Feeding your birds

growalot

Yes I know its more land management,but most think deer there. Also good to know what wild things to look for on public land. 

Of course you have the clovers..turkey love it for greens and bugging. Then yes those fruit trees,let me tell you the son of a guns will hop 3 ft for a peach and love pears, mulberry will feed them all summer through fall. Wild treats oaks , goose berry, current, hophorn, locust, may apples,wild apple, honey suckle and dogvwood brush Autumn olive, all the bramble and willd raspberry, wild rose. So much more but those are the obviouse easiest to recognize. Bugs... man look for a grass hopper hatch in spring..you can literally hear the leaf litter move in front of you as you walk. Beetles and they love red worms and grubs..bulb crops will grow both in great numbers. I leave winter grains for tall chick cover,bugging and seed. The WR is just showing the seed heads. Of course pine inthe fall pine cone seeds,beech, wild cherry, choke cherry basswood,maple seeds, wild boxwood. Wild grapes,wild peas ,and vetches. Flower heads.

Fall turkey scout those hophorn,and beech...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I hunt mainly public land. So no feeding/baiting birds for me. I hunt the traditional way. Scout, hit the woods, shock call to locate, soft talk on the pot call, and just hunt.

Next season I am going to try a bit more run & gun. 

8 hours ago, growalot said:

Also good to know what wild things to look for on public land. 

Nah.... just roam around the woods and call.

As long as you did some roaming around the woods before season it counts as scouting,lol

• Like 2

Turkeys are super adaptive, even more-so than deer.  I plant clover that the turkeys use.  I'm with Turkeyfeathers!  A couple ounces of shot.  BOOM! Right where the corn goes in!  (Not where corn comes out.)  

Most of the things that I do for deer also benefit turkeys.  

9 minutes ago, growalot said:

Hunting close to houses?

9 minutes ago, growalot said:

Hunting close to houses?

Yes, gotta play the cards you are dealt with. I have seen bird seed and cracked corn in their craws before, but cat food is a first. Not sure of the brand, but it looked like this:

8946113-Colorful-cat-food-Stock-Photo.jpg

• Like 1

Mr B was stopped getting ready to turn up our road and saw a crow fly by with a field mouse moving in it's beak...He Was surprised they would hunt live rodents. So I'm not surprised turkey would eat /kill live prey...though might have been self defensie ...lol

I always check their crop when cleaning a turkey. Found the usual greens, seed, bugs, but the best was a 14" garden snake. 

Fall bird was stuffed with skunk cabbage seeds 90488fb9f5253fd744a9228b40b95b86.jpg. I always like finding spiders that crawl out and night crawlers. That snake would have freaked me out though. And I don't mind snakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, growalot said:

Mr B was stopped getting ready to turn up our road and saw a crow fly by with a field mouse moving in it's beak...He Was surprised they would hunt live rodents. So I'm not surprised turkey would eat /kill live prey...though might have been self defensie ...lol

A turkey will eat anything small enough to swallow, and slow enough to catch.

• Like 4

That's pretty much an early spring flower, they like the flower heads...unlike the violets that hang on all summer.... Our woods are covered in them.imageproxy.php?img=&key=0f83455fcf3d9771 We also have Harbinger of spring , which the bulbs are edible for humans and animals...

close look at picture and you can see the little white flowers in bottom of pic.

IMG_0288.JPG

Edited by growalot

I like to hunt food areas but actually un like a whole lot of hunters I know my wild plants..grasses confuse me a bit but flowers,fruits...knowing when a flush of a particular plant shows up in a spring where they weren't before can show me movement changes. That and or an influx of certain animals when things flower and seed when they drop seed...what bugs things attract and when...Today I was watching the grasshopper hatch moving along when I realized I was also standing in a particular spider hatch and had 100's of  parson spiders,that were also feeding on these grasshopper nymphs. I hate spiders these  are considered a hunting spider in that they do not make webs to catch prey.