to break up the wide open feel. Trim them right and you'll have a few decent x-mas trees to cut.. when you get close to cutting..plant New trees ,like semi or dwarf Apple's,cherries late pears or peaches.. even better chestnuts where they won't shade the plot.hazelnut.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 3

I'd leave em for a bit and do as grow said plant a couple hard or soft mast trees in there. Based on the season you want to hunt there. Early, mid, late. Then cut those pines n such down after the one who ones take off well

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I think it's one of you two but what is the benefit of creating large brush piles around your plot besides marking your land? I say this because I have plenty of tops and would rather create bedding using these. I think stacking tops in thick briars would be better then just putting them around the food plot what are your tboughts?

That and if you set them right you have wind snow breaks  and I can tell you if you do this and rabbit hunt you will increase your rabbit population. Also if you make them tall enough and maintain the height over the years you will have create cover to move in and out of your stand I have hundreds of yards of them all over our place... also because I make most of my brush blinds wide and tall enough to use a nice lawn chair as my seat...I don't have the deer taking even a second glance at any of my brush blinds.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

I'm no expert on plot layouts, but I have a few opinions based on field encounters in similar situations.

I personally would leave the trees.

For one, sometimes it's hard to get drawn on a deer in a wide open field. By leaving those few scattered trees you can increase your draw options or better prepare for a potential shot opp as the deer moves around and is screened by the ground level cover.

Secondly- when hunting wide open grassy fields/clearings like that, I'll sometimes snap a 4 or 5ft section of leafy sapling off in the early season and jam it into the ground within bow range. Something about that lone branch towering above everything else in the middle of nowhere draws every deer that enters the field in like a magnet. Most all of them come over to scent check the "new growth". A few young trees like those, left in the right position could turn out to be one of the landmarks every buck on the block checks out during the rut as soon as he enters the plot.

Edited by wooly
  • Like 4

Wooly, do that broken branch trick and set up a browning!! Lol I know what you mean. I've done it as well. This year I want to build a glorified "hopefully" community rub post in one or 2 of my plots. With a browning set over it of course

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Wooly, do that broken branch trick and set up a browning!! Lol I know what you mean. I've done it as well. This year I want to build a glorified "hopefully" community rub post in one or 2 of my plots. With a browning set over it of course

I know it doesn't look or sound like much, but for someone who's never tried it they might be really surprised at the results!

I always get scared about leaving cams up over them since I'm never sure when or what machinery will be passing through to cut any given day of the week. Might try it this year if I can set one up right on the edge somewhere.

This is from one of last falls archery ground hunts. I just hide in the goldenrod here and that little sapling takes all their attention off me.

DSC_0257.JPG

• Like 2

Agreed, i have a couple spots that I dont like  leaving cams up on field edges. I had my first cam stolen last year. Glad it was not any of my Browning cams. Im pretty sure i know who took it and they live in PA, come up to gun hunt. Im anxiously awaiting July so i can put the cams back out and see what they look like this year! 

I have a narrow plot.. about 60'W x 500'L that I left a couple younger trees growing near my stand. One, a Spruce my dad used as a yardage marker (23yrds) and a couple others one an Ash and the other Im not sure, has huge round leaves. But anyway, I planted 2 varieties of Apple Trees at each end of the plot, and a few in the center as they grow I will eventually take down the trees I left and let these grow, plus the new trees hopefully segregates the plot some which i am hoping to use to my advantage. Block entry points with brush(done) and funnel them in certain spots.

I agree with the others regarding brush piles.

I'm going to disagree about cutting the trees. I would cut those trees down in a NY minute. Unless I'm missing something, that plot looks to be less than an acre. Getting them out of the way will make plowing, disc'ing, liming, mowing etc a lot easier.  At they grow it will only get worse. 

• Like 1

Trees brush, the more the merrier...All of my plots incorporate not only trees but lots of brush...they weave in and out of it....and so do the animals....last 4 picks same small plot different angle. I have gotten some of my best pics off this area and some fine deer as well as several turkey.

IMAG0001.JPG

ccfull front 8-8-15.JPG

PICT0060.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

PICT0230.JPG

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Coachdad said:

I'm going to disagree about cutting the trees. I would cut those trees down in a NY minute. Unless I'm missing something, that plot looks to be less than an acre. Getting them out of the way will make plowing, disc'ing, liming, mowing etc a lot easier.  At they grow it will only get worse. 

It's a clover plot.. Not much need for plowing.. Spray herbicides..scratch and plant..  Though I agree for plowing a larger area free and clear is nice..though to big and deer won't enter it till dark.. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coachdad said:

I have all day brother. To me this is my vacation, I have been focused on my business for a bit and have rediscovered my love of being outside. You are right it's just a little bigger then 1/2 acre. Also thanks for the advice.